Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

IMHO, mirrorless designs require in-body stabilization. After all, if you're after a small body, you are also after small lenses. The NX10/30mm combo sounded like a great walkaround package, until I realised it had no stabilization.

04-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
IMHO, mirrorless designs require in-body stabilization. After all, if you're after a small body, you are also after small lenses. The NX10/30mm combo sounded like a great walkaround package, until I realised it had no stabilization.
It's a pity about the lack of in body stabilization. But the 30mm is faster than most kit lenses. You are less likely to need IS if you are willing to shoot at say around f/2.8 which should yield an acceptable DOF.
04-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Mirrorless?

By "mirrorless" do you mean rangefinder or just a simple viewfinder as in point and shoot or wire frame?
Or something else?

Mickey
04-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
By "mirrorless" do you mean rangefinder or just a simple viewfinder as in point and shoot or wire frame?
Or something else?

Mickey
I mean the new interchangeable lens cameras: micro four thirds models by Panasonic and Olympus and the new APS-C sensor NX10 by Samsung.

These cameras are smaller and more compact due to the lack of the mirror-box - meaning no optical viewfinder, composition is done through either the LCD screen or Electronic View finder instead. The image quality matches conventional DSLRs as the image sensor used is the same.

Samsung NX10 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Scroll down to the middle of the page to see a schematic showing the differences.

04-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Shahmatt,

Thank you.

Its new to me.
I shall have to take a look at one.

Mickey
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Problem with this is that you want a small body and introducing an SR mechanism on the body might actually make it thicker.
The P&S have an electronic SR (Pentax W80 has it), that just tracks the pixel and adjusts the movement if the pixels become offset.
I don't think this is very effective though or as effective as built-in SR mechanisms.
04-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as far as I am concerned they already have a ton of them, they are called P&S cameras

Seriously, I have a kodak EV camera. WHile it is ok for viewing in bright light, and the camera itself (DX9750) is a great little bridge camera, very capable etc, any electronic view finder at this point in time is no good at all for fine focus decisions, and manual focus,

even live view is not that food from what I ahve seen on my K7, and all of them suffer very badly in low light.

Optical is the way to go, for now and for the foreseeable future
04-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The micro-four-thirds cameras prove that EVF systems can be made in a reasonably small package. This is not the same as point and shoot since the lenses are interchangeable and the sensor is much larger... about half our APS-C. But only the Olympus has image stabilisation which, as others note here, is essential for these small systems. There is no mass in the camera to use to hold a shot steady!

Unfortunately these cameras seem to miss the mark since they are so expensive to buy. Once can get into Pentax for the same price and have a camera that is fully realised and has many more features. The m43 seem rather clunky in how they implement manual focus, for example, and since the auto-focus is not always up to snuff that is a problem.

Another reality is that once the camera plus lens gets to a certain size it is not going to fit into a pocket, but needs a bag. At that point moving up to Pentax DSLR is an easier choice to make.

04-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that while there we are only seeing the beginning of a major trend, mirrorless cameras are still several years away from being seen as "on-par" with top end pro cameras. They have their purpose and their market. I don't think that's going to change for at least 5-10 years.
04-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Does Pentax have any rangefinder style film cameras that they could put into a frame for a mirrorless digital camera?
04-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I think that while there we are only seeing the beginning of a major trend, mirrorless cameras are still several years away from being seen as "on-par" with top end pro cameras. They have their purpose and their market. I don't think that's going to change for at least 5-10 years.
As features and technologies improve I think that EVFs will be preferred to OVFs.

And so mirrorless designs will be likely to completely take over the compact DSLR market in a short while, and then gradually impeach on to higher end models.

I'm pretty sure the future of cameras will be in mirror-less designs.
04-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Does Pentax have any rangefinder style film cameras that they could put into a frame for a mirrorless digital camera?
Pentax has never made a rangefinder film camera, period. Some lenses for other rangefinders, yes, but no Pentax rangefinders ever.