Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 going into Pentax repair

I have really been agonizing the last few months since I purchased the K7. Its been a real struggle to get a good sharp picture.

The thing is I am fairly new to all this so I have been blaming myself, thinking that its a different sensor that it is going to have a different output.
My main issue has been with my Sigma 100-300. I think becasue of the longer focal length and SR. This is my second copy of the Sigma ( recently purchased a few months ago )so I have been questioning whether it has issues or not so I purchased a K10D which I have owned before and really liked to test it on.

Well, I can finally get the pictures I know the Sigma can produce so I know its not the lens.
I purchased the K7 for the larger number of mega pixels for cropping and the higher ISO so I can shoot at greater speeds.

This whole thing has had me stressed out thinking I have taken a step back. It as hindered my shooting because I haven't been pleased with the photos and I have felt at times about giving up. But I really love photograghy so thats not going to happen.

Anyway, I'm back the saddle again and will use the K10D until I get the K7 back from repair. Beside the pictures not being sharp possible from SR and bad sensor I think it has a issue with the metering also so the exposure isn't helping with detail either.

I think I will keep the K10D as a back-up becasue it is a great camera. I am just looking forward to see what the K7 can really do when it works properly.

This is just a few examples from K7

Last edited by OrenMc; 04-11-2010 at 06:45 AM.
04-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope you get things worked out, its sounds really frustrating not getting the shots you want and its the camera's fault. Did you go straight from the K10D to the K7?
04-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes it is frustrating and winter and rain doesn't help either.

But to answer your question, I had the K20D also so I have delt with the CMOS sensor before.

I love the Sigma 100-300/4, its an amazing and versitile lens. Probably gets the most use.

I am glad it is the camera and not the lens becasue I have dealt wiht Pentax repair and they have always been fairly quick with repair. Should only be a couple weeks. I don't know how Sigma is with turn around.
04-11-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Veru interesting. I have my k10d sit too long but it broke. My K7 has a little problem same your. I remember my k10d has no problem. Interesting. Thanks

04-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #5

i am confused. Is there something wrong with those two shots? they look fine to me. id be happy with them.
04-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gmturner Quote
i am confused. Is there something wrong with those two shots? they look fine to me. id be happy with them.
you should see his flickr page...
04-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

When in doubt, get it checked under warranty. My k7 was producing terrible images... couldn't get anything in focus even though the focus lock indicator said it was. Pentax replaced the main circuit board and it is fine now. Good that you have a backup

04-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think there were some kind of fix on one of the firmware releases ... Are you with the 1.3 ?
04-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmturner Quote
The shots may seem fine but if you know how clear and crisp the Sigma produces. These shots are terribly soft actually.

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
you should see his flickr page...
Not sure what that means. I have some okay photos there as I only post the keepers. I will post examples of poor shots sometimes. I don't have which shots are from K10, K20 or K7. The photos further back are from K10 and K20 but I do have a few newer one from those cameras also the I just recently processed.

I don't have to many keeper from the K7 and Sigma.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
When in doubt, get it checked under warranty. My k7 was producing terrible images... couldn't get anything in focus even though the focus lock indicator said it was. Pentax replaced the main circuit board and it is fine now. Good that you have a backup
Seem I remember you posting about this. Glad you have it fixed now. How long did Pentax have your camera?

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
I think there were some kind of fix on one of the firmware releases ... Are you with the 1.3 ?
Yes, I have the newest firmware. I heared how great results some folks were having with SR.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Here is another example.

Last edited by OrenMc; 04-11-2010 at 09:15 AM.
04-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If it will help, I too had the same issues. Upgraded to a K-7 from a 2 K10D body setup. Same lenses, so I knew what the lenses were capable of. Took 3,000+ images while traveling in Italy. Outcome was pretty dismal. Maybe 10% were as sharp as the old K10D's. I knew something was up so I sent it in to C.R.I.S. and after 5 weeks it came back with a complete new sensor assembly. It behaves like it should now. I'm sure like any Toyota, there will be one or two rotten eggs among the flock.
good luck!
04-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Ror, why didn't you send it in to Pentax for repair? I had to send my K20D in and a lens once and the turn around time was around 2 weeks.
Just wondering why you used CRIS instead.

I know it not a perfect world and it surely doesn't make me feel less confident in Pentax.

BTW, am I the only one that thinks the first two photos are soft. I know its not part of processing and downsizing. I add a bit of sharpnes and unsharp mask. The original photos at 100% crop were awful.
04-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
BTW, am I the only one that thinks the first two photos are soft. I know its not part of processing and downsizing. I add a bit of sharpnes and unsharp mask. The original photos at 100% crop were awful.
If you want comments on the sharpness, you need to post the full images. Nobody can make valid comments on sharpness based on vastly downsized pictures, especially if any subsequent processing (unsharp masking etc.) has been done.

That said, in your third example it looks to me as if perhaps the image is simply front-focused. No idea how you focused, but I'm wondering if you let the camera select the AF point, and it was fooled into focusing on one of the nearer branches, most likely the one to the left of the bird's head.
04-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They look quite soft to me, too.

I think tokyoso's comment about your Flickr page is in reference to some of the fine, sharp images you have there.
04-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Ror, why didn't you send it in to Pentax for repair? I had to send my K20D in and a lens once and the turn around time was around 2 weeks.
Just wondering why you used CRIS instead.
CRIS was appointed by Pentax as the "Official Factory Repair for US" in August of '09. Guess they are one and the same.
04-13-2010, 03:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks rormeister, the last time I sent something in was before that time so I will have to check that out.

Now this is more like what the Sigma can do and I started out with just a -2mg image so I didn't have much to work with in downsize and crop. Had the camera on the wrong settings. Shot with K10D

Last edited by OrenMc; 04-13-2010 at 03:47 AM.