Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K100DS stinks like smoke

My wife just recently spent a week at her fathers house and they smoke inside. Now her K100DS smells like smoke inside, as does her 18-55. I've left the camera sitting with all of it's doors open and the lens off for three days and it still stinks. Is there anything else I can do to clear the smell out? I could let the lens go, but to have the camera itself like this really breaks my heart. Heck, we got the thing less than a year ago - it's still under warranty!

04-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
My wife just recently spent a week at her fathers house and they smoke inside. Now her K100DS smells like smoke inside, as does her 18-55. I've left the camera sitting with all of it's doors open and the lens off for three days and it still stinks. Is there anything else I can do to clear the smell out? I could let the lens go, but to have the camera itself like this really breaks my heart. Heck, we got the thing less than a year ago - it's still under warranty!
i would give it a rub down with lysol wipes(not the glass, just the body mostly) and keep letting it sit. I also think that the more you use it the more the smoke smell will go away.
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What a perfect time to upgrade to a KX =)

just kidding, i agree with Basso, wipe down the exterior as much as you can. The inside will just need to air out. Unfortunately, smoke tends to stick and linger on things so you may never truly get everything out.
04-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #4

Give it time, even cars w/ smoking drivers will clear up over a summer if you let down the window and keep it outside as much as you can. It might take a while, in the mean time I would give it a good wipe, then just be patient...

04-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GatorPentax Quote
What a perfect time to upgrade to a KX =)

just kidding, i agree with Basso, wipe down the exterior as much as you can. The inside will just need to air out. Unfortunately, smoke tends to stick and linger on things so you may never truly get everything out.
Ugh. That's what I was afraid of. I'm not sure if I should be mad at her, her family, or myself. I sent her with the camera knowing full well that her family smokes indoors, so I guess I have nobody to blame but myself.
04-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my K100D Super, but really though, you can get another camera, but the one you're with is always irreplaceable! You can all put it in a box with arm an hammer baking soda :-) that will remove all the smell away.
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You can put it in a box and use the car perfurme. Use glade that specifically for smokers. it will remove the smoke smell much faster.

04-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Are you sure it's not just the strap that smells?

And what was this guy smoking?
04-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

I just realized how bad this could be to you as a non-smoker. (Guilty here.)

It didn't dawn on me that you pick this thing up and put it right against your NOSE!
04-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Fabreeze is your friend. Spray some on a cloth after wiping the camera down, and wipe the camera down with it. I once bought a camera outfit (US Army Super Speed Graphic) and the case smelled like it had been sitting in a wet basement for 40 years (probably had been). The case being metal (Haliburton) with felt lined metal dividers, couldn't easily be washed. I tried everything, and it still had that musty swamp smell (far worse than any cigarette smell). The Fab took care of it nicely and 6 months later when I sold the outfit, still no hint of the swamp. Yes, I did disclose the full condition of the case. It had also been painted gold which covered the nice olive drab original finish. Goof off took care of that.

I'm not really sure though what you mean by "Inside" though..

Unless the inside of your inlaw's house looks like This, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's cleanable (the camera).

Last edited by JeffJS; 04-08-2010 at 07:57 PM.
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #11

Perfume only mask odor. Try put in a box with activated charcoal to absorb smoke and odor.
04-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You can try putting the camera in a box with baking soda as it absorbs bad odors.
You can try charcoal too (not the briquette kind).
Of course you have to place the baking soda in s different canister with the camera in the box..same as with the charcoal.
Hope this helps!
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh yeah..if you can find activated charcoal then that would be better.
Baking soda and charcoal has been used to eliminate the odor in refridgerators.
04-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Unless the inside of your inlaw's house looks like This, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Ugh!

Reminds me of a pub here in town. They started to clean the ceiling after the smoking ban came into force. But when they saw the patch of white they realised a full cleaning would totally change the decor.

So the smoke colour stayed. And now there's one little patch of clean white on the ceiling!
04-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #15

easy remmedy

if you like the smell of cedar, buy some cedar shaving and put them in a plastic box with the camera for a couple days. It should take care of it. It will smell like cedar then, not smoke.