Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
Although those 2 pieces of gear amount to ~$350 I feel pretty lucky that it was not a whole lot worse
I feel for you about the loss but I think you came out lucky.

Nice shots! I like how you separate the people from the background. You seem to be using extra light. A reflector? A flash with a light modifier?

04-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I feel for you about the loss but I think you came out lucky.

Nice shots! I like how you separate the people from the background. You seem to be using extra light. A reflector? A flash with a light modifier?
These shots were taken in full sun at 2PM on the Pacific coast... so to overpower the sun and give the pictures a nice warm evening look I was shooting Alien Bees powered off a vagabond. There are no modifiers - just 7inch reflectors.
04-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just yesterday. I was shooting at the beach

Never thought of a rogue wave coming up. Next time I will put a intertube around the bag. That should at least give me a sec.. hahaha.

I did have a close call though our tide was going out so I figured I would be ok.
Lucky me.

Bruce..
04-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So why the 1dmkIII? Those conditions should be easy for the K20D...

Pretty funny that the K20D floats :-)

04-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
So why the 1dmkIII? Those conditions should be easy for the K20D...

Pretty funny that the K20D floats :-)
Using the unique features of the Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 I can achieve sync speeds of 1/500 that I can combine with a "pushed" ISO 50 to help darken my backgrounds with the 1D. I brought both the the shoot and it was a tough call deciding which one to use.
04-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I am happy to hear that no that your equipment did not suffer much damage. I am glad the K20D is as good as advertized weather resistant.
04-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian

... so to overpower the sun and give the pictures a nice warm evening look I was shooting Alien Bees powered off a vagabond. There are no modifiers - just 7inch reflectors.
Thanks!

So far my only association with Alien Bees has been radio triggers but their flashes seem to be interesting. Am I right in assuming that they are rather inexpensive compared to similar products? Not as cheap as it gets, but presumably of better quality?
04-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks!

So far my only association with Alien Bees has been radio triggers but their flashes seem to be interesting. Am I right in assuming that they are rather inexpensive compared to similar products? Not as cheap as it gets, but presumably of better quality?
They are some of the best bang-for-buck lights. But the big thing for me is portability. They are a fraction of the size of many of the other light systems. They suffer from minor color temperature fluctuation like many mid-range light system (full power to 1/32 power will fluctuate but ~100k) but they come with super handy travel bags. For this shoot I was able to carry all my gear by myself - and in one load, that included my camera bag, umbrella, light stand, battery pack, and one Alien Bee. I was using a Canon 580exII as my secondary light source when required (the 430 that got fried was my backup).

04-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Using the unique features of the Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 I can achieve sync speeds of 1/500 that I can combine with a "pushed" ISO 50 to help darken my backgrounds with the 1D.
Probably best way to go if you want to run wide apertures. The other way to go w/ a B1600 would require you to run f/16 or f/22...

BTW, I haven't noticed color issues unless I run the bees below 1/8 power...you're seeing this at 1/4 or higher?
04-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Probably best way to go if you want to run wide apertures. The other way to go w/ a B1600 would require you to run f/16 or f/22...

BTW, I haven't noticed color issues unless I run the bees below 1/8 power...you're seeing this at 1/4 or higher?
Yah - I wanted the widest aperture possible for these shots to blur out the background while also keeping it dark. A new B1600 is also planned but there's always just so much gear that I "need" that its just not at the very top of the list at the moment. The B800 is normally adequate... and now I need a new flash and battery from the wreckage.

I haven't noticed the color a huge problem - especially outside where I run high powers (pretty much always above 1/4) and I often muck with the color temp anyway (the shots in this thread were all "warmed" slightly). In the studio I have run some pretty low power settings sometimes and found a slight variation in color temp. I've heard others complain about the temps varying with extended use also though??