Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

pentax K-7 - annoying e-dials

I have searched the forums for anything related to this and found nothing which gives me the impression that it's just my camera that seems to be suffering from this particularly annoying problem.

When I go to change the Iso on the K-7 and turn the rear dial it sometimes makes very sudden jumps, I.e: from iso 125 to 800 in one turn. It is extremely frustrating, especially when I'm doing landscape or wildlife photography and control over the cameras ISO is critical in the changing light. I have missed shots because of this issue. Additionally, I have my rear e-dial programmed to select apeture as well and it does the same thing, the K-7 goes from f/6.3 to f/18 in three clicks. It is the most frustrating thing. (thank god I use FA lenses which have apeture rings, but the jumps in the cameras ISO cannot be so easily bypassed)

I have reset the camera (pulled out the battery and put it back in again) which resets the cameras Manual exposure to 1/125th f/8 Iso 100 but it doesn't take long to resume this jumpy behaviour.

If there is a solution, I would give my left kidney for it.

04-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It looks like your K-7 has a hot wire somewhere, or something that keeps tripping the dial. The same thing happened with one of my DSLRs (I'm not sure even what brand it was though) and I would change the ISO one stop and it would go 4, same with shutter speed. I don't know if there's any easy way to fix it unless you want to send it to Pentax or a repair shop to see if they know what to do about this.
04-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had a similar thing happen to one of my canon DSLR cameras except it was the opposite, the dial would only work intermittently. And that annoyed the hell out of me too.
04-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Also having noticed this we have found it very annoying.

04-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely not a "feature"
Still under warranty? Take it back.
04-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Definitely not the way my K7 works. I would go ahead and get it fixed under warranty.
04-09-2010, 04:26 AM   #7

Can it be 'dirty' contacts? I know my friend's K7 also had similar issue.
The dial always "turn" left only, eventhough he turn right.

Send it back to CRK for warranty, and they cleaned the contact. All solved.
04-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

check your battery

I found some erratic behavior with the e-dial when viewing photos and zooming, a single turn would zoom to maximum.

I was deliberately pushing my battery until the camera shut down, and I noticed this.

a new (i.e. fully charged) battery fixed it all.

04-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I haven't experienced this problem, although to try and circumvent it, you could set the iso to 1/3 stops.

I'd take my camera in for repair though.
04-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Some time ago there was a lot of discussion about misbehaving e-dial on *ist models. I had the same problem on a DS and (taking batteries out first) sprayed a bit of contact cleaner on the dial. ( didn't reinsert batteries until it had time to evaporate completely) It worked well for 12 months but is a bit suspect now.
04-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yuuuup... definitely have that dial looked at by the camera doctor... mine's been rock solid so far, with no unanticipated setting changes (knock wood...)
04-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Had exactly the same experience w/ my K7 after I had it for about 1 month, but mine was the front dial that caused problem. Sent to our service center for a repair, our service guy opened the camera, cleaned the dial, unsoldered the three wires that connect to the dial, then resoldered them back. So far it's been working great after about 18k shots in 9 months
04-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I hadn't heard of the problem in K models, only in DS and DL's. The weather sealing in the K7 should help keep the contacts clean, you must have just got a bad one. Aren't warranties good!
04-14-2010, 04:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
sent the damn thing off for a CLA and a close inspection of the rear e-dial. Fortunatley I have a second K-7 and a spare K10 to shoot with

the owner of the store that I got mine from said it has been a problem that has popped up from time to time.
04-14-2010, 06:08 AM   #15

I had similar problems with my K10D's battery grip before the front dial died copletely. That was caused by three years of heavy use and wear though.

I would like to hear the service prize if you don't get it repaired under warranty.