Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #76

My K200D is a everyday workhorse, has seen some rough situations. Last summer a can of beer got punctured in a party related accident and beer was spraying everywhere, people freaked out about my camera that got quite wet. Just wiped it clean and continued shooting, never had a problem. Only thing that isn't that good is the AF and that should have calibration straight in the camera.

I think it's so good camera that I don't have any reason to upgrade in the current pentax line.

04-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #77

K200D has:
- slow AF in dark
- very much noise @ high ISO or ISO 100 & 15 sec in dark
- not very accurate flash system

I am considering to move to Nikon.
04-15-2010, 05:39 AM   #78

Photos: Gallery
I don't feel abandoned at all. Pentax still has all of the manuals and literatue available on-line. Apparently there is no need for a firmware update. My K200D works great! Like all things electronic the move is usually to bigger and better things with more bells and whistles. I'll move on eventually too, but until I do I am enjoying my K200D way more than I did my *istDL!
04-15-2010, 05:40 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gigake Quote
K200D has:
- slow AF in dark

Or you could consider the K-7 and keep your current system investment. you could also realise that Pentax relies more upon you, as the photographer, to decide when to remove noise etc. Unless you have unrealistic expectations, or don't mind blurred details, I can't see it being a problem.

Nikon does indeed have a better flash system however. If that is a primary feature you must have, then go for it.

04-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
m.

Nikon does indeed have a better flash system however. If that is a primary feature you must have, then go for it.
Get a Metz 48 flash. The k200d has wireless flash control built-in which works well with the Metz 48. To get built-in wireless flash on a Nikon you have to pay a bunch more. Plus the k200d is weather-sealed.

Pop-up flashes suck in general, regardless of brand. Get a Shoe-mount flash and get it off of the camera. If you take the flash off the camera you'll get better photos.
04-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #81
Pentaxian

How about the K200D owners post their 'setup'? Particularly the 'Custom menu' setup.
I keep fiddling with mine to get a good one. So, when i end up with some bad photos, I don't know if my setup is bad or was it just low light/hand shake or such.
Thanks
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ill try...

I run AF.S
select AF point
centerweighted metering
RAW+
PEF
AdobeRGB

Instant Playback I have a histogram and the highlighted dark/bright area
regular playback display I dont have anything

I have beep turned off
everything else on setup is default

than my custom settings go as follows:

04-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #83

Mine "Custom Setting" are--

Cheers!
04-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #84
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krmitchell1055 Quote
I don't feel abandoned at all. Pentax still has all of the manuals and literatue available on-line. Apparently there is no need for a firmware update. My K200D works great! Like all things electronic the move is usually to bigger and better things with more bells and whistles. I'll move on eventually too, but until I do I am enjoying my K200D way more than I did my *istDL!
Hey, another Chickendale Pentaxian . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by gigake Quote
K200D has:
- slow AF in dark

But you just got here . . .
04-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I don't own a K200d, so I can't feel abandoned, and I really like my K-x. I do wish that Pentax had not abandoned the concept of a prosumer-oriented body that runs on AA batts. At KEH, a used K200d brings $450. On Ebay, the price of a K200d averages more than a K10d, which was supposed to be the upgrade. That may say something about the K10d, but I think it says more about what the market thought of the concept of the K200d.
04-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #86
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I don't own a K200d, so I can't feel abandoned, and I really like my K-x. I do wish that Pentax had not abandoned the concept of a prosumer-oriented body that runs on AA batts. At KEH, a used K200d brings $450. On Ebay, the price of a K200d averages more than a K10d, which was supposed to be the upgrade. That may say something about the K10d, but I think it says more about what the market thought of the concept of the K200d.
One of the things that happens in a body review that runs on AA is that if the reveiwer doesn't like AA, then it takes a hit in the review regardless. They seem to like proprietary batteries that could be problematic to replace in a couple of years.
04-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
One of the things that happens in a body review that runs on AA is that if the reveiwer doesn't like AA, then it takes a hit in the review regardless. They seem to like proprietary batteries that could be problematic to replace in a couple of years.
Not only could the batts be hard to replace, but traveling means a multiplicity of chargers and adapters. I have gotten to the point where I even carry a cheap electric shaver because it takes AA batteries and eliminates one more cord.

An alternative would be adapters that let the proprietary camera batteries charge on USB, so that they could use the phone charger. A phone, GPS or other device that can't take AA because of its size, but charges on USB has a leg up in my purchase decision.
04-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #88
Veteran Member

I agree, having the ability to use AA's is fantastic. One of the smartest things Pentax did was make the K-7's battery grip come with a seperate AA tray. I have purchased the K-7 from J&R (sadly its out of stock but they said they would recognize the free 18-55mm when they ship it. Total comes out to 850ish + free kit lens) and am super stoked The fact that all my rechargeable batteries from my K200d work in the battery grip is amazing. It will be my next purchase for sure (now whether to buy the original or chines copy? hmmmm)
04-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #89

Yes, AA's rock!

Please Pentax bring out a K200D replacement with AA's, Pentaprism, Liveview. and video.

.-.-.
04-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #90
Inactive Account

Pentax abandoned K2oo users...

Untl I purchased a K20 I was a staunch Leica user. My rangfinder was made 30 years ago and my SLR about the same. The lenses are at least 20+ years and are absolutely fantastic to use. I feel in love with my K20 also outdated. Leica has dropped all production on their R series equipment and have abandoned those users in faver of a $28,000 S series digital with a starting price for a standard lens at $5,000+

Pentax IMHO has not abandoned it clientel, in fact has tried and suceeded in producing quality equipment and optics that rival the best. Yes there is a definite something to leica images and I still use the equipment.

I am an Audiologist by trade and the hearing aid industry upgrades and introduces new digital aids on a quarterly basis-that's just the nature of digital technology and hearing aids. Digital cameras are no different. Despite my love of leica equipment my K20 will only leave my cold dead hands ....or maybe for a K7