Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Then there is also this: https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.org.pl/tomaszkos/en/pk_tether (overkill to replace a simple shutter remote, of course :-)

12-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rik Rabbit Quote
Hi! I'm new to this forum having just bought a K-x. I also wanted a remote so that I could do relatively long exposures of models (cars mainly) in Av mode and on a tripod. I found an old Remote Control C Set in my general junk box and after ensuring the battery was working had a go. Once the autofocus function is activated, as explained in an earlier response (Thanks. Very helpful) I've found you can activate the shutter from directly behind the camera, above and below, though only on the right hand side. I suspect that this is because I am working indoors. It seems unlikely to operate as helpfully outside. The IR beam presumably bounces off the ceiling and/or walls. Anyway, it works for me.
Are the models moving? If not, why can't you just use the self timer?
12-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Go to the hardware store get a l-bracket with the holes in it get a screw that will mount to bottom of camera craft store small 2inch mirror glue to bracket problem solved. I used this method with my D3000 nikon works okay if it's to sunny out black foamy cut to size to block stray light. One of the reasons I sold the nikon was because of this plus can't meter with the lenses all of my old glass works just fine K100d like brand new when I got it.
12-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Are the models moving? If not, why can't you just use the self timer?
That was going to be my suggestion. Put on the 2 second delay and click and step away. I think the remote can do this. Not sure. If not I'm pretty sure it does not have to be directly in front. Angled would work too

Swyped on my DROID X using TapaTalk.

*updated. Once i got home i looked at my Kx, you can either do remote shutter release, or remote shutter release with 3 second delay. I think the delay should help you out

Last edited by SlickYamaha; 12-31-2010 at 02:03 PM.
12-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If I may do this go to Focalprice.com 70cm digital remote shutter release.
01-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I get good results with a mechanical release. I found that using the IR remote, my Kx seems to turn itself 'off' during long exposures so it was not responding to the second press to end the exposure. Turning the whole camera off with the on/off switch would end the exposure but obviously not ideal. So it was back to mechanical for me as well. There is a nice example of a good diy mechanical release here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/77684-k-x-king-lon...ml#post1323070 and I came across this one on ebay Mechanical Remote Shutter Release for Olympus E-PL1 on eBay (end time 09-Jan-11 04:48:41 GMT) The diy has the advantage of not decreasing the effectiveness of the tripod / camera interface.
01-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ambienthousewife Quote
Yes, I get good results with a mechanical release. I found that using the IR remote, my Kx seems to turn itself 'off' during long exposures so it was not responding to the second press to end the exposure. Turning the whole camera off with the on/off switch would end the exposure but obviously not ideal. So it was back to mechanical for me as well. There is a nice example of a good diy mechanical release here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/77684-k-x-king-lon...ml#post1323070 and I came across this one on ebay Mechanical Remote Shutter Release for Olympus E-PL1 on eBay (end time 09-Jan-11 04:48:41 GMT) The diy has the advantage of not decreasing the effectiveness of the tripod / camera interface.

Are you sure that your camera "turning off" with long exposures with the remote control wasn't just the dark frame subtraction happening? If you take an exposure of longer than 30 seconds it automatically happens, you can only switch it off in the menu's for exposures shorter than this. I have not noticed any difference between using the remote and the physical shutter on mine.

01-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
No, the DFS is after the exposure finishes. The camera becomes unresponsive to IR while the shutter is still open after a couple of minutes or so. So, for a short bulb expose, press one opens the shutter, press two closes it. On a long exposure (ie more than 90 seconds or so) it opens as normal, but the second press of the IR remote does nothing. It is still recording the image. After turning off with the on/off switch the shutter closes and it then goes through the DFS cycle as normal. I did try to set the automatic power down time to a longer value, it didn;t seem to make much difference. Not a big problem and easy to overcome.