Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K20D floats

My K20D floats in salt water....

Well - I don't know if it would have kept floating. But I was out on a photo shoot 2 days ago when a rogue wave took out my camera bag. The bag was open face up with all my gear resting inside. I had 50-135 mounted on my K20D with the grip attached when disaster struck. I turned around and saw the camera almost float out of the bag. When I gathered up all my gear and dried it off I opened a few compartments to see if there was any water inside and it was totally dry everywhere. I put the camera back together and kept shooting. When I got home I laid everything out and used wet towels to clean everything off and it appears to be 100% undamaged. The only 2 pieces of equipment that were damaged included a Canon flash (430exII) and the spare battery for my 1DmkIII. Although those 2 pieces of gear amount to ~$350 I feel pretty lucky that it was not a whole lot worse

Here's one shot from the session

04-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K20D floats:

Get 2 large glasses, vanilla ice cream, some root beer...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Bummer about the damaged equipment, but thank goodness the big stuff survived!
04-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm glad you posted this. I gives me more faith in the sealing on my K-7 and DA* 16-50!

I am curious, though, was there any kind of sea spray/saltwater damage to the glass elements on the lens? Or sand abrasion? Taking my equipment to any sandy area makes me nervous as hell!
04-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
I'm glad you posted this. I gives me more faith in the sealing on my K-7 and DA* 16-50!

I am curious, though, was there any kind of sea spray/saltwater damage to the glass elements on the lens? Or sand abrasion? Taking my equipment to any sandy area makes me nervous as hell!
that would only be a problem if it was rubbed in or rolling in it for a while. I had to stop myself from rubbing down the front element while I was frantically trying to dry the rest of it though. Panic almost got the best of me.

04-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That's a good cautionary note about working on any ocean beach.

20 years ago, i bought my first van from the widow of a man who was swept away by a rogue wave on an Oregon beach.
04-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow... I'm speechless. Kunik, the loss of your flash and battery aside, you are one lucky, lucky individual!
04-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt the gear would have floated for very long had they been away from the bag and in the water - so you are indeed very fortunate Chris.

Your session was fruitful though - this shot here is very beautifully done.

04-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote

dont bet on it yet...so far the miracle stories have been on the K10D and the K20D.
04-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wonder if the salt is going to have any adverse effects on the camera as time goes on too, maybe corroding the metal bits of the lens and such. Has anyone ever had any problems like that?
04-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
dont bet on it yet...so far the miracle stories have been on the K10D and the K20D.
I've definitely read at least one person claiming to have dropped their K-7 in the sea and grabbed it back out immediately, without damage.

That said, there's never any way to know whether such a claim has been embellished to any extent. I certainly wouldn't want to test it out myself, and I'd be rinsing any salt water off at the very first possible moment.

I've used my K-7 unprotected in moderately heavy rain (with a WR lens) now without ill effect though.
04-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This is actually very probably that it would float as long as the seals hold up and no water seeps in.
If the air inside that is trapped inside the camera makes it buoyant enough, then it would definitely stay afloat.
Look at the aircraft carriers made of heavy metal, they all float!
04-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The "Did it affect it?" question may not actually be answered in the short term. Come back in a few years and let us know how it's getting on!
04-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I gave it a pretty good wash when I got home so I'm pretty comfortable I got any extra salt out of it. Having said that I also have no intention of ever selling this camera so until it dies of whatever natural or unnatural causes it will continue to be a spectacular backup body for me

Another photo from the session
04-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow, thats one thing I never hope to see with my camera. It's good to hear that it survived though. Makes me more confident that if anything happens it will be alright.
04-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote

[snip] . . .

If the air inside that is trapped inside the camera makes it buoyant enough, then it would definitely stay afloat.
Look at the aircraft carriers made of heavy metal, they all float!
Depends on the density of the K20D

If the specific gravity (the ratio of density of the substance or object to the density of water, at a specified temperature, usu. 39 deg. F) of a K20D is less than 1000kg/m(3) then it will float.

For the Americans here, 1000kg/m(3) is about 64lb/ft(3).

I doubt it, but I use a battery grip, so maybe mine feels dense - but I'm not going to immerse a K20D to find its volume