Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 03:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Abandoned K200D Users...

I feel as if Pentax abandoned all of us K200D adopters. No firmware updates and a teeny product lifetime. You haven't been able to buy the K200D new for months now. I feel like I bought a product expecting support and updates and instead Pentax just dumped us.

I am currently selling, what I feel is my outdated K200D in favor of another system from another manufacturer who may give us the support we deserve.

Anyone else feel this way about their K200D?

04-12-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by usapatriot Quote
I feel as if Pentax abandoned all of us K200D adopters. No firmware updates and a teeny product lifetime. You haven't been able to buy the K200D new for months now. I feel like I bought a product expecting support and updates and instead Pentax just dumped us.

I am currently selling, what I feel is my outdated K200D in favor of another system from another manufacturer who may give us the support we deserve.

Pentax in general fixes bugs with their firmware -- seldom adds functionality (the one exception was adding SDM support to the K10 after the fact). As far as I can tell, the K200 was one of the few cameras that didn't have any bugs to speak of. Probably because it was a cheaper version of the K10 and the bugs had been worked through with it.

I am not sure what functionality you are looking for to add. You'll find that most companies don't release a lot of firmware up dates for their lower end cameras. Also, product life for cameras is between 12 and 18 months. That is just the way dSLRs are sold.
04-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
emr

I don't really understand your problem. If your camera is working fine, should Pentax release a new firmware just for the pleasure of updating? And as Rondec posted, DSLRs have a product life and they get replaced by new ones.

???
04-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's kind of a funny way of seeing things. Pentax "abandoned" my MX a long time ago, I bought it long after that, and I'm extremely happy to have it.
If the camera works as needed, go shoot pictures.

04-12-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm mystified. So Pentax no longer offers the K200D new: why does that matter? Your K200D may be outmoded (the pace of technological advancement is pretty rapid these days) but, in the absence of any specific complaint, I gather that it continues to deliver all advertised functionality. Were you expecting Pentax to deliver enhanced functionality via firmware? If so, I think that's unrealistic (with regard to any system.)
04-12-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I dont feel abandoned at all, my k200d functions pefect in every way and have never had a problem with it

Why fix something that isnt broken?
04-12-2010, 05:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Enjoy your new camera. I hope the manufacturer of it has a slow enough product change over for you.
04-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hopefully your new camera will need a load of firmware updates and you will be very happy with it. Of course this would mean the camera has a load of bugs in the firmware to start with.

04-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

dont really see a problem with the K200D.

Its the K20D being left hanging is whats infuriating a lot of people.
04-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Its the K20D being left hanging is whats infuriating a lot of people.
How has the K20D been "left hanging"?
04-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a K100D. I don't think it's outdated at all. I put on a lens, set the shutter speed, set the aperture, compose the shot, and press the shutter button. More often than not, the result is a beautiful photograph which is, after all, the point. And when the result is not a beautiful photograph, the limiting factor is more likely to be my modest skills as a photographer than the camera body.

So from my perspective, assuming your camera body is not defective, I don't really see where your problem lies. What, precisely, is the support you deserve that you don't think you're getting?
04-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Manufacturers are not obligated to support anything. Especially when it seems there is nothing to do.

Bye...
04-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You think that is bad? I have a K100DS and it has NEVER had a firmware update released for it. And after 12K+ shutter actuations it is still working with the lenses I have! I cannot believe........ that my amazing camera is still producing great images despite it's age, lack of firmware updates and being 2 generations removed from the feature set of the current bodies.
04-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I think the OP looks for an excuse to chance systems

there are many advantages for the different systems available out there but I don't think better firmware support is one of them
04-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by usapatriot Quote

From the time the K200D was released to the time ready availability dried up was around 20 months. This is pretty typical in the world of consumer DSLR.

I think the fact that there have been no updates (and I'm not sure what you mean by "product support") indicates to me that you look at your camera as more of an electronic gadget than a tool. I wonder if other DSLR users feel that way.

Perhaps there were no updates because the K200D was based on camera technology that Pentax had already massaged to a very fine level?