Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I've got a K100Ds and when I pair it up with the Industar 50-2, it looks a lot like a pancake combo.
Fairly cheap too than the "limiteds"

Attached Images

04-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I've got a K100Ds and when I pair it up with the Industar 50-2, it looks a lot like a pancake combo.
Sorry for my ignorance but what the heck is that?! Is it an M42 mount?
04-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Yes, it is a screw mount (M-42) russian lens.
Costs about $20. It can focus to infinity if you use the Pentax type M42 adapter.
If you don't need to focus to infinity, you can use this flange adapter that I have in the photos..it won't let you focus to infinity though but would be good for a couple of feet.
You can read more of this on the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31430-soviet-lenses-club.html or try and search here or google.
The lens is actually for rangefinder cameras before that's why the lens is really bobbed or short.
04-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Here's a review of it on our lens database although only one review, it is fairly accurate: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - 50mm F3.5

04-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. That is terribly funky!
04-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Fairly cheap too than the "limiteds"
Man, that's the strangest looking lens I've ever seen.

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I reread this part and saw that the FA35 probably won't be good after all. If you like that focal range, the DA15 f/4 might be another lens that would work for you.
Perhaps I've been confusing. I mean I'm looking for a lens with an equivalent FOV of around 50mm. That's around 33mm on the lens.
04-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, I got myself a 3rd party 45mm manual focus pancake just to try the form factor, and I simply love it... About the same size as the DA40, and it's really a breeze shotting with such a little thing, on both the K7 and the Kx! For about 57, I don't regret it, even if I already have a 35/2, the FA50, and a Porst 55/1.2...

In the end, it's all down on what you'll shoot with it...
What particular lens did you buy? Just curious.....
04-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just want to check if the lack of AF points in optical viewfinder issue has been solved by a firmware update.

It's not a deal breaker for me but just wanted to check.

04-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shahmatt Quote
I just want to check if the lack of AF points in optical viewfinder issue has been solved by a firmware update.
It's not a firmware issue. The overlay screen that would put the red squares in the viewfinder is physically not part of the camera.

(I believe! Unless it is there but not active...that would be odd.)
04-11-2010, 04:22 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It's not a firmware issue. The overlay screen that would put the red squares in the viewfinder is physically not part of the camera.

(I believe! Unless it is there but not active...that would be odd.)
Oh I see... that's a bit of a pity..
04-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the DA 21 as an all rounded lens. I tried it at a shop and it seemed perfect to me for that very purpose. However, that is just me, you might be totally different.
04-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

The FA28 f/2.8 is also reportedly pretty solid. It's small and in the focal length department you're looking for. Unfortunately I see that lens available used even less than the FA35.
I absolutely couldn't stand the 28/2.8. Maybe because I used it off the back of my 31, but it was just nasty to me. Ew.

I took a few good shots with it, but it just felt wrong.

Had to vent. There are some things you love, and some things you don't. In Pentax land, the 28/2.8 comes under "don't" to me.
04-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I absolutely couldn't stand the 28/2.8. Maybe because I used it off the back of my 31, but it was just nasty to me. Ew.

I took a few good shots with it, but it just felt wrong.

Had to vent. There are some things you love, and some things you don't. In Pentax land, the 28/2.8 comes under "don't" to me.
Lol, thanks for the report. I'll take care recommending that one in the future
04-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shahmatt Quote

It's not a deal breaker for me but just wanted to check.
I thought the lack of the focus dots would bother me a lot more than it does. It's a little more time consuming to change your focus point than on the K-7 or the K20D, but that's the biggest downside to me. In comparison to say the K100D Super that has the focus confirm dots but doesn't allow you to change your focus point, I prefer the K-x's setup.

It helps that the K-x's focus seems to be pretty quick and accurate in the limited testing I've done with it so far. I suggest picking a focus point and then focusing based on that point for best accuracy.

QuoteQuote:
Perhaps I've been confusing. I mean I'm looking for a lens with an equivalent FOV of around 50mm. That's around 33mm on the lens.
That's what I thought, but I didn't know if you were coming from film focal lengths or not so I wanted to be sure. The FA35 should work great for you then.
04-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #30
Veteran Member

You might also want to try the Vivitar 28mm "A" lens or the Vivitar 24mm "A" lens.
It is MF but a lot more affordable than the DA limiteds.