Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Popular Photography (May 2010) Cover Page - Pentax K-X

Pentax K-X The Beginner's Bargain DSLR Just Got Better (Full Test p.69) [This appears on the lower left corner of the cover]

"DSLR Test

Student Teacher
Pentax's least expensive DSLR delivers HD video, live view, and ISO 6400 at a great price"

It was compared against Canon XS and Nikon D3000.

At low ISO the competition is better in regards to noise. At high ISOs K-x shined. At 6400, K-x is better than D3200 at 3200.

In bright light K-x AF is as good or faster than the competition. (Whoa!) In low light it was slower but was within 0.6 sec.

Excellent color accuracy.

SR gives 1.5 stops. SR should have own switch.

Video is as good as that from other DSLRs.

Last edited by jhaji; 04-12-2010 at 08:09 AM.
04-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There have been a few threads that cover this already, I thought the review was pretty favorable to the K-x. It is an honest review, after all.
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yea, I also saw this article and I believe it was very fair. It is good to see pentax finally getting the recognition it deserves.
04-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
SR gives 1.5 stops? Is that accurate? I feel it is more. Also, Pentax advertises 4 stops down with SR.

04-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is a thread on this over at the Pentax News and Rumors section

Pentax K-X in May "Popular Photography"

PopPhoto.com has now got a link up to this review:

Camera Test: Pentax K-x

but does not include their very useful/vital(?) test results panel

To me the review is a fair (operative word) review - but lukewarm-ish
it is definitely not the enthusiastic one we'd hope for -
and to me kind of "damning by faint praise"

For noise which according to many other reviews is outstanding on the K-x -
gets positive review but hardly showing how good the High ISO results can be
(mainly because of the two cameras used for comparison the Canon Xs 10Mp and Nikon D3000 10Mp -
neither of which are anything special or quality benchmark to compare to
- other than the obvious "similar" prices -
so even the resolution results are kind of wishy-washy since the 12Mp K-x is compared to 10mp cameras that actually come close....

" Noise suppression wasn’t terribly impressive at the lower end of its ISO range (both the Canon and Nikon beat it through ISO 400). But at its highest ISOs, the K-x shined: At ISO 800 through 1600 (the Canon’s highest sensitivity), the Pentax edged ahead of the Nikon. While they both got Unacceptable ratings at ISO 3200, the Pentax showed significantly less noise (3.2) than the Nikon (5.5). And at ISO 6400—a sensitivity the Nikon doesn’t reach—it still did better than the D3000 did at ISO 3200. "

Perhaps it would have been useful if they could have just mentioned the K-x noise compared to the Nikon D90, D5000 and Canon T1i?

Here's their comments on the AF:

" The K-x’s autofocus tested well, too, with very strong performance in brighter light. At EV 12 through EV 6, it was equal to or faster than the two competitors. Though its AF was slower than the Canon and Nikon in dimmer light, it remained within 0.6 seconds of them even at its worst. The K-x’s 11-point AF system offers a real improvement over the five-point system found in its predecessor, the K2000. It focused about 0.4 sec faster on average in the light levels below EV 4 in our lab tests. Plus, nine of the K-x’s AF sensors are cross-types concentrated in the center portion of the frame, for better sensitivity in both the horizontal and vertical planes. "

Notice no comments about the lack of AF overlay indicators.....

their test results panel :

This was from a link I accidentally found
also titled: Camera Test: Pentax K-x
but shows only 5 images without review text.

Note the magazine cover is usually different on the newsstand to the subscribers' version.