Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #1

K7 Interval time lapse issue...

Ok here is the deal.. I have been having problems with making time lapse videos.. Not the whole 99 pics thing.. Which does suck, anyways:

When taking pictures of the sun setting randomly some pictures come out over exposed. I am using a old manual lens in M mode, and shutter was kinda long because I was using a ND filter.. but like every 20 frames there will be one over exposed or three its real random.. Is it the battery making the shutter to randomly stay open longer then normal? I've checked to make sure auto "everything" is off.. Anyways please help if anyone out there has had this problem. I attached a photo of an example of whats happening.

Attached Images

Last edited by leadguitarest; 04-10-2010 at 09:02 AM.
04-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is odd, it's almost as if the shutter is putting an extra short frame in there (hence the overexposure) or if it's glitching in a way that duplicates half of the exposure of one of them (I hope you get what I mean there). Have you tried doing this with a DA or FA lens that has AF and just see if that solves it? There might be some problem with the K-7 that hasn't been discovered yet (well until now) that might have to be fixed in a firmware update because of the M lens usability (or I suppose the lack of usability for M lenses) on it.
04-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

what firmware do you have now on your K7?

I'm shooting about 30-40% with manual lenses and never had that problem.
I had a problem with my live view before (I turned on liveview, took a picture and then
had the message "battery depleted", now it seems to be ok..).

Do you have the problem with all of your M lenses? Or a lens in particular?
Does the M lens has an A-setting for aperture? I didn't check the EXIF, but aperture
stays the same for all pictures? Maybe at that particular shot, aperture goes wide open?
(but as I said, I didn't check EXIF ^^)
04-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
I have the newest 1.03 I've never had the problem as well. Well not until ive been stopping it down to f22 or 16 because I want to take longer exposures to streak cars driving people running ext.. its done it on my m 50mm and my quantaray 28-80mm zoom it has an A in the f stop. Here are two stills from ap. and the meta data are the same.. These pics were taken 4 sec from each other and there were no clouds in the sky or nothing to make it brighter like this.. maybe the shutter timing is off? maybe it just stayed open a millisecond more. i have no idea.. Some one should take there K7 out and set it to the highest f stop like 16 or 22 and take some pictures on interval shooting and see if it randomly goes bright or dark.. I was at a 1/5 shutter...

Attached Images

Last edited by leadguitarest; 04-10-2010 at 09:11 AM.
04-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ok, so here is the deal, I ran a few tests and it only did this on my 28mm lens.. This is the 28mm I have

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/97082-new-pentax.html

What would cause this to happen? the lens is a manual i think..
04-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I wonder if your aperture blades are slow to close. Camera might be taking the shot before they have closed fully down to f16/22. I have a 300mm Vivitar (Nikon mount) that went like that. I could only use it with the self timer (which caused the camera to stop the lens down) as it had enough time to actually close.
04-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thats exactly what it was bro... thanks!

04-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hm, yeah... oil or another contaminant on the aperture blades might be the culprit here...

Try to replicate the problem with another lens that's known to be clean/without issues.
04-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bet oil on the blades is the cause here, since it does not happen in a certain order this has to be the cause. Have you looked at the aperture blades yet on this lens?
04-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
no.. How would I remove it from the blades?
04-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
If sticky/oily aperture blades are the culprit here, then having the lens professionally cleaned is going to be your best bet. Have a look around on google, or on this forum, for examples of oil on the aperture blades - it's sometimes quite easy to see if you know what you're looking for.

**edit** Here's a link to a thread with a picture of oily aperture blades; the oily bit is (predictably enough) the shiny patch adjacent to where the blades overlap. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/other-pentax-related-topics/85975-oh-adorama.html

Last edited by Timichango; 04-13-2010 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added link
04-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks, Yeah I might just buy a new one.. because it was like a 10 dollar lens..