Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shahmatt Quote
I'm looking for a lens with an equivalent FOV of around 50mm. That's around 33mm on the lens.
The perfect normal on film is 43mm, not 50mm, though only Pentax was smart enough to think outside the box and actually make one. Some 50s might be more or less close since the focal length is only ever approximate. But I think instead that most vary above 50mm towards 55mm and not the other way.

The FOV equivalent in APS-C is 28mm. Which, strangely enough, was a common film focal length. So there are tons of lenses out there that act as a perfect normal for you, in terms of FOV.

If instead you really do want 33mm, the FA31 is really a 32mm, which is the closest you will find.

04-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Sorry to be blunt, that the combo that the photos are of at the top of this page is the ugliest thing that I have ever seen. I don't think I would walk around with my camera looking like that, but then again I'm pretty superficial when it comes to my cameras too.
04-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
You might also want to try the Vivitar 28mm "A" lens or the Vivitar 24mm "A" lens. It is MF but a lot more affordable than the DA limiteds.
Yes, and many of us like them much more than the Pentax 28mm lenses. I have not tried the FA that is slammed above, but have used the A 28 and concluded it was the weakest Pentax lens I had ever tried. Just... blah.

For more info read Vivitar 28mm As FA31mm Replacement?

And reference the Vivitar Bestiary to figure out which lens is which.