Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Any reason to not upgrade to a K-x from K2000?

I have a k2000 now and want the better iso performance, the higher mp and video dont hurt either. I dont mind selling my camera for less and cover the difference to buy a K-X but is there any reason not to upgrade? Is the K-x pretty much the K2000 except better is most all aspects? I read that the K-x doesn't take great RAW shots? On DP review it got a lower rating in that area than the k2000 so I was kinda confused by that. Any advice would help. Thank you.

04-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
I have a k2000 now and want the better iso performance, the higher mp and video dont hurt either. I dont mind selling my camera for less and cover the difference to buy a K-X but is there any reason not to upgrade? Is the K-x pretty much the K2000 except better is most all aspects? I read that the K-x doesn't take great RAW shots? On DP review it got a lower rating in that area than the k2000 so I was kinda confused by that. Any advice would help. Thank you.
What you said is true, the Kx is almost the same camera as the K2000 but better in everyway. CMOS sensor vs CCD that right there is enough reason to upgrade and as for the RAW I can't speak for the K2000 since I have never owned it but the RAW shots on my Kx are everything I could want. CA, lighting, shading, pretty much everything is very easily correctable using photoshop and the quality is amazing.
04-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
My wife and I went from a K2000 to K-x, and while the K2000 was a nice little dSLR, the K-x is just a little more in a lot of ways. And it's those little ways that make it a special camera. I've been very happy with the IQ of both - I'm not a pixel peeper, though. The high ISO performance of the K-x gets much of the press, and deservedly so, but if you make the switch, here are some other things you might notice:

1 - focus points still aren't on the VF but there are more and more options to select them.

2 - the Info screens are much better - both in terms of what is displayed and what can be quickly modified. The INFO screens are so good that you barely miss the top LCD and the dual E-dials of the bigger bodies (K-7, K20d, etc...)

3 - video, of course, is fun to have. No manual controls, but still quite servicable. If you get serious, you'll have to really learn how to manual focus...

4 - you can get one in Red ;-)

HTH...jmf
04-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You dont' have enough money?

04-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They're basically the same camera, except one of them has a little x on the front instead of a 2000. But seriously I went through the same thing as you, except with the Canon Rebel series, and I learned something important, it's not going to make you happier even though you think all those extra things will. They won't.
04-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Depends on how much you like buttons, but, obviously, you won't get switches for AF-point, AE-zones etc, in addition to the extra control wheel.
(Changing settings more easily was the main reason I got my K20D as a replacement for the K100D, and it remains.)
04-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #7

The K-x has the same body of K-2000 and the difference is only inside, because the K-x is better anyway than K-2000. The raw photos form K-x have also a good quality, I think if you buy it, you have a really new camera, fast with many new features.
04-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-m/K2000 is quieter if I am not mistake. The K-x has been said to be rather loud. Some K-x might also suffer from vibration issue. In return, you will gain higher iso performance, video and 11 point AF.

04-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

See, the thing is that I wanted to go from the Canon Rebel XTi to the Canon Rebel XSi because it had live view, which I thought I would use a lot, and it had a larger LCD, which I also thought I would use a lot, and a few other more minor features. Turns out I never really used them at all, and I went back to the XTi. I just don't want you to have to go through the same thing. They're essentially the same camera, just like in my example, so I know what I'm talking about here.
04-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
how much can you fetch for the k2000?
04-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That is another big thing too, he might be underestimating how much the K-m has gone down in price. It's hard to find one used over $300 now for the entire kit, the K-x is considerably more just for the body too.
04-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I went from a k-m/k2000 to a k-x. The k-x has a much better sensor, imho. I believe it is the same one as in the Nikon D90 and it is particularly good at higher ISO. There are also a lot of other nice touches and upgradings, with the addition of live view and movie mode neither of which I have ever used. I shoot raw and the result on the k-x is superior images to work with (dependent as always on the skill of the person behind the lens).

OTOH, while I loved the k-m I find the k-x quite hard to really like. The build quality feels cheap and the shutter has a loud clanky sound (and which seems to be causing problems with "mirror slap" for a significant minority). The first k-x I bought failed completely within two days and had to be replaced. My k-x also eats rechargeables compared to my k-m (according to the battery meter, at least), producing probably only half to two-thirds the number of shots

Would I buy the k-x again? No, I think I would save up and go for a k-7. While its specs are excellent on paper, the k-x has, for me, the feeling of something a little flimsy and I find it a difficult camera to trust. Yes it's fun but I don't think it is made to last, though this may also apply to any other DSLR in its price range.