Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Are you sure it's not just the strap that smells?

And what was this guy smoking?
him and his wife just smokes a ton of cigarettes. I want to be mad at them, but I sent the camera there, and I'm a former smoker myself, so I should have known what to expect.

04-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

I'm not really sure though what you mean by "Inside" though..
The outside doesn't smell at all. It's inside the mirrorbox, the battery compartment, and the SD slot. The lens also smells on the inside, sniffing from the mount end.
04-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
The outside doesn't smell at all. It's inside the mirrorbox, the battery compartment, and the SD slot. The lens also smells on the inside, sniffing from the mount end.
Then wiping down or fabreeze isn't going to help you.. The charcoal is probably going to be your best bet. They must smoke a carton a day for a week to have that much affect.

Good luck with it.

04-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Then wiping down or fabreeze isn't going to help you.. The charcoal is probably going to be your best bet. They must smoke a carton a day for a week to have that much affect.

Good luck with it.

I wasn't there, but I'm betting that it's more of an issue of buildup inside the house. Thanks for the good ideas and the words of encouragement!

04-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Oh yeah..if you can find activated charcoal then that would be better.
Baking soda and charcoal has been used to eliminate the odor in refridgerators.
I would agree with Gerry here.

Did forget that you put it next to your nose...I can see how this would be frustrating
04-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

That seriously sucks... I think the safest method is to wait it out. I agree with the charcoal and baking soda ideas as well.

Unfortunately I suspect that the odour is coming from smoke particles that must have become deposited inside the camera. Short of using compressed air or maybe placing it in a vacuum (absence of air, not the cleaning machine) I'm not sure what else you can do.

Maybe you've seen this link? Remove Cigarette Smoke Odor

Have the camera thermo-fogged or use ozone?

I dunno, maybe one of these suggestions will help.
04-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Ugh!

Reminds me of a pub here in town. They started to clean the ceiling after the smoking ban came into force. But when they saw the patch of white they realised a full cleaning would totally change the decor.

So the smoke colour stayed. And now there's one little patch of clean white on the ceiling!
We tried cleaning this too but there was no point. This is the result of 15 years of sitting on the couch with a 40 ouncer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Taking a break only to go get more or pass out. In the end a scrub down followed by oil based stain killer was the only way to cover it to the point where it wouldn't bleed through. There wasn't a square inch in the house that one didn't stick to if touched. If you sat on the furniture, you had to peel yourself off to stand up. Of course, the real result, the man died of brain cancer or liver failure. They couldn't really tell which one got him.

04-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Seems like an Ozone generator is pretty effective. You can DIY one using a high voltage transformer.

However, please note that high voltage and ozone both come with risks, so use caution when building an ozone generator.

How to Make a Homemade Ozone Generator | eHow.com

(I'm not responsible for any damage or injury that may result from this information)

If you do decide to try this, I would suggest doing this in a well ventilated area. Also, you could rig up a wire mesh stand to place your camera and lens over the generator.
04-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you sat on the furniture, you had to peel yourself off to stand up.
That is disgusting! I can tell you for sure that is not a building I could enter.

Of course, the real result, the man died of brain cancer or liver failure.
And that is so sad. Addiction sucks.

Best of luck with the camera, which I am sure will get better with one of the suggested treatments.
04-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathfinder Quote
if you like the smell of cedar, buy some cedar shaving and put them in a plastic box with the camera for a couple days. It should take care of it. It will smell like cedar then, not smoke.
Then it would smell more like your closet or barbecue..
They sell hickory and mesquite chips at walmart..LOL.
I think, they might also sell cedar there in the home section.
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #26
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I think, they might also sell cedar there in the home section.
They only use cedar planks for grilling salmon--they don't use it as a smoking wood. But I like the way you think.

Also, the cedar planks in home improvement stores is treated and will make you sick if you grill on it and eat.
04-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
My wife just recently spent a week at her fathers house and they smoke inside. Now her K100DS smells like smoke inside, as does her 18-55. I've left the camera sitting with all of it's doors open and the lens off for three days and it still stinks. Is there anything else I can do to clear the smell out? I could let the lens go, but to have the camera itself like this really breaks my heart. Heck, we got the thing less than a year ago - it's still under warranty!
It has me thinking that you should tell your wife the camera is no longer functional because everybody knows electronics always stops when the smoke leaks out

Seriously though, have you considered possibly using a small ozone generator to get rid of the smell.

You will need to be careful, though with exposure for 2 reasons, Ozone can lead to hydrogen peroxide build up in th elungs if inhaled, and second it can lead to rapid oxidation and embrittlement of plastics, so it should be done in an enclosed container for only a short duration, but ozone generators are one of the best ways to get rid of any smell.
04-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I think what is causing the root smell is the resin stuck to the camera / strap ...
I would recommend using iso alcohol on the outside ... For the inside all you can do is mask the oder or let it air our ... and ozone air purifier may help but I hate the smell of ozone just as much as tobacco ... and will take a day or so to disperse as well.

Well that's how I keep my cam from not smelling like a skunk at family gatherings and from staying sticky ... lol
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cannabiscurescancer Quote
I think what is causing the root smell is the resin stuck to the camera / strap ...
I would recommend using iso alcohol on the outside ... For the inside all you can do is mask the oder or let it air our ... and ozone air purifier may help but I hate the smell of ozone just as much as tobacco ... and will take a day or so to disperse as well.

Well that's how I keep my cam from not smelling like a skunk at family gatherings and from staying sticky ... lol
Except that the odor of ozone is very temporary because it breaks down the natural resins very quickly (hours) as opposed to the time it takes them to dissipate naturally (months)

You don't need to expose everything in the house, and or yuo can do it in a garage, as well as airing the hous out by opening windows after you are finished.
04-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #30
Inactive Account

I have used white rice in a ziploc bag for elctronics that got wet. would be worth a try its cheap give it a week. got a k10d from a member today it was smoke free but I didn't think to ask, was lucky