Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 04:08 AM   #1

Some Newbie Q's about K7

I have a couple of old nikon lenses
AF Nikkor 28-80mm 1:3.3-5.6 G
&
AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G

Can I use them on the K7 if I buy it? (with a converter?)
If so how much will the converter cost?
Can I use the image stabilisation on the Pentax body with these lenses?
Can I use the Auto Focus?

Should I buy the K7 over other brands of similar price?
Main purpose is fast moving kids and also making movies.

Will the standard lense kit suffice?

Thanks
Jay

04-10-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about these specific lenses, but a number of old Nikkor lenses will mount on Pentax cameras without an adapter. However, they don't have a lot of functionality. I don't think either of your lenses has an aperture control and the K7 couldn't control that. You definitely could not use auto focus with them.

I personally would start of with the K7 and the WR kit lens and add the DA 55-300 lens. That is a great combo to begin with.

I find that my favorite lenses to take video with are primes, in particular the DA 35. It's a little pricey, but feels about perfect.
04-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks rondec I'll check them out.
04-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #4

I have a K7 and I wouldn't change it for anything else (If they gave me A 3D mark XX, I'll think twice). But Pentax lenses... I just love them!

You could still get some money out of those Nikon lenses. Or buy an adaptor.. But you will loose
some light when using them (don't know how much though). So you'll have to choose between
loosing an f-stop or two (or just a half) or loosing some money.

But you also can buy some old manuals for Pentax. They are real good quality for the price!
(if manual shooting is not scaring you).

About SR. The SR on Pentax is in-body. So every lens (even old manuals) can have SR enabled.

04-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't believe there is any adapter you can use to mount those two lenses on the k-7.
what I do know is if you consider buying a Nikon you should know that those lenses won't be able to focus automatically (i.e. you'll need to use manual focus) on the lower end cameras (up to the D5000), of course none of these are direct competitors to the K-7.
04-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
ahh excellent thanks people. K7 save up time hey
04-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #7

Hooray! Another pentaxian

You won't be deceived with the K-7!! Once you've got it, don't forget to tell us what you think about it
04-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
Well give me a few months to save up

Bloody lumix FZ7 has a bubble or something behind the lense and gives a shaded spot. Was a great camera though.

I think the weather resistant body has sold me on the K7 and the size and the features.

Not sure if the low light autofocus and noise at high ISO are issues for me? they were the only negative points on the K7 I read in the reviews.

It won't get used much in other modes other than auto.

04-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jayendra Quote
I have a couple of old nikon lenses
AF Nikkor 28-80mm 1:3.3-5.6 G
&
AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G

Can I use them on the K7 if I buy it? (with a converter?)
If so how much will the converter cost?
Can I use the image stabilisation on the Pentax body with these lenses?
Can I use the Auto Focus?

Should I buy the K7 over other brands of similar price?
Main purpose is fast moving kids and also making movies.

Will the standard lense kit suffice?

Thanks
Jay
You already got good advice.

Looking at Photozone.de and Slrgear.com, there is no info on a 18-80mm Nikkor zoom, but reviews of the 70-300mm Nikkor are not too elogious. It might suggest that these are older lenses somehow outdated.

I agree with a number of earlier posts suggesting the K-7 with the kit lens 18-55mm WR. That will give you a nice weather resistant system (camera+ lens) for a start and it is excellent value for money. Prices are below the US$1,000. in various promotions, well reported in this forum.

Hope the comment will be useful... and welcome to the forum.
04-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jayendra Quote
Well give me a few months to save up

Bloody lumix FZ7 has a bubble or something behind the lense and gives a shaded spot. Was a great camera though.

I think the weather resistant body has sold me on the K7 and the size and the features.

Not sure if the low light autofocus and noise at high ISO are issues for me? they were the only negative points on the K7 I read in the reviews.

It won't get used much in other modes other than auto.
I wouldn't put a whole lot of literal stock into the reviews. If you're trying to focus on black on black in a dark room at ISO 3200, yes, auto focus may be slow and the photo will be noisy. Under normal conditions (unless that IS normal for you), the K7 is a fine performer. The review, if properly done, may give us some idea of what to expect but they aren't the end all be all. That's been the case with every Pentax digital SLR I've ever owned. If you want to know how a camera truly performs, any camera, ask somebody who actually owns one and takes it out and uses it. If there is something they really hate about it, they will be more than happy to talk about it.

Enjoy your new K7 (when you get it) and welcome to the club..

09-13-2010, 02:46 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hey there, I ended up getting the K-x because I found a great deal with twin lense kit, so I snapped it up. This is my first dslr and if I get into the hobby more I will upgrade to the K-5 in a year or 2.

Really excited to get some quality pics of my children
09-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Why not just consider the D3100? It does video better (AF too!) and probably accepts your Nikon glass.

edit: Come to think of it, it probably handles AF much faster than the K-7 as well.

Jason