Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
An article from photo.net (no love 4 Pentax)

Here is how I replied to Mr. Greenspun

Mr. Greenspun,

In regards to your article pasted below:

Digital Photography Basics: learn how to build a digital SLR system - photo.net

You say, and I quote:

"Unless you have an enormous investment in lenses for one of these brands the only one of these worth considering for purchase is Olympus, due to its innovative Four-Thirds system, discussed below."

I was hoping for a truly objective article; one that would go across the spectrum of DSLR systems.

If I could only give you a Pentax K-7 or even a K-20D for a month or so. I am sure you would end up printing a retraction.

I started my DSLR system about a year ago, and with the advice of a seasoned film pro who had also switched to digital. He said that of all the companies out their, he believed that Pentax was on the best path. The bodies are being produced with the consumer in mind, all lenses ever made are easily fitted on the K-Mount system, and both the lens and body build quality are better than the competittion.

I realize that in the end it is just preference, but when you say stuff like what I have in quotes above, you are misleading anyone who trusts you along with the general population. I have become quite adept with my K20D and will probably upgrade when Pentax comes out with it's next Samsung sensor. The current 14.6 mp sensor is amazing in itself. Please stop, open your mind and stop talking as if Canon and Nikon are the only choices. If people thought like you we would only eat apples and oranges. Ever try a passion fruit?

04-10-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Conscious dismissal of Pentax IMO.
It's not that obscure a brand to be overlooked.
The Pentax K-7 with DA* and FA/DA limited series lenses is close to the best anyone can get for value for money as well as top quality in every aspect.
04-10-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Greenspun sold photo.net a couple years ago, thats an old article

Greenspun sold off photo.net a couple years ago, thats an old article

Don't expect a reply

QuoteOriginally posted by ghillindy1 Quote

Mr. Greenspun,

You say, and I quote:

"Unless you have an enormous investment in lenses for one of these brands the only one of these worth considering for purchase is Olympus, due to its innovative Four-Thirds system, discussed below."

I was hoping for a truly objective article; one that would go across the spectrum of DSLR systems.

If I could only give you a Pentax K-7 or even a K-20D for a month or so. I am sure you would end up printing a retraction.

I started my DSLR system about a year ago, and with the advice of a seasoned film pro who had also switched to digital. He said that of all the companies out their, he believed that Pentax was on the best path. The bodies are being produced with the consumer in mind, all lenses ever made are easily fitted on the K-Mount system, and both the lens and body build quality are better than the competittion.

I realize that in the end it is just preference, but when you say stuff like what I have in quotes above, you are misleading anyone who trusts you along with the general population. I have become quite adept with my K20D and will probably upgrade when Pentax comes out with it's next Samsung sensor. The current 14.6 mp sensor is amazing in itself. Please stop, open your mind and stop talking as if Canon and Nikon are the only choices. If people thought like you we would only eat apples and oranges. Ever try a passion fruit?
04-10-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

my opinion

Mr. Greenspun,

You say, and I quote:

As a former Olympus user, with some good lenses, I can only say that Im verry happy to have A pentax K7 now,
-Lowlight is better than Olympus
-Build Quality in relation to body size is far better
-Pentax is from technology point of view ahead of olympus.
-Lenses of Olympus are good but Pentax Has some Great lenses to.
What I was looking for was a relatively small well build wheaterproof camera with a lot of possibilities and a strong backgroud.
The first camera I owned was a Pentax ME and it always worked. After my olympus time C40-C8080wz-E500- Im Happy to be back in Pentax camp

The article should have been more generic and not specificaly towards some brands.

04-10-2010, 04:40 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Lol,

I quitted reading half way... Does that person even know there are more than 1.000.000 lenses that can fit on a pentax body?? I think he's only aware of Canon and Nikon and saw a publicity of the Olympus 4/3

ghillindy1, you are right to put his nose in his bul***. I don't care about articles who
praise Canon and Nikon, they make good systems. But this one's really misleading as you said, and he's almost telling lies about the choice of lenses..

Sad thing to see such articles
04-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah, it says he revised it in 2008. My objective, no pun intened, is to have him revise it again. I know he won't but it should get him thinking.

Greg
04-10-2010, 04:57 AM   #7

I hope you succeeded... It's hard to get some people think nowadays
04-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Did you realize theres 50 Million Canon Eos lenses made ?

Did you realize theres 50 Million Canon Eos lenses made that can fit an eos body?

All are autofocus, most made for full frame digital sensors.

Canon announces 50 millionth EF lens: Digital Photography Review

QuoteOriginally posted by ezechiel Quote
Lol,

I quitted reading half way... Does that person even know there are more than 1.000.000 lenses that can fit on a pentax body?? I think he's only aware of Canon and Nikon and saw a publicity of the Olympus 4/3

ghillindy1, you are right to put his nose in his bul***. I don't care about articles who
praise Canon and Nikon, they make good systems. But this one's really misleading as you said, and he's almost telling lies about the choice of lenses..

Sad thing to see such articles

04-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Dude, Greenspun sold Photo.net. He's off spending his money elsewheres

Dude, Greenspun sold Photo.net.
He's off spending his money elsewheres.
Most likely sailing off France thesedays. He loves sailing.
Photo.net retained his articles when the new owners bought him out.

Yeah, it says he revised it in 2008. My objective, no pun intened, is to have him revise it again. I know he won't but it should get him thinking.

Greg
04-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Did you realize theres 50 Million Canon Eos lenses made that can fit an eos body?

i think brand bashing can only go so far. each brand employ honest, smart, working people who continue to innovate. There's no point to diss one or the other for whatever reasons. i'm open to all brands, whoever has the best deal out there gets my money.
04-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
i think brand bashing can only go so far. each brand employ honest, smart, working people who continue to innovate. There's no point to diss one or the other for whatever reasons. i'm open to all brands, whoever has the best deal out there gets my money.
I agree.
And my comment had nothing to do with "who made the most lenses". 1.000.000 is just a number.. And what should really count is the number of different lenses
(Anyway, I won't go further into this, it makes no sense).
It's just that, in the past, other brands than Pentax had also a K-mount. This means that the compatibilty is also large for Pentax. This is about the "enormous investment", reason why the OP started this thread.. Which is a false statement indeed. One should try to be objective when writing an article about comparing things (or not).
And.. no offense samsungian
04-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #12

I can agree with all that has been said each camera has its merits, and the most important thing in buying one camera over another is what you feel comfortable with and how well it meets your needs. I originally chose pentax because of its price point, however after using the camera and learning more about it I have come to like the camera for all its features and advantages. Also it helps that it is compatible with almost every lense made for the k mount from 1970 to today.
04-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

What does this have to do with Pentax?
04-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
What does this have to do with Pentax?
A typical knee jerk reaction from an obvious Canikon troll?
Pretty obvious he's no friend of Pentax.
04-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #15
hcc
Pentaxian

Photo.net just released a review of the K-7 that is fairly positive:
Pentax K-7 Review - photo.net

Extracts of the conclusion include:
"The K-7 is a definite buy for a Pentax shooter. It has a huge hardware upgrade, and while IQ difference between the K-7 and K20D aren’t tremendous, it is improved in many areas including long exposure and image capture control. Beyond that the K-7 offers HD video with an auxiliary mic input, it’s more compact, and faster than its predecessors. It also should prove more durable long-term with a magnesium alloy body vs. the previous flagships’ polycarbonate shells.
For non-Pentax shooters, the K-7 should be appealing because it is lower priced than similar cameras from other manufacturers, built better and better sealed[...]. The K-7 is about 20-25% smaller than the competition, making it ideal for travel and adventure photography. The K-7 also has in-body stabilization with multi-axis rotation, which allows for stabilization of wide angle and macro lenses not possible from either Nikon or Canon. This means that building a system for the K-7 can be done cheaply".

Let be fair to Photo.net ...