Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I agree thi is one of the stranger threads I can recall. By this logic, the more bugs in a camera on initial release, thus requiring more firmward updates, the better? I don't get it. If the camera works as is, why do you need new firmware? Support is fixing things that aren't right - but there's nothing wrong with the K200D.
So the only reason for an update of firmware or software is if there are bugs in it . . .

04-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #62
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How about the ability to turn SDM on and off?
Well, that's one. Please list the Pentax DSLRs that provide the option.

EDIT: ...not Peter Zack's fried one.
04-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Well, that's one. Please list the Pentax DSLRs that provide the option.

EDIT: ...not Peter Zack's fried one.
Why shouldn't they do it on all of them that supports SDM?
04-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So the only reason for an update of firmware or software is if there are bugs in it . . .
Yes. Unless there is plan for a new feature introduction. Which was the case of the K200D and the K100D Super. Feature set was frozen and there were no issues with the camera that effected image output/capture.

04-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K200D works great for me. I purchased it from the Marketplace from a fellow Pentaxian last year. I think it was money well spent.

(Of course, I just picked up a K20D from another Pentax user - for less than I got the K200D!).
04-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #66
emr

Why shouldn't they do it on all of them that supports SDM?
Of course, they should. But if this thread is about how they according to the OP "abandoned" the K200D users, so the non-existant SDM on/off option is not relevant as no model has it.
04-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Yes. Unless there is plan for a new feature introduction. Which was the case of the K200D and the K100D Super. Feature set was frozen and there were no issues with the camera that effected image output/capture.
I guess you did not read the batter example I gave.
04-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #68
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Of course, they should. But if this thread is about how they according to the OP "abandoned" the K200D users, so the non-existant SDM on/off option is not relevant as no model has it.
That's kind of the point though. Pentax does abandon ALL of their stuff. If they want to cultivate the "image" of making cheap disposable crap, that's good strategy.

04-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #69
Site Supporter

Another firmware update that would have been very useful would have been an interface for the computer software (Remote Assistant). An additional one would have been potential af adjustment.
04-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Well, no, but I'd say any other firmware updates are free bonuses, not to be expected. And failure to get such free bonuses is one of the oddest reason I can think of to switch camera systems.

I can actually think of quite a few improvements I'd have loved to have seen (an easier way of changing ISO would be highest on my list, and I once proposed an idea for how that could be done given the exiting control structure). But I bought the camera I bought with the features it had, and I don't particularly see why I or anyone else should expect anything beyond that. While companies do release updates to add features occasionally, it's really not that common a thing. Mostly when it happens it's to allow the camera to take advantage of new technologies (support for new card formats, etc). Switching systems over this seems likely to set oneself up for major disappointment.
04-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Well, no, but I'd say any other firmware updates are free bonuses, not to be expected. And failure to get such free bonuses is one of the oddest reason I can think of to switch camera systems.

I can actually think of quite a few improvements I'd have loved to have seen (an easier way of changing ISO would be highest on my list, and I once proposed an idea for how that could be done given the exiting control structure). But I bought the camera I bought with the features it had, and I don't particularly see why I or anyone else should expect anything beyond that. While companies do release updates to add features occasionally, it's really not that common a thing. Mostly when it happens it's to allow the camera to take advantage of new technologies (support for new card formats, etc). Switching systems over this seems likely to set oneself up for major disappointment.
I agree that it is an odd reason to switch platforms, completely. The K200d is my general use body because it is so reliable. However, my comments were more directed at people that thinks its silly for people to want firmware enhancements. That said, I think the K200d is the most underrated Pentax dSLR of all time.
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #72
Veteran Member

I guess we have different definitions of firmware updates vs feature requests. Everything you pointed out Blue is what I would consider a feature request. Basically something that isn't included in the stated feature set of a piece of hardware/software. Firmware updates provide fixes for inherent problems with the operation of the device due to firmware.
04-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #73
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I guess we have different definitions of firmware updates vs feature requests. Everything you pointed out Blue is what I would consider a feature request. Basically something that isn't included in the stated feature set of a piece of hardware/software. Firmware updates provide fixes for inherent problems with the operation of the device due to firmware.
The battery indicator example wasn't a feature update. Currently, the power indicator essentially mean active, imminently dead, and dead. It's not so radical with the lithium batteries. Fortunately, I have had pretty good luck with the kodak rechargeable batteries holding up.

Firmware updates may be used to fix problems, but that's not the only way they can and have been used in the past.

Edit: Maybe Pentax should "Dare to Be Different."

Here's an example: http://www.dcviews.com/press/olympus-e-p1-2.htm

Last edited by Blue; 04-14-2010 at 01:12 PM.
04-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I understand where you are coming from. There are also limitations of hardware to consider for some of these things. I'm not sure if you are referring to the top LCD battery indicator or not but that display seems to only have those states as the possible states to display. Even if it did have a graduated display something like that would require more coding. Which in itself isn't the issue, however the size of the memory in the camera housing the firmware may be. Typically on-board memory space allocated for firmware is a small, finite number. So even if you could code new features into the firmware you may not have the space to house them without sacrificing another feature for the space.
04-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I don't think that the K200D is the only camera that has ever been abandoned, though.

Remember the Canon 10D, anyone? The first XXD series camera (for those of you who don't) that only supported the EF mount, and not the newer EF-s mount that the first Rebel had.

When the 20D came out, everyone totally forgot about this awesome little camera mostly because of it's speed and because it didn't have the different mount.