Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is not recommended with a flash, either. My K-x turns SR off automatically when the flash pops up.

04-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paugie Quote
but what if one is using a monopod? does one still turn off IS?
It depends, I use a monopod a lot and I've found I get better results with SR turned off when the monpod is rock steady, and SR turned on when the monopod has some instability, ie at a weird angle, awkward position, unfirm ground etc. But I can definitively state that I get worse results with the SR turned on and the monopod firmly braced and it and me in upright shooting positions. It that situation I turn the SR off.

NaCl(but then I gotta remember to turn it on again)H2O
04-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
panning

have to agree about the panning. couldn't figure out why people were blurred until i realised about IS and panning. use a higher shutter speed if you are tracking a subject to freeze their motions.
04-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
and perhaps in macro settings.
I'm confused about this. Why when in macro settings?

Of the times that I need SR, this is probably one of the largest if I'm handholding the picture. Does the SR just not work well with macro?

04-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
I'm confused about this. Why when in macro settings?
Of the times that I need SR, this is probably one of the largest if I'm handholding the picture. Does the SR just not work well with macro?
In another thread here on IS/SR, Falk says that SR doesn't work (well?) within one focal length, which is where macro action occurs. And Falk seems to have studied the technology, so I'd take his word there. But just to be sure, I'll do some tests tomorrow. (After I try to repair a lens I 'fixed' too well today. Duh.)

I've seen and promulgated calculations that the effective focal length of an extended lens, a factor in figuring the magnification, is: EF = FL+EX or, add the focal length to the extension amount. So a 100mm lens with 50mm of extension for 1:1.5 magnification is effectively 150mm long. And a 50mm lens on 50mm tubes for 1:1 mag is effectively 100mm. Plug that into the SR robot and try some shots. Then turn off SR and shoot again. Then it's pixel-peeping time.
09-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #21
Inactive Account

IS doesn't work at low shutter speeds anyway. IS is designed for long tele lenses where you use about 1/200 and lower. Then IS makes some difference. If you have 500mm lense where you suppose to have shutter speed 1/500 to take shots from the hands and you are at 1/400. Then IS will help you. If you take pictures at 1/50 and so on. You won't see any difference with IS on or off. Exactly as Pentax manual states.

IS on tripod may be used if you can switch IS to horizontal/vertical IS only. I assume that not many cameras have this function. Perhaps some pro sport lenses. Tripod is designed to reduce shaking so there is no need of IS.
09-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
IS doesn't work at low shutter speeds anyway.

. If you take pictures at 1/50 and so on. You won't see any difference with IS on or off. Exactly as Pentax manual states.
Part 1 - not in my experience.

Part 2 - I think you misinterpreted the manual. Used at 1/4 or 1/8 clearly works. For something like 1 sec, yes it will not help.

09-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
A good example of when not to use SR on a tripod is use the movie mode with it on and off and compare the difference.
Maybe why i completely naffed Videoing the F-111 practice run in Brisbane last friday..daymn you SR!...thanks..D'oh!
09-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The standard answer is when on a tripod, when panning, and perhaps in macro settings. Although it doesn't *always* produce worse results even in those cases.
QuoteOriginally posted by lisa.ireland Quote
have to agree about the panning. couldn't figure out why people were blurred until i realised about IS and panning. use a higher shutter speed if you are tracking a subject to freeze their motions.
Camera probably only detects accelaration, so I am not sure if you want to disable it during panning with constant speed....
09-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #25
Banned

I don't use it with fast shutterspeeds. Also I don't think it's very useful when in shooting in a burst at 5.2 fps since the SR-system can't do it's work in the little time it gets between shots.
09-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sniper29a Quote
IS doesn't work at low shutter speeds anyway. IS is designed for long tele lenses where you use about 1/200 and lower. Then IS makes some difference. If you have 500mm lense where you suppose to have shutter speed 1/500 to take shots from the hands and you are at 1/400. Then IS will help you. If you take pictures at 1/50 and so on. You won't see any difference with IS on or off. Exactly as Pentax manual states.
Hm. Not sure about that - this was 1/50, Sigma 150-500mm @500mm, handheld with SR. Of the 11 I took 9 were unuseable (blurry). Now this isn't the sharpest -- but for 1/50, it's also not too shabby. Not sure if I could have done this without SR.

09-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sniper29a Quote

IS on tripod may be used if you can switch IS to horizontal/vertical IS only. I assume that not many cameras have this function. Perhaps some pro sport lenses. Tripod is designed to reduce shaking so there is no need of IS.

I think not. My technique is not good enough to give me the relatively sharp images I get at 1/8" and 18-55mm if IS were not helping.
09-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
When I shoot using a tripod, I usually shoot by the 2 sec self-timer as I tend not to have the remote with me. This is very handy, as it also automatically disables SR too. (Unfortunately, I mostly forget the self-timer on and this causes trouble with the next hand-held picture...)
+1