Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whats the Latest on IR conversions?

Hi guys,

I have an extra K100D super body that I barely use and I am considering converting it to IR.

Any updates on whos doing the conversions and what the cost would be?

TIA!

04-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Heh, I'm waiting for my K100DS to do the same thing. Should be here by Monday.
04-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are you doing it yourself? Are you sending it to someone?

How are you doing the conversion?
04-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i'm going to attempt to do it myself. i have the basics of what needs to be done. i'm also waiting for my r72 filter that i'll need to cut.

there's a step by step guide to taking apart an *ist D somewhere, and i imagine that it's essentially the same.

of course, i'm someone who's a bit more technically minded, so i'm not terribly nervous about doing this. but it'll definitely take a lot of caution.

04-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How much is the R72? Is it the right thickness?

I had found a thread about someone doing the conversion himself, but all pictures were lost (removed from server) so not that helpful.

Keep me posted on your conversion, depending on how it goes, I could attempt it myself..

Thanks

BB
04-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about the thickness issue. I'm hoping that they're similar and that any discrepancy can be fixed with af debug mode.

I'll try to take photos while i do it. won't be for at least another week though.
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Any updates on whos doing the conversions and what the cost would be?
I had my K10D converted by Clarence Spencer (Website). The cost is about $300, +/- a few depending on the filter and what else you have it done at the same time.

I use standard filter (R72 - 720nm). I haven't had a chance to use the IR K10D much. Here are some simple test photos:

04-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I had my K10D converted by Clarence Spencer (Website). The cost is about $300, +/- a few depending on the filter and what else you have it done at the same time.
$300 is a bit more than the cost of the K100D.. it makes me wonder if I could manage the conversion myself..
04-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Actually BBear, the K100d is already pretty sensitive to ir as it is even with the hot filter. if you want to try it out without committing to a full conversion, you can get an r72 filter off of ebay, put it on a lens, and just shoot. You're gonna need a really long exposure time though because of the hot filter.

the cost of diy conversion is about $40-$60 for the filter. oh and the risk is pretty high if you're not good with opening stuff up like that, so you need to be willing to scrap the camera if anything major goes wrong.
04-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
Actually BBear, the K100d is already pretty sensitive to ir as it is even with the hot filter. if you want to try it out without committing to a full conversion, you can get an r72 filter off of ebay, put it on a lens, and just shoot. You're gonna need a really long exposure time though because of the hot filter.

the cost of diy conversion is about $40-$60 for the filter. oh and the risk is pretty high if you're not good with opening stuff up like that, so you need to be willing to scrap the camera if anything major goes wrong.
I do prefer a permanent conversion, as this camera used to be my backup body.

Just keep us posted on your conversion, maybe some tutorial pictures? Thats be great!

Thanks mate,

BB
04-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey SOldbear, when you did the K10D conversion, did you get their "cooling" option? I'm curious what it is. I'm guessing that it's a peltier device, or some other method of getting cooling into the camera. A long time ago, I saw a physical hack with a point and shoot camera that put small fans onto the body. Also I've seen people use ice packs secured to the camera (I've done this, too).
04-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Looking forward to see your steps.
04-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I received my K100DS in the mail a few days ago. The R72 came yesterday. Not sure when I'll have time to attempt it. As far as I figure the steps I'll need to take are as follows:

1. Get the camera open and the sensor/filter out. To help this, I just stumbled on this link in another thread: Downloads
2. Remove the R72 filter from the filter ring and cut it to size. This is the part that makes me the most nervous. If I botch the cutting, then I'll have to wait for another one and it'll be about $50 down the drain. I bought the biggest one I could afford, a 62mm, so I'm thinking if I'm careful, I could probably cut up to 3 filters from it. (Though to be honest, this is the only conversion I'm forseeing.)
3. Install the new filter, put it back together.
4. Adjust the AF in debug mode. As far as I can tell from the research, you cannot access the debug menu using the camera buttons like you can on the K100D. However, there are reports that the debug menu can be accessed through the 'debug' program that works on the K10D 1.3 firmware. Problem with that is that I won't be able to get out of the debug mode again. The solution to this problem is aparently the ability to get out of debug mode by using the buttons on the camera in the same fashion as getting into the debug menu on the K100D.

I'll let you know how it goes. I might have time later today to get the project started.
04-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
As far as I figure the steps I'll need to take are as follows:

1. Get the camera open and the sensor/filter out...
2. Remove the R72 filter from the filter ring and cut it to size. This is the part that makes me the most nervous. If I botch the cutting, then I'll have to wait for another one and it'll be about $50 down the drain. I bought the biggest one I could afford, a 62mm, so I'm thinking if I'm careful, I could probably cut up to 3 filters from it. (Though to be honest, this is the only conversion I'm forseeing.)
3. Install the new filter, put it back together...
A strong suggestion: DON'T CUT UP THE R72 FILTER!! Remove the hot.filter, yes. Replace it with optical glass, exactly the same size and THICKNESS as the hot.filter. This is very important. The thickness of the glass, whether filter or clear, is CRITICAL to maintaining focus capability. At this point you have no way of knowing whether the R72 is the same thickness as the hot.filter.

Also, inserting a cut-down piece of the R72 means you can never again use the camera for anything BUT 720nm IR work. With a clear piece of optical glass in there, you still have a general-purpose camera. You can put the R72 or any other IR or other filter in front of the lens. You can also get an IR-blocking filter, the same type as the hot.filter you've removed, and use the camera for general visible-light photography.

There's an old carpenter's saying: measure twice, cut once. Keep that in mind before you go cutting up your camera. Good luck.
04-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
There's an old carpenter's saying: measure twice, cut once.
I thought it was "measure with a micrometer, mark with a piece of chalk, and cut with an ax."

No wonder none of the things I made looks like furniture.