Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
rear e-dial on K20D stops working

I was doing a portrait session yesterday when something strange happened with my K20D. I was reviewing a photo, and I wanted to zoom in, so I rotated the rear e-dial—and nothing happened. No zoom. At first I thought, oh, well, and I touched the shutter to go back into shooting mode, and then I realized I could not change the aperture using the rear e-dial, either. I wish I could tell you if the FRONT e-dial was working, but I am not sure I even tried it.

I had the Pentax 40 limited on that camera and wanted to use that lens. So I turned the camera off, pulled out my K10D (which had the Pentax 70 mounted), and I swapped the lenses between the two cameras, and finished taking the next several shots with the K10D.

Then I had a short break and went back to the K20D. Turned it on—and the rear e-dial was now working! So I swapped the lenses once again, to get the 40 back on to the K20D where I preferred to have it, and everything was fine for the rest of the evening.

The only other time I remember anything LIKE this, was when my Sigma 28 f/1.8 was on one of the cameras and apparently stopped communicating with the body. But when that happened, it was not simply a matter of the e-dial becoming ineffective; I also got some sort of an error message on the top LED. Can't remember what that message was (this was 2 years ago almost) but it was something like "F---" or something else that made it clear the aperture wasn't being read by the lens.

This time, however, the only symptom was the one I described: Turning the rear e-dial stopped having an effect. Note that it wasn't a hardware problem. The e-dial DID turn. It was simply that, when I turned the e-dial, nothing happened in response.

Any ideas? This this was a one-off, cured when I turned the camera off and remounted the lens? Should I be worried?

Will

p.s. Those of us who shoot for pay know that this kind of thing may happen. I had three cameras with me. Things DO break.

04-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #2

Do you have the battery grip fitted?
It's possible to have the e-dial on the grip in between the detents, and this can cause the e-dial on the body to stop responding to user input.
04-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tenpointnine Quote
Do you have the battery grip fitted?
It's possible to have the e-dial on the grip in between the detents, and this can cause the e-dial on the body to stop responding to user input.
Thanks, interesting suggestion. I did have the grip on the K20D (the camera that had the problem). Now, if I recall correctly (this happened last night) I had NOT actually turned the grip ON. Since I started using the AF button to focus, I haven't used the e-dials on the grip or the shutter, because there's no AF button there. But I suppose it's possible. Something to consider. Thanks.

Will
04-13-2010, 03:33 AM   #4

Very interesting - I was planning to start a thread on this very topic! This thing has happened to me as well. I first noted it a few months ago while reviewing a shot and just like you, said 'Oh well' and didn't take any further notice. Last week, whilst on holiday the same thing happend and this time, like you, I decide to change the aperture but it didn't work. It started working by itself after turning off the camera and then on a couple of times. I did have the grip on but can't see why that should affect the dial. I think this is a fault which needs to be investigated further.
Any comments will be welcome.
Cheers.

04-13-2010, 03:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I had this happen and it was that the rear dial on the grip got between notches and once I spun the dial on the grip, it fixed it. Hope that's all it is.
04-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I had this happen and it was that the rear dial on the grip got between notches and once I spun the dial on the grip, it fixed it. Hope that's all it is.
I see what you and Tenpointnine mean - sorry I didn't read his post very closely . I am at work but will check it out when I get home tonight.
Cheers.
04-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will

There is a post regarding K7 and erratic rear dial operation where it was reported to skip several steps with one click,

I have also reported an issue on the K7 with low battery when zooming in to review photos, where a single click of the dial would zoom from the default full frame magnification to maximum.

Is it time we start a generic thread on rear dial functions?

At this point all I can recommend is checking the battery. I do note on the K10D (and I assume K20D) that the battery meter is almost useless, i.e. it shows full until about 20 shots away from dead, and then it shows half full. as a result, you may not realize you are close to a dead battery. K7 is much better in this regard.
04-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Will

There is a post regarding K7 and erratic rear dial operation where it was reported to skip several steps with one click,

I have also reported an issue on the K7 with low battery when zooming in to review photos, where a single click of the dial would zoom from the default full frame magnification to maximum.

Is it time we start a generic thread on rear dial functions?

At this point all I can recommend is checking the battery. I do note on the K10D (and I assume K20D) that the battery meter is almost useless, i.e. it shows full until about 20 shots away from dead, and then it shows half full. as a result, you may not realize you are close to a dead battery. K7 is much better in this regard.
Hi Lowell,
Both Tenpointnine and Rondec have made valid observations. As I mentioned in my post, I am going to check and see if the battery grip is causing the problem. I'll post again later today.
Cheers.

04-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naim Khan Quote
Hi Lowell,
Both Tenpointnine and Rondec have made valid observations. As I mentioned in my post, I am going to check and see if the battery grip is causing the problem. I'll post again later today.
Cheers.
I don't disagree, but am simply adding an additional observation and something else to check. When I begin to look at a problem, I will look at any and all possibles, and don't exclude anything just because other possibilities are also valid. I think of ways to prove each either does or does not contribute to the problem.
04-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That actually makes me curious...anyone have a K7 w/ the grip? Set the grip's dials to a halfway position and see if the camera's dials still work.
This was a fairly well known bug in the K10D/K20D grip...
04-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Will,
I had the same thing happen to me. Rear dial on the k20d and front dial on the k-7: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/74934-anyone-else-...k-7-dials.html

I agree that things DO break, but in my case, it seems things broke soon after I got them, or came broken. The e-dial problems I had were not due to the grip.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 04-13-2010 at 09:09 AM.
04-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
That actually makes me curious...anyone have a K7 w/ the grip? Set the grip's dials to a halfway position and see if the camera's dials still work.
This was a fairly well known bug in the K10D/K20D grip...
I've had this happen on my K20 & once I learned about the grip and wheels between notches I haven't noticed it. I do think there's an undocumented "feature" with the scroll wheels.
04-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I've had this happen on my K20 & once I learned about the grip and wheels between notches I haven't noticed it. I do think there's an undocumented "feature" with the scroll wheels.
OK guys,
I have checked the camera and have reproduced the fault by stopping the grip wheel between notches. It can also be vice versa, i.e. move the main rear wheel between notches and then the grip rear wheel doesn't work. The same 'problem' occurs in the front wheels as well!
Relief, my camera is not broken