Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GPS data in K7 pictures?

Is there a possible solution to get GPS data straight into the exif info after taking a picture. Or do you have a workflow to get it in afterwards and what additional hardware do you use?

04-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know of any straight to camera GPS for Pentax. You will need a GPS Logger and add to photos on a Mac or PC

Amazon.com: GPS Photo Logger / GPS data Logger SiRF III, Driverless, 128MB, Push to Log (Windows and Mac Image Software included): Electronics
04-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Would love to see it built into the camera, though I wonder at what cost to battery life. I believe there are also GPS accessories you can get that may plug directly into the camera and save GPS info with the images, but I'm not sure and most likely they are only compatible with Canon and Nikon.

What I do is manually map images using a free program called Geosetter. Most of the pictures I take are in locations that I know, but sometimes when I've taken pictures in random places, there's just no way of knowing where I was on the map.
04-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #4

You may try Eye-fi SD card with automatic geotagging to your photo and wireless upload.

04-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
You may try Eye-fi SD card with automatic geotagging to your photo and wireless upload.
Note that this is only really a useful solution for urban shooting, and even then largely in the US / Canada, Western Europe and some parts of Asia. Coverage is nearly non-existant in South America, Africa, the Middle East, Russia, China, etc. etc.

This is because Eye-Fi's cards don't use GPS to determine position (likely due to both shielding issues, and also because there's limited space in the cards themselves). Instead, Eye-Fi uses what's called WPS (Wi-Fi Positioning System) by its creator, Skyhook Wireless.

WPS relies entirely on being able to find one or more nearby wireless network(s), and comparing details of the routers' MAC addresses (and perhaps other data that's transmitted by the router before a connection is made) to Skyhook's own database.

If there's not a wireless network within range of the location of your photo (and we all know how short wifi's range is), you're out of luck. If Skyhook hasn't sent a vehicle to the location and recorded the mac addresses already, you're out of luck. If the wireless router(s) are new ones that aren't in Skyhook's database, you guessed it -- out of luck. In these circumstances, AFAIK the Eye-Fi card will simply use the last location that was within range of a known router - even if you've travelled a significant distance away in the meantime. (I'm not sure if there's a timeout after which Eye-Fi just stops geotagging until a new router is found).

In areas with minimal wifi coverage, you can conceivably even get false information if somebody moves and takes their router to a new location, until Skyhook picks this up themselves or someone reports it.

Depending on conditions (and how many networks are nearby), WPS can also yield much lower accuracy than GPS.

This isn't to say it's not a useful technology. It has its advantages, key among them that it relies solely on hardware that's already included for the core functionality of Eye-Fi's cards. It's just not a replacement for GPS in certain circumstances, especially outside of urban areas, and outside of first-world countries.
04-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The couple of times I've tagged my pictures, I've been using a separate mapping GPS device, then (since I use a mac) I've used PhotoLinker to attach the gps data to the pictures. It doesn't take long and isn't a big deal - I just need to remember to take the gps along with me and check the time set on the camera.
04-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't know of any straight to camera GPS for Pentax. You will need a GPS Logger and add to photos on a Mac or PC

Amazon.com: GPS Photo Logger / GPS data Logger SiRF III, Driverless, 128MB, Push to Log (Windows and Mac Image Software included): Electronics
I have that Amod unit, in the end not a particularly big fan of it. Way too "noisy" as far as quality of position fixes, and was quite slow to lock considering it was a SiRF III. There were a few other annoyances I can't remember...

I now use an i-Blue 747A+ - Better chipset, also works as a Bluetooth or USB puck. Not quite "driverless" like the Amod, but there's a Java application (BT747) that works on every platform I've tried it with.
04-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

when I need GPS data into photos I use a program called GeoSetter.

It is a simple image viewer that takes your GPS data (from a gpx track log file) and writes the location into the EXIF data of the files. (Works at least with JPEG I have not tried it yet with PEF or DNG.)

It requires that you set your GPS and camera to the same time etc, but also allows for adjustment of the time error between the two.

It works as a post processing application, and if you are modifying many many images, it takes a long time, best run overnight.

My only complaint is that it uses google map, and as a result, you need to be on the internet when you do it, because it is very important to verify visually on a map that the tags are where you thought you were at the time. I would prefer if someone came up with a program that would use your GPS supplier
s maps as an option. I have asked Garmin about this, they recognize the usefullness but have not produced a product or announced whether they plan to do so or not.

04-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
the i-Blue 747A+ seems rather expensive, perhaps someone knows a application to load on the GSM, since most GSM's have GPS, and most of Use carry a GSM it seems like a good solution to me
04-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #10

Jobo photoGPS ???

Does anyone have any expierence with this geotagger... They sell it at a lot of places... Here is a link to B&H for it: Jobo | photoGPS - Hot Shoe Activated GPS Datalogger | GPS001

Wouldn't this be a useful tool if somone wanted to geotag????

Thanks In Advance,
Jeremey Norris