Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

How water resistant is K7 paired with a DA* lens?

I got into Pentax for the small primes + in body SR and have been absolutely loving the system. One activity I enjoy is canoeing and I've got some extended trips planned for this summer. In the past I used a big Pelican case with my Canon body, 17-40/4L, 70-200/4L & 400/5.6L. I don't particularly relish the large case and it's somewhat of a pain to get into. Furthermore I get lazy and don't bother to snap the case shut so that I can access the camera quicker.

Now I've got a weather resistant body (Pentax K-7) but my DA Ltds aren't sealed. I was thinking of getting a DA* 50-135 or 60-250 and a small Pelican case. I'd put the DA 21 & 35 in the Pelican case and keep it sealed except when needing one of those lenses. Mainly I'd leave the DA* lens on the K-7 and keep that between my feet on the floor of the canoe for quick access when needed.

This begs the question of how water resistant the combination of the DA* lenses with the K7 are. If a substantial amount of water is splashed on the camera, would it be okay? How about if it sat in a centimetre or two of water in the bottom of the canoe for a considerable period of time (until I realized it was taking a bath and moved it)? I'm not really expecting it to survive full immersion, but could it?

04-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I live in the sunny island of Singapore and last weekend, I used my K7 with my DA* 16-50/2.8 in the heavy drizzle to take pictures of my school's St John Ambulance brigade kids in a competition and it started to rain.

It could take heavy drizzle and I did not have a chance to test further as the judges cut the competition short as it began to pour a little heavier.

But i had a quiet laugh at the teacher from another school with his Nikon and him taking pictures from the shade/cover of the building. hehe . . . The power of Weather seals . . .
04-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-7 body and the Pentax DA WR and DA* lenses are weather resistant. That is not waterproof, but there have been many experiences of pentaxians who used the K-7 with WR lens(es) in rain without any problem.

I have myself a K-7 and two non-WR lenses, although one (Nokton 58mm) is very robust and almost WR. I use my K-7and lenses outdoor and I took them a number of times in wet, dusty and muddy conditions. I had no problem, but off course I take care of the gears.

In response to your query, splahes should not be a problem but I would not leave the camera and lens(es) sitting in the water at the bottom of the canoe. I used before my cameras on the water (sea, lakes, rivers) while on canoe, dinghy or small boats, and I strap the camera around my neck all the time. When I did not use the camera, I put it inside a small rain jacket to be protected, with the strap around my neck. In a few occasions, I was even wearing my wet suit because of the cold and damp weather conditions and I was wearing a light rain jacket on the top just to protect the camera. Off course the camera and lens got wet, and I wiped them regularly beftween series of shots.

Hope that the comments and experience will assist.

Note that there have been a number of recent threads on WR in www.pentaxforums.com.
04-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I wouldn't go swimming in a lake with it, but if you want to go out on a rainy day then I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you clean it off when you get home so that the water doesn't sit and seep its way into places that you don't want it to.