Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My SD card cannot keep up to speed for Pentax K-X HI Continuous shooting

I have got a class 4 4gb but the Hi speed continuous shooting is lagging. i do not experience this for HD video recording.

I can only shoot 2 to 3 jpeg and then it stops and the red light appear indicating it is writing jpeg into the memory card.

what is the cheapest possible sd card class that can handle the k-x hi continous shooting mode in RAW, JPEG and RAW+ JPEG?

04-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

First, make sure you have the lens correction functions turned off, as that slows things down.
I've always used the fastest Sandisk cards that I can buy. This doesn't translate to cheapest, but I find them reliable, which means more to me than a few dollars.
04-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by learnphotography Quote
I have got a class 4 4gb but the Hi speed continuous shooting is lagging. i do not experience this for HD video recording.

I can only shoot 2 to 3 jpeg and then it stops and the red light appear indicating it is writing jpeg into the memory card.

what is the cheapest possible sd card class that can handle the k-x hi continous shooting mode in RAW, JPEG and RAW+ JPEG?
Wheatfield is correct: do switch off ALL post-processing including lens distortion correction.

This might not be all. The K-x has a small buffer and it will become full very quickly, unless you have fast card and set the file sizes at 6 Mp or below. As soon as the camera buffer memory is full (or near full), the Hi continuous shooting speed will slow down.

There were several relevant threads in Pentaxforums.com that you should read including:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/95892-k-x-conti...oting-raw.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93186-k7-high-spee...-shooting.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90316-k-7-movie-st...0-seconds.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/87505-k-x-continuo...g-problem.html

I think that a class 4 card is not fast enough is your files are more than 2 Mp. If you intend to do a lot of Hi continuous shooting a class 10 card of good quality is necessary (or faster).

Hope that the comments will help.
04-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a slightly dumb question, but sometimes the slightly dumb questions are the most difficult to find.

Is your camera set on continuous shooting or single shot?

04-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I have a class 4 sandisk 4Gb card and it will let me shoot contiuously for 22-24 frames at maximum quality and 12 megapixel, all post processing turned off.
04-10-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Problem solved! i had distortion correction and Lat-chormatic-ab adj On. But those are some nice features. Does a fast card allow those two features to be on but not lag?
04-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Problem solved! i had distortion correction and Lat-chormatic-ab adj On. But those are some nice features. Does a fast card allow those two features to be on but not lag?
No.

the card is not the answer here. if it can make a difference you probably won't be able to notice.
04-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pablom is right: the card will not make a difference. The lens distortion correction is an on-board processing feature, requiring CPU (processing time) from the camera itself, not the card. This is however not a problem as a nice small software PTLens (relatively cheap) can do the lens distortion corrections in batch for you later.

I have done a fair amount of testing with Hi continuous shooting with my K-7. I strongly recommend to switch off ALL processing for longer, Hi continuous shooting.

For example, I left the option "High ISO noise correction" ON once and I was shooting in the shade. The correction kicked in and the camera showed down after 10 s of shots (with the settings that I had then), much earlier than I expected!