Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

flash units

just purchased the k-x camera, will all my old flashes work with this camera, model af500ftz and model af330ftz, great flashes, used with the pz1p film cameras. thanks in advance.

04-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome here.
Your flashes will work, but unfortunately not in TTL mode.
A and M modes should be fine though, and it may need some mastery on your part to make them work well for you.
04-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1 Quote
just purchased the k-x camera, will all my old flashes work with this camera, model af500ftz and model af330ftz, great flashes, used with the pz1p film cameras. thanks in advance.
As Ash said they will work fine, but either in A or M mode. I just bought a af280t for my K100D Super as I like the functionality without the extra costs :-P. Also it will work fine with my Pentax Super Program too!
04-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hello and welcome here.
Your flashes will work, but unfortunately not in TTL mode.
A and M modes should be fine though, and it may need some mastery on your part to make them work well for you.
QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
As Ash said they will work fine, but either in A or M mode. I just bought a af280t for my K100D Super as I like the functionality without the extra costs :-P. Also it will work fine with my Pentax Super Program too!
Hi pz1,

I'm afraid the above posts are only partially correct. I have a 500 FTZ, which does not have an A mode, and from B Dimitrov's site, the 330 does not have this mode either.

Auto Focus Pentax Flashes

Your flash guns will work, but in M mode only. TTL requires a separate dedicated sensor in the camera which the Kx does not have. Only the *ist D, DS, and DS2 have had them in the DSLR series. BTW, manual flash is not that big a deal with digital, it's pretty easy to dial it in with a few test shots. With film, unless you had a darkroom in your pocket, this was not practical.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 04-09-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added some text