Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Will I blow my camera up ?

If I make a small clamp out of metal, probably aluminium, that fits into the K10 hotshoe to secure a small spirit level that I can use when it's on a tripod?

I'm sure that I can make it so it doesn't touch the camera hotshoe contacts, I'm an engineer with access to a machine shop.
But in the event of a short across the contacts when the shutter is pressed, would there be any problems?

04-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I suppose as long as the contacts aren't touched then there shouldn't be a problem, but your camera won't blow up either way, the hotshoe itself might short out along with the rest of your camera though.
04-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I suppose as long as the contacts aren't touched then there shouldn't be a problem, but your camera won't blow up either way, the hotshoe itself might short out along with the rest of your camera though.
Shorting the contacts isn't going to hurt anything anyway.
04-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't be cheap. Just spend the $5 and don't risk your camera. DealExtreme: $4.69 Resin Hot Shoe Bubble Spirit Level for DSLR/SLR Cameras.

04-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
If I make a small clamp out of metal, probably aluminium, that fits into the K10 hotshoe to secure a small spirit level that I can use when it's on a tripod?

I'm sure that I can make it so it doesn't touch the camera hotshoe contacts, I'm an engineer with access to a machine shop.
But in the event of a short across the contacts when the shutter is pressed, would there be any problems?
You can get a plastic one for a couple bucks.

Amazon.com: Opteka Hot Shoe Two Axis Double Bubble Spirit Level for Digital and Film Cameras: Electronics
04-10-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Spirit level for a camera? As long as it lines up with the other bricks in the wall it should be OK!
Seriously - won't a tripod with a spirit level do the job?
04-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The charge affecting the hotshot comes from the source (capacitors) within the external flash. The camera only closes the control circuit telling the flash to fire. The concerns people have with shorting the camera is that older flash units work on higher voltages.

The trigger was directly wired into the capacitor's circuit rather than having a low voltage control circuit operated in parallel.

There won't be an issue (I too am an engineer, though my solutions involve more compaction and often yards of concrete.)
04-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

A 2 or 3 axis level for the hot shoe is much better (my opinion) when compared with a spirit level. The spirit level is useless when the camera is in the portrait orientation. Also, you really can't beat the price....

hotshoe level - Google Product Search

04-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, the last time I saw a hotshoe level it was stupid money so I hadn't actually looked at them recently, and I've got a small two axis level so I thought I'd make it fit.
But at the prices they are now, it's no contest, I'll go and buy one. I'll admit to being cheap, but I do try and maintain some standards.

And I've already got 4 tripods, and not one has a level.
04-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Bummer for the tripods as most tripods now come standard with even a bubble level.
04-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think I've got a tripod that's less than 20 years old!