Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Blue,

First off, do you have a problem with the K200d..? If not, don't bother to update firmware. If in doubt, don't.

As listed in the Pentax support site, this firmware fixes some stability problems (unspecific) with SDHC cards. If you have to update read the "readme.txt" file thoroughly before attempting, and make sure you have new or fully charged batteries. You also need a 32GB SDHC card. The "route" (sic) directory is the "root" of the SD card used for firmware update, and you need to copy a file called "fwdc184b.bin" to this blank SD card, then follow the instructions in "readme.txt" file to start-up firmware update on the camera.

Cheers
Kevin

04-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Hi Blue,

First off, do you have a problem with the K200d..? If not, don't bother to update firmware. If in doubt, don't.

As listed in the Pentax support site, this firmware fixes some stability problems (unspecific) with SDHC cards. If you have to update read the "readme.txt" file thoroughly before attempting, and make sure you have new or fully charged batteries. You also need a 32GB SDHC card. The "route" (sic) directory is the "root" of the SD card used for firmware update, and you need to copy a file called "fwdc184b.bin" to this blank SD card, then follow the instructions in "readme.txt" file to start-up firmware update on the camera.

Cheers
Kevin
Since I use SanDisk cards and don't have any issues, I'm not going to do it then. Thanks Kevin. (The Same goes for my K20d.)
04-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #108
MGV

You do not need a 32 GB card, you need a card with 32 MB free.
04-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Come back....all is forgiven....Pentax have listen to your plea, and a firmware update awaits you...

Latest K200D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
Should be up to 32GB per compliance with specification for SDHC. I have used 8GB routinely. Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
KevinR
Remarkable really - we've had the original firmware version for 2 years+ and the only change is apparently to deal with newer technology specs for storage. Not a bad run really.

Cheers

06-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #110

I'm hoping the next firmware update adds LiveView & Video features to the K200D!
.-.-.
06-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Not only could the batts be hard to replace, but traveling means a multiplicity of chargers and adapters. ...
On my last week long trip back east I shot over 500 frames, and I was a little nervous, as I decided to just take three batteries for my K10D. I shouldn't have worried at all, as I only used one of the batteries. I even continued to use it for a month after my return! The one that I used was my $10 eBay "minolta" battery - cheaper than 4 Eneloops, and much easier to carry!
06-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
On my last week long trip back east I shot over 500 frames, and I was a little nervous, as I decided to just take three batteries for my K10D. I shouldn't have worried at all, as I only used one of the batteries. I even continued to use it for a month after my return! The one that I used was my $10 eBay "minolta" battery - cheaper than 4 Eneloops, and much easier to carry!
Personally I can't stand custom Li-Ion batteries.

The universal availability of AA's was a major buying point for me with the K200D.

Any upgrade I invest in would also have to use AA's as the main power source.

Current LSD AA chemistry is great. I've had the same set of batteries in my camera for over a month so far and they still aren't flat.

Loose individual cells are an advantage too.
With a decent charger you can even analise and match capacities on a per cell basis.
Rotating cell positions also helps to stop end cell damage typical in series linked custom battery packs.

But the AA / Li-Ion debate has gone on for a long time now.
There is no reason why a camera can't take both.
With intelligent voltage sensing one could use any AA sized battery chemistry in a device.
They already do this in some LED based tactical torches.

.-.-.

06-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I dont feel abandoned at all, my k200d functions pefect in every way and have never had a problem with it

Why fix something that isnt broken?
Same here, we've owned one since they were announced and it served us well(11K shutters).. dropped it a few time, got it wet, overheated in the hot sun in our car(wouldn't work, cooled it down... all is good). All in all, it's been more than dependable.

So no feelings of abandonment for us...