Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
Borislav's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 154
Pentax K7 (Setting Focus Point) Please Help

Hello folks,

I have just purchased my first DSLR so yes I am a complete newb.

I am having some trouble setting the focus point on the k7. The book said to put the dial on <SEL> which is what I did. However when I do so I do not see the symbol on the screen change from <Auto> mode. I am not sure if this is a defect however when I hit the <OK> button nothing happens. I am not able to move around the focus point with the four directional pads.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I send the camera back?

Thanks in advance for you help.

04-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Borislav Quote
Hello folks,

I have just purchased my first DSLR so yes I am a complete newb.

I am having some trouble setting the focus point on the k7. The book said to put the dial on <SEL> which is what I did. However when I do so I do not see the symbol on the screen change from <Auto> mode. I am not sure if this is a defect however when I hit the <OK> button nothing happens. I am not able to move around the focus point with the four directional pads.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I send the camera back?

Thanks in advance for you help.
You're misunderstanding.. The Select focus point you are referring to is the area of the viewfinder that the AF selects for focusing. 3 choices. Auto, Sel, and Center. Set it to Center. The AF/MF switch is on the front of the camera near the lens (AF-S, AF-C, and M).

04-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Var, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,071
Humm, JeffJs, sorry, but I cannot see where Borislav talked about AF.C or AF.S problems...

Borislav, your explanation seems clear to me, and I think your problem is that you are in Green mode... In this mode, a lot of things are set by default and cannot be changed!

For instance, the focus point selection is disabled (along with RAW shooting, etc).
Select any other mode (P, Av, anything), and it should work...
04-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
Borislav's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 154
Original Poster
Hrm....

I am not sure about what you are saying.

What I am trying to do is move the focus point around in the viewfinder.

To do this I am following the manual and setting the switch to <SEL> The display on the screen does not change. I think that is the problem. It looks like the camera switch on the right of the screen is not working.

04-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Senior Member
Borislav's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 154
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Humm, JeffJs, sorry, but I cannot see where Borislav talked about AF.C or AF.S problems...

Borislav, your explanation seems clear to me, and I think your problem is that you are in Green mode... In this mode, a lot of things are set by default and cannot be changed!

For instance, the focus point selection is disabled (along with RAW shooting, etc).
Select any other mode (P, Av, anything), and it should work...

Yes, the AF C AF.S feature works perfectly.

But I did set it to AV and tried it on M. The switch just does not seem to do anything. I think I have a camera in which the switch itself is not working.

I could be wrong though. Is there any other option to turn this switch on? I tried the firmware update, and nothing.
04-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Humm, JeffJs, sorry, but I cannot see where Borislav talked about AF.C or AF.S problems...

Borislav, your explanation seems clear to me, and I think your problem is that you are in Green mode... In this mode, a lot of things are set by default and cannot be changed!

For instance, the focus point selection is disabled (along with RAW shooting, etc).
Select any other mode (P, Av, anything), and it should work...
QuoteOriginally posted by Borislav Quote
Yes, the AF C AF.S feature works perfectly.

But I did set it to AV and tried it on M. The switch just does not seem to do anything. I think I have a camera in which the switch itself is not working.

I could be wrong though. Is there any other option to turn this switch on? I tried the firmware update, and nothing.
Ok, I never use green mode and all my cameras are permanently fixed to Center AF. I didn't even know that the info screen shows the AF point

If it isn't working in Any mode, then there may be a problem. Try setting it for Center..

04-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Var, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,071
And the AF points diagram on the info screen always shows Auto, no matter where the lever is?

Just like this?


Well... Faulty body to me...
04-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
Borislav's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 154
Original Poster
You got it!

I think I do have a faulty body. Gotta exchange it.

04-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Var, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,071
Well, only way I can reproduce this behavior is when I'm in green mode... Sorry dude!
04-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
Borislav's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 154
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, only way I can reproduce this behavior is when I'm in green mode... Sorry dude!
This is actually the second time in a row I get a broken camera from Amazon. com

I am done with em. Going to a retailer Monday and sending this junk back.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, focus, help, k7, pentax k7, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K100D Super - Focus point locked to center in Manual Focus ? JGabr Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 01-25-2010 09:41 PM
Setting up focal point for manual lenses. consider crop factor? D4rknezz Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 09-23-2009 01:00 PM
focus point... is yours in the centre? 5teve Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 06-04-2009 03:41 PM
SEL focus point with Pentax-M lenses IsaacSteiner Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 02-25-2009 07:21 AM
Help W. Auto Focus Setting voicelit Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 10-09-2008 12:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top