Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 hang

did anyone of you ever had his K7 hang,
I was taking pictures yesterday, and suddenly it did not respond anymore.

LCD screen,Display and none of the buttons responded It showed the info of the last situation. Power switch did not respond either. Only thing I cluld do was unscrew battery grip and take out the battery from the body. After putting it all together again It worked as ususal.
'
Setting Was: P, contnuous AF, and Highspeed. I was taking pictures of children playing. So nothing special ( I think)

04-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think I heard something about the battery grip contacts causing a problem with the K-7. Do a forum search for K-7 battery grip problems and you might find it. Did it work without the grip on?
04-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Like jct us101, I read some similar stories with the K-7 grip when some battery were less charged (or close to zero) than others.

However there were a couple of similar recent threads with K-7 and K-x (if I remember correctly) where some users experienced some crash similar to yours without grip. It was suggested that, when the battery is near depleted, its voltage drops sharply and the camera stops suddenly.

Usually these situations are solved by removing the battery/batteries, charging them 100% and restarting the camera. The removal of the battery resets the camera and seems to help.

Question: What was the status your battery/batteries? at the time of crash? Were they all depleted? were there some depelted battery ? did you have a combination of AA and D-LI90 battery ?
04-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Like jct us101, I read some similar stories with the K-7 grip when some battery were less charged (or close to zero) than others.

However there were a couple of similar recent threads with K-7 and K-x (if I remember correctly) where some users experienced some crash similar to yours without grip. It was suggested that, when the battery is near depleted, its voltage drops sharply and the camera stops suddenly.

Usually these situations are solved by removing the battery/batteries, charging them 100% and restarting the camera. The removal of the battery resets the camera and seems to help.

Question: What was the status your battery/batteries? at the time of crash? Were they all depleted? were there some depelted battery ? did you have a combination of AA and D-LI90 battery ?
I have configured the system to self decide hwich batery to use, but don't know how to find out what the "real" present capacity of the bateries is
when i go to the dispay where i can changer the batery settings of the batery grip I see 2 full bat's ( and they have been serving for at least 1000 shot's)
So is there a way to see more detailled info regarding te batery status??

04-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photome will show you the source..

This is from a photo taken with the grip and No battery in the body.. The battery meter reads full in this situation.

This one is taken without the grip attached. The battery that was in the body read 2/3 full.

The Power source is what you are looking at. It's in the list below the metering info. You have to do this either with the RAW file or with an unprocessed JPG.

What I'm finding confusing without further testing, is the information below the power source flag.

You can do your own testing to see what these numbers are really saying with respect to battery charge.

04-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had some equally bizarre behaviour with my K-7 yesterday, but not when using the grip. I popped the SD card out while the camera was powered off, then popped it back in again. A couple of seconds later, the rear LCD suddenly lit up with the status display *while the camera was powered off*. None of the buttons did anything at all. I powered the camera on, and the status display disappeared and all seemed normal, but when I then powered the camera back off, the top panel only partially cleared - all the horizontal lines remained black, while the vertical ones went clear. Turning the camera on and off worked, but each time it was turned off, the top LCD went back to the same bizarre state.

Removing the battery cleared and reseating it cleared all of these problems for me.

Moral here is that these cameras are basically computers, and powering them off doesn't actually shut them down, but rather puts most services to sleep. Obviously for whatever reason, my camera had gotten itself confused about its operating status, and it needed rebooting. The way to achieve that is to remove the battery.

I've had similar with other (non-Pentax) cameras. If you're on the latest firmware, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the problem recurs more than very occasionally.