Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[K7]When absolutly NOT to use Image Stabilization?

Currently I have IS on all the time, but I can imagine that there are situations that this Image Stabilization results in even Bad/worse pictures.
Can You Give some guidelines when (absolutely) not to use IS

04-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The standard answer is when on a tripod, when panning, and perhaps in macro settings. Although it doesn't *always* produce worse results even in those cases.
04-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Marc pretty much summed it up, in the instruction book pentax does say to turn off shake reduction while using the camera on a tripod. Other then that is always on for me.

Cory
04-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
emr

When I shoot using a tripod, I usually shoot by the 2 sec self-timer as I tend not to have the remote with me. This is very handy, as it also automatically disables SR too. (Unfortunately, I mostly forget the self-timer on and this causes trouble with the next hand-held picture...)

04-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The other time not to use it is if you have an IS lens and have the lens's IS turned on.
The two don't play well together.
04-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #6

can everyone me explain why on tripod can I have worse pictures with IS on? Because when I use a tripod, it is still and I use the automatic shutter for 12 seconds, therefore I don't understand why can I take bad pics.
04-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexulo Quote
can everyone me explain why on tripod can I have worse pictures with IS on? Because when I use a tripod, it is still and I use the automatic shutter for 12 seconds, therefore I don't understand why can I take bad pics.
I think (this is theory) that it would be analogous to the auto focus constantly hunting when trying to focus on a blank sheet of paper. The SR may be hunting for movement that isn't there so the sensor is in motion and the camera is still.

04-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

My guess is that SR automatically uses a minimal standard for handheld shake, whether your arms are as strong as stone, have perfect 100% technique, and don't need it at all.

Kind of like using diaptor correction when your eyes are better than 20/20.

But remember, I said that's just a guess.
04-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It's a better idea to not use it while the camera is on a tripod as you don't have anything that you really need to correct for (unless it's really windy or something). Otherwise I don't really see a reason why not to use it, and I don't think it's really ever bad to have it on for your camera, but it might make your photos look a little worse sometimes.
04-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's a good idea to turn it off because when the camera is on tripod there is no movement at all. So with the sensor free floating inside the camera the shake reduction actually introduces movement into the image. So basically, the system that is supposed to reduce movement actually induces it and know one wants that.
04-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A good example of when not to use SR on a tripod is use the movie mode with it on and off and compare the difference.
04-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #12

tripod I understand...

but what if one is using a monopod? does one still turn off IS?
04-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #13

I use SR when using a monopod and it either produces no difference or helps a bit.
It depends on me really.
On a tripod turn it off, unless you actuate the shutter before SR is put into action, it will introduced artificial blur.

I figure its signal noise that makes the sensor think that there is some movement, control protocols are not optimal for that situation, so they actually produce a response instead of doing nothing.
04-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Can't explain why it gets worse when on a tripod. I am not sure the camera knows why.
Some photos are just fine (regardless of settings, shutter speed, ISO, aperture, IS definitely activated). Other times the image looks like someone stood there and shook the camera. (similar settings other than IS off).

I've tried to create a bad photo and was unable to get IS on a tripod to behave poorly.
Then out of the blue a photo looks horrible. I do nothing other than turn off IS and the photo is great. Turn it back on and its crap. Turn it off again to make sure, and yep the image is great.

So it can definitely make a difference, but no idea exactly what makes the issue visible.
I think the general consensus is to turn IS off when on a stable surface. But it may not always give poor results. Just better safe than sorry.
04-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #15
Inactive Account

i turn off SR when shooting at high shutter speeds like outdoor sports.
waiting for the waving hand sometimes makes you miss a shot. not waiting for the hand might cause your pictures to blur, so SR off it stays.