Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

focusing screen split into thirds ??

its possible to change your focusing screen, right? well are there focusing screens that have thirds lines on them, for composition building??
it seems like a good idea to me, because it would force me to think about the compositon more technically

04-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh i jus used google and answered my own question

fml

ok il change the questin from that to
i have an *istDL, and will any focusing screen fit, even non pentax ones?
04-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is some cross-over, i.e. K10/K20 use the same screen but do not share with *ist. This link should help answer your questions on screens:

Katz Eye Optics
04-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There is some cross-over, i.e. K10/K20 use the same screen but do not share with *ist. This link should help answer your questions on screens:

Katz Eye Optics
thanks. not exactly cheap are they

04-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure of the total answer here, at one point, I tried to identify the list of cameras with interchangeable screens.

As a minimum, this is what I established.

the *istD, DS, K10D, and K20D all can use the same screens.\

In fact I have swapped my *istD screen into my K10D to demonstrate that the exposure error with the K10/K20 and manual aperture lenses is due to the focusing screen.

The other *istDXX cameras use a penta mirror, not prism, and the screens are diffierent.

I don't know how, or if they compare to the K100 series, or other cameras.
04-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Try seller Jinfinance on Ebay. I'm not a fan of the $20 Travor screens. Only Katzeyes have thirds, so you don't have a choice there. Frankly, I'd put that money in a new body.
04-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Try seller Jinfinance on Ebay. I'm not a fan of the $20 Travor screens. Only Katzeyes have thirds, so you don't have a choice there. Frankly, I'd put that money in a new body.
yes, exactly what i was thinking
04-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
Forum Member

New body ? does the newest Pentax do that ? i don't think the K7 had that feature...?

By the way, i saw one here for sale for a K-x model, you can see what it look like:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/96342-sale-[sold]-k-x-focusing...s-grid-us.html

Last edited by TanGU; 04-26-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: found a used one
04-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
Inactive Account

A lot of people are going to cringe at this but you can also draw your own lines with a very fine tip pen. Not the most sophisticated and perhaps not even desirable but screen makers aren't the only ones to ever put lines on a focus screen.

04-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TanGU Quote
New body ? does the newest Pentax do that ? i don't think the K7 had that feature...?

By the way, i saw one here for sale for a K-x model, you can see what it look like:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/96342-sale-[sold]-k-x-focusing...s-grid-us.html
No, the new bodies do not have rule of thirds. I'm merely stating that ~$120-150 is a lot of money to spend on a focusing screen for a very old camera body. I would recommend putting that chunk of money into a new body first and foremost. Upgrading the accessories of a dying body is disagreeable to me.

However, if the ist*d's focusing screen is compatible with the K20D, then it is also compatible with the new K-x. I have a K20D from JinFinance in my K-x currently and it works fine, albeit it requires a thin shim.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
A lot of people are going to cringe at this but you can also draw your own lines with a very fine tip pen. Not the most sophisticated and perhaps not even desirable but screen makers aren't the only ones to ever put lines on a focus screen.

I would avoid the tipped pen as it can smear under the ruler. Also finding a permanent pen/marker that thin (.3mm) and able to stay permanent on grounded glass is difficult. I would use an exacto blade instead to etch the line, it'll also look a whole lot better.

I'm one to believe that you should train yourself to see the rule of thirds. It's certainly not difficult. Also it is a guideline meant to be followed and occasionally broken, so don't lock yourself into rule of thirds for every single photo. I also hate seeing anything on my viewfinder. I want to see the image only and no other distractions.
04-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Forum Member

hangu,

okay i know now why you said that, you were reffering to his *istDL...

btw...
I don't know why Pentax didn't think of adding those line digitally, directly on the screen, so you can enable or disable it from a menu, that would be nice
04-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TanGU Quote
hangu,

okay i know now why you said that, you were reffering to his *istDL...

btw...
I don't know why Pentax didn't think of adding those line digitally, directly on the screen, so you can enable or disable it from a menu, that would be nice
Yes, I was referring to the *istD, the camera body alone is worth less than the focusing screen at this point.

Pentax couldn't even be bothered to add focal indicator lights to the K-x, so I think you're asking for too much here. That lack of function alone cost Pentax dearly. I've heard far too many people complain about how it doesn't have focal point indicators so they'll go with Canon/Nikon instead, whatever, their loss.
04-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Fair enough. The point was there are ways to add the lines if you have to have them without paying $105 (base) plus $45 or more for a screen to have a company put the lines on a custom screen. Care does have to be taken if using a pen and ruler, lift the ruler without sliding it, will minimize any smearing.

04-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I see... which pen do you use to draw on the lines?
04-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Since this question is specific to DSLR's, I'm moving it to that forum.