Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #1

if i buy a new k-x ..

would the new ones have the updated firmware or i would have to do it myself?

thanks in advance.

04-12-2010, 03:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
depends on where you get it from... if you get new and it is a new lot number, it could be updated, if you get gently used, it could be done and you'd save some cash. Or if you get new, and it is from a old lot, than no it is not done. you best bet is to ask the people you are buying it from.
04-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My dealer offers me to update my cameras (free of charge). Don't see why your dealer can't provide the same service.
04-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think if you do it through BH or Adorama that they'll probably give you the most updated version (some websites also list what firmware the camera that you're getting comes with), but it's not that hard to do it yourself, it really only takes a minute or two.

04-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

When I ordered my K20D from B&H it came with the latest firmware installed. However, I'm not sure it's that way with every camera that comes from them.
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nonetheless, it is easy to do a firmware update. Very little chance of harm and the instructions are straight-forward. Be happy!
04-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #7

I received a new Kx for my birthday in February and the latest firmware was not updated. Regardless, the process for upgrading is VERY easy. I'm new to DSLR cameras and I was still able to upgrade the firmware by following the simple instructions.

04-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The process of updating might be easy but it is still kinda of issue since what you are actually fixing is the battery issue.
Even if you have a fully charged battery and the old firmware reads it as dropping prematurely then this might happen during the firmware upgrade itself..and you wouldn't want this to happen.
If the battery dies during the update, then you brick your camera.
It is better to connect it to an AC adapter or to be safer, buy one already updated or get the seller to update it for you.
If it was not a battery issue, then I would say that updating would be real easy.
04-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #9

I just got mine a week ago from B&H and it was not updated. I installed the new batteries and did the upgrade according to the direction on the website. There really isn't anything to it. I am still using those same batteries and I over 1100 shots on them.

So I wouldn't sweat the update.
04-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You can check the firmware by holding down the "menu" button while turning on the camera. The old version is v1.0 and I believe there are a few new versions. You can read more about the new firmwares on the link below

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/97149-new-k-x-firmware.html
04-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
The process of updating might be easy but it is still kinda of issue since what you are actually fixing is the battery issue.
Even if you have a fully charged battery and the old firmware reads it as dropping prematurely then this might happen during the firmware upgrade itself..and you wouldn't want this to happen.
I don't have the details of the software so can not be sure but I doubt very much that normal camera functionality (read in this case: battery check) is 'available' while the upgrade is in process.
04-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I don't have the details of the software so can not be sure but I doubt very much that normal camera functionality (read in this case: battery check) is 'available' while the upgrade is in process.
It is not just a battery check as I have read.
The camera suddenly drops in power even with a new battery.
I know this was also an issue with some other past models and they had to address it with a firmware upgrade.
I have actually read horror stories here on the forum that their K-x just suddenly died during the firmware update.
So, to be on the safe side since the OP is still buying his and had not actually have it on his hands yet, he can simply ask the seller to update the firmware to avoid the treat, albeit small, of the K-x dying on him during the firmware update.
Having the seller do it would be so much easier.
04-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
It is not just a battery check as I have read.
The camera suddenly drops in power even with a new battery.
I know this was also an issue with some other past models and they had to address it with a firmware upgrade.
I have actually read horror stories here on the forum that their K-x just suddenly died during the firmware update.
So, to be on the safe side since the OP is still buying his and had not actually have it on his hands yet, he can simply ask the seller to update the firmware to avoid the treat, albeit small, of the K-x dying on him during the firmware update.
Having the seller do it would be so much easier.
actually i have bought one. My friend is comming from Canada and he has already bought one for me. His flight for Pakistan is in a day.

Another Question, does this kit lens come with the hood?
04-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by techmulla Quote
actually i have bought one. My friend is comming from Canada and he has already bought one for me. His flight for Pakistan is in a day.

Another Question, does this kit lens come with the hood?
Sorry but it does not.
04-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Sorry but it does not.
Well they have really changed things then. it used to be that the package was literally the box for the body and the box for the lens taped together, so you got everything you normally would with the lens. I guess they are now trying to save money on these little (but important) things.