Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
100 iso or Highlight Correction?

Hi Everyone.
While taking pictures the other day I wanted to slow my shutter speed by using 100 iso.
To do this I have to shut off Highlight Correction. I,m not clear on how this will affect my photos. Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms? Do most people use Highlight Correction? I have a k7 and shoot in raw.
Thanks
James

04-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jamescp Quote
Hi Everyone.
While taking pictures the other day I wanted to slow my shutter speed by using 100 iso.
To do this I have to shut off Highlight Correction. I,m not clear on how this will affect my photos. Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms? Do most people use Highlight Correction? I have a k7 and shoot in raw.
Thanks
James
If you're shooting raw, I think highlight correction is turned off by default. Not sure though.
04-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

By your question it sounds like you MUST turn it off to use ISO 100, but you don't NEED to, unless that was just your intention. It's just the base ISO of the camera, not sure if that's what you had meant though.
04-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
100 iso

Thanks everyone.
I think I'm beginning to understand this.

04-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Highlight correction does not get high marks on the KX from certain reviews. Shadow correction is fine.

So you would have to have Expanded Sensitivity turned on, and Highlight Correction (HC) OFF to allow you 100, since HC on will automatically make 200 your minimum.

But in Raw, like I said, I think HC is turned off by default--but by NOT turning it off yourself as the default, you're still limiting yourself to a bottom of 200:

The camera doesn't apply your ISO settings to whether you're shooting raw or JPEG.
04-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Highlight correction does not get high marks on the KX from certain reviews. Shadow correction is fine.

So you would have to have Expanded Sensitivity turned on, and Highlight Correction (HC) OFF to allow you 100, since HC on will automatically make 200 your minimum.

But in Raw, like I said, I think HC is turned off by default--but by NOT turning it off yourself as the default, you're still limiting yourself to a bottom of 200:

The camera doesn't apply your ISO settings to whether you're shooting raw or JPEG.
Yes, highlight correction is turned off in raw. Are you sure that Extended Sensitivity needs to be turned on in the K7? The K-x, yes, but 100 is the base ISO for the K7.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
04-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Yes, highlight correction is turned off in raw. Are you sure that Extended Sensitivity needs to be turned on in the K7? The K-x, yes, but 100 is the base ISO for the K7.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend A City in Photographs 365
Ooops. You're right. K7 for OP.
04-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On the K7, highlight correction in RAW just underexposes the scene by one stop... So, it says 200 iso, but it is effectively exposing your scene using the 100 iso gain, then your Raw converter pulls up the exposure numerically (if aware of the Pentax HC feature)... That's why 100iso is disabled, as it cannot expose at 50 iso...

You'd be maybe better off by disabling this feature and controlling your exposure manually using Ev Comp in contrasty scenes.