Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It looks like Elvis has left the building on this one...
I thought that too - after 44 posts you'd think we'd at least get a bar or two of All Shook Up Must be busy buying some Blue Suede Shoes......'

Cheers

04-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #47
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

If the K200D were still in production, would that make the one you have work any better?
04-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I agree thi is one of the stranger threads I can recall. By this logic, the more bugs in a camera on initial release, thus requiring more firmward updates, the better? I don't get it. If the camera works as is, why do you need new firmware? Support is fixing things that aren't right - but there's nothing wrong with the K200D.
04-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My k200d worked right out of the box...the way it should. That is a testament to it's quality. If (heaven forbid) the 30 year-old rumors of Pentax going out of business ever did come true, my K200d would still continue to shoot just fine.

...Unless of course Pentax comes out with a compelling FF body, in which case my k200d would be in desperate need of an upgrade

04-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #50

Far from being abandoned, I bought my K200D brand new only last December 2009. It was on sale with two lens kit (18-55mm and 50-200mm). It was also the last one available, the store clerk said it was a left over from their last shipment and there won’t be anymore coming. I knew this model was almost two years old at that time and have been superseded by later models from Pentax. But after reviewing the features and comparing it similar and later models from Canon and Nikon (which were very pricey) I thought (and still think) it’s a very good deal. I have no regrets. In fact I’m very happy with it.

Last edited by Banitess; 04-13-2010 at 01:44 AM.
04-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #51

i wouldn't mind a copy of the firmware.. i'm wondering if my problems with my own, dropped and subsequently repaired, K200D, could be fixed with a reflash of the firmware..

it seems to have trouble focusing under 70mm with any lens except my K7's 18-55WR... and apart from being well out of warranty (and me being poor), i don't exactly trust CRK....

Otherwise, i can't see the need for updated firmware either..
04-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The *istDS was (and still is) a solid camera and supports TTL flash. The K100D and -DS added some necessary technical upgrades but never did more for me than to show where Pentax digital gear was potentially going.

But the K200D simply fits my needs and hands so well I've accumulated four bodies and hope they last me as long as my SP, M- and P-bodies have. Not one instance of problems with any of these four K200D DSLR's. No firmware fixes needed. My biggest problem is keeping the few functions and options I do use syncronized so I can treat them as one identical tool. And every one of 'em provides SR with the oldest Super Tak's on the shelf.

My goal is to still be using at least one of 'em 15-20 years in the future but being electronic devices I don't expect their longevity will match the older film bodies or lenses. Two of 'em see minimal use to prolong mechanical life although I don't expect that to have the same sort of benefits for electronics.

[ As a side note, all those metal-clad film bodies show honest dints, dings and bag-rash but the "plastic" bodies all show very little signs of normal wear. And I've never had a mechanical problem (that wasn't of my own making) with any Pentax SLR or DSLR body or lens in 40+ years -- yet. I've yet to feel the need for an SDM lens though.]

H2

04-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #53

Original Poster
I couldn't sell her! I'm just too attached to the poor thing! I must take her out more now that I decided to keep her.
04-14-2010, 04:07 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Dunno if this has been pointed out yet... but well... this tells enough of the tale...

These camera's have reached their end of life... and are no longer being produced... so they don't need to support it or whatever.
04-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
These camera's have reached their end of life...
OMG, I have to bury my K20Ds?! But wait--they're working just fine--there must be some defect in Pentax's product termination system.
04-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
But the K200D simply fits my needs and hands so well I've accumulated four bodies and hope they last me as long as my SP, M- and P-bodies have.
You have four K200D? That is certainly dedication!

But as to the original topic: Unlike some, I understand where the OP is coming from. I think it would be great if Pentax was more pro-active with firmware updates, and had a clear policy about them. While some expect them only to address bug fixes, others might expect that features could be added through the life of the camera. I believe one's expectations are driven by what one has experienced in other technology fields.

It is indeed unfortunate that the sales and support life of a camera body is so short. But as many have stated, that does not mean the camera immediately becomes unusable. But wouldn't it be great if Pentax continued firmware support past that date, as a sign that they understand the commitment their purchasers have made?
04-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #57
Veteran Member

In all seriousness it seems that Pentax basically drew a line in the sand and said as long as there are no "bugs" in the hardware/firmware of the camera at GA they would not do any sustaining/continuation engineering on the camera. Feature requests/creep only add to the potential of a stable platform to become unstable. Those requests are typically moved into the next platform while still in R&D to give it time to stablize before GA release.
04-14-2010, 06:02 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
OMG, I have to bury my K20Ds?! But wait--they're working just fine--there must be some defect in Pentax's product termination system.
Nah, we just own zombie-K20D's...
04-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #59

K200d

It seems to me that the camera works well, not too sure why we would need a firmware upgrade - what would that achieve?

The camera has always been terrific value and an excellent performer..
04-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #60
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I don't really understand your problem. If your camera is working fine, should Pentax release a new firmware just for the pleasure of updating? And as Rondec posted, DSLRs have a product life and they get replaced by new ones.

???
How about the ability to turn SDM on and off?

Edit: The battery monitoring cold have certainly been improved. It generally goes from max, to beyond halfway to slam down.

Last edited by Blue; 04-14-2010 at 08:36 AM.