Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
How do you protect your camera from the elements?

I have to ask this because I got a Kx,
and this came to me since Kx doesnt have weather sealings..

so can you share some tips on how do you protect your camera?
do you buy some sort of things for protection?

04-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even though I have a K20D I started off with the K100D which is not WR. For starters I believe that even though your camera is not WR it can still stand some light rain to a degree. Once it becomes more then that you can either use a bag around the camera to protect or just put the camera away. If your camera does get wet try to dry it off soon so water does not pool up in the buttons and work its way into the camera.

Hope this helps.
04-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

There are a number of soft plastic bag protection for camera arond. One manufaturer is Camera Rain Covers - Recommended by Shutterbug, Outdoor Photographer, others. It was recommended by another Pentaxian but I never try. There are other rain cover manufacturers: ask your local photo store. They may be able to help you.

I have a K-7 that is WR and I cannot comment on these rain cover bags.
04-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I thin that you will use the camera not often with bad weather conditions, it's really rare that you shoot under the rain, therefore don't care about this.

If you do sport photos in open place and you must stay there, you can wear the camera with a K-way.

04-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Banned

I find it very amusing, now that weather sealing is becoming common, that people fear using a camera without it. I understand a desire to protect an investment, but come now, people have been using cameras in all sorts of conditions for over a century. they are not as fragile as people seem to be making them out to be. unless you are planing on taking it into the rainforest, or specifically shooting in the rain I see little reason to worry so much. Manila isnt going to destroy your K-x.
04-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I find it very amusing, now that weather sealing is becoming common, that people fear using a camera without it. I understand a desire to protect an investment, but come now, people have been using cameras in all sorts of conditions for over a century. they are not as fragile as people seem to be making them out to be. unless you are planing on taking it into the rainforest, or specifically shooting in the rain I see little reason to worry so much. Manila isnt going to destroy your K-x.
Ditto.

I've used a K100D & K2000 in moderate rain, heavy snow, sleet... and both cameras emerged just fine.
04-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

well if you want a comparison....there are times when 1D users and so on question why my K20D can match their weather sealing yet is a fraction of their cost.

There are just times when have the right subject just in the wrong conditions. Glad to have a camera that can cut it if needed but best is to take precaution.
04-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I try to avoid being out in bad weather now. Oh fudge, I must venture into the rain and retrieve a lawn chair that is blowing away...

OK, I'm back. I try to shoot from a sheltered position now. I don't get paid for rain and snow.

Back in the day, I wore a field jacket. I had an SLR slung around my neck INSIDE THE JACKET on inclement days, extra lenses and RF's in interior pockets and web-belt pouches, maybe a TLR in a plastic bag in an outside pocket. Weather sealing? Ha. Ha.

Pull a camera out and hold it to my eye, sheltered by the brim of my cap, just long enough to shoot, then quickly put it away. In blizzardy Kansas or Germany, body heat kept the shutters and helicoids thawed. I kept a zippered changing bag in another outer pocket as weather-proofing when cameras needed to be opened or lenses replaced. The tough part was handling this stuff through gloves or mittens.

If/when I get a WR lens for the K20D, I'll go crawling through muck and precipitation, but not until then...

04-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well I'm sure that you've had a camera that isn't weather sealed before, most of us have. Mostly, just don't take it out in the rain or a dust storm, be careful when taking it to places like the beach, and make sure that if it does get wet at all that you instantly wipe it off.
04-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote
I have to ask this because I got a Kx,
and this came to me since Kx doesnt have weather sealings..

so can you share some tips on how do you protect your camera?
do you buy some sort of things for protection?
You should definitely buy personal protection insurance that covers all your camera equipment, Marc, a mod here, def recommends that in addition to any product :-) even if your stuff is weather sealed!
04-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

here's an article I found talking about insurance!
Camera and Equipment Insurance - photo.net

this should spread some insight into it!
04-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The most basic thing that people tend to overlook is getting a camera bag.
It protects your camera when not in use and would definitely pad it from bumps and drops.
You don't need your camera to be always in the ready just hanging on your neck all the time just exposed.
You can still have it at the ready in a sling bag or a holster.
Even if it rains, you'll know it is in the bag well protected, rather than just running for cover or trying to cover it with a shirt or something.
04-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #13

Original Poster
yes, I will have the camera insured as well since my aunt works in an insurance company so that will be a no-hassle for me..

well, of course cameras before have been used outdoors even with those elements but this is for the intention of protecting my investment, which is big for me as a student I came up with the money only through saving,

also the weather here is quite unpredictable, you get extremely hot weather during noon then it will eventually rain a little without you knowing.. well of course im not going to shoot in such bad weather but just to have it just in case...

a little investment which can actually save a $--- worth of equipment.
04-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Insurance is definitely something that is recommended! You can get your camera protected with normal renters or other forms of insurance if you have it too. I would definitely recommend doing it.
04-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

New gear used to always come with little sachets of silica gel, but you don't see it so much now. I daresay that if it still available, a few sachets of it in the camera bag would help to absorb moisture on a continuing basis.