Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I was just thinking... perhaps the OP is slight of frame, or suffers from tendinitis or some other malady that would make him very sensitive to weight... or maybe he simply likes to travel really light! (I do, too.)

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
If 2 ounces of weight are going to challenge anyone, I would really suggest switching camera formats.

TWO OUNCES!?'

04-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
If 2 ounces of weight are going to challenge anyone, I would really suggest switching camera formats.

TWO OUNCES!?'
Don't be silly. 2 oz is approximately 10% of the camera weight. That's significant relative the the entire camera weight.

Also, the broader implication is that if you carry replacement batteries (which most of us will do inevitably), the additional weight is 4 oz overall: 4 oz in camera + 4 oz replacements, as opposed to 2 oz in camera + 2 oz replacements. The potential weight savings is around 15%, which is even more significant.

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I was just thinking... perhaps the OP is slight of frame, or suffers from tendinitis or some other malady that would make him very sensitive to weight... or maybe he simply likes to travel really light! (I do, too.)

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
I like to travel light, but I have no problems carrying the additional weight. This is only an exercise in optimization.
04-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OutOfFocus Quote
You need about 5 to 6 volts and the ability to supply over one amp of current at that voltage. If you reduce capacity, the voltage will sag more under load, so you'll get less half the number of shots from half the battery capacity (probably a lot less).

Forget alkalines. You won't get any reasonable number of shots from them. They're for emergency use only.

If you're only concerned about weight, use Lithiums. AA Energizer Ultimate Lithiums are 14.5 grams each, or 58 grams for four. This saves 50 grams (1.8 ounces) over Eneloops.

If you want rechargeable, use Eneloops. AA Eneloops weigh 27 grams (108 grams for four).

If you really, really want rechargeable and less weight, here are two things you could try. First, Sanyo make a battery called Harmolattice which is a low cost, half capacity version of the Eneloop. It only weighs 19 grams apiece (76 grams for four), so not as light as the lithiums but rechargeable. I have no idea how well the voltage would hold up, and you'd save less than an ounce over Eneloops. They might also be hard to buy. A second possibility would be to use three PowerGenix NiZn AA batteries and a spacer. Nominal 1.65 volts per cell by three = 4.95 volts. Weight is 25 grams each by three = 75 grams, plus the weight of the spacer, making total weight savings less than an ounce.

Your post is very informative. The half capacity Eneloop's sound very interesting, as is your second idea about the PowerGenix.

I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks for the information.
04-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shahmatt Quote
I like to travel light, but I have no problems carrying the additional weight. This is only an exercise in optimization.
Hikers and backpackers do this. They do things like cut down toothbrush handles and replace their stainless steel eating utensils with Titanium ones.

04-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well yes, but lets not get too extreme.