Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #1

K-7:Rear e-dial not working correctly

Hello,

When exploring/learning some with my K-7 which I bought a few months ago but barely used so far, I noticed that the rear e-dial does not seem to work properly. I had not noticed this before. It randomly skips over several steps (ISO for example, skipping right from 200 to 600, for example, at other times not skipping at all) for each dial step ('click').
I've substituted rear/front e-dial in the custom settings to check if the front dial works correctly, and it does, no issues with it; it does not randomly skip steps.

I have installed the latest firmware and don't use a battery grip.

Will I have to send in the camera or does anyone have an idea how to possibly fix this?

Thanks!

04-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, it sounds like you might have to send it in to Pentax for repair. The rear e-dial on my K20D scrolls to something with every click unless I go really fast and it misses a few.
04-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

check the battery.

I deliberately pushed mine to the point where the battery was run down to almost depleated,

camera worked fine but when previewing images, and using the rear e-dail to zoom in, it would zoom in the entire way with one click

charging the battery fixed this no problem.

although it is somewhat unusual, they might have pushed the battery off threshold too far down to the poiint where some non vital IO begins to fail or become unreliable before the camera shuts down.
04-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bulacawa Quote
Hello,

When exploring/learning some with my K-7 which I bought a few months ago but barely used so far, I noticed that the rear e-dial does not seem to work properly. I had not noticed this before. It randomly skips over several steps (ISO for example, skipping right from 200 to 600, for example, at other times not skipping at all) for each dial step ('click').
I've substituted rear/front e-dial in the custom settings to check if the front dial works correctly, and it does, no issues with it; it does not randomly skip steps.

I have installed the latest firmware and don't use a battery grip.

Will I have to send in the camera or does anyone have an idea how to possibly fix this?

Thanks!
Unfortunately I had the exact same problem (I posted about it here a while back. Here is the link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/74934-anyone-else-...k-7-dials.html ) Some contact spray works for a while but it will come back. I talked to Pentax service about it at the time, and they said I would need to send the camera in for repairs.

Just one more episode in my long line of QC problems with modern Pentax cameras.

04-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How common is this problem with the k-7 rear dial?
Im hoping to upgrade to one soon.
05-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I just received a brand new K7 and I have the exact same problem with mine.

When in Av mode, the rear dial makes the aperture jump (randomly) around between f/16 and f/32... no problem when setting the aperture to be changed on the front dial.

This s*cks
05-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrik Kristensen Quote
I just received a brand new K7 and I have the exact same problem with mine.

When in Av mode, the rear dial makes the aperture jump (randomly) around between f/16 and f/32... no problem when setting the aperture to be changed on the front dial.

This s*cks
Just send to Pentax Service Center, they can get it fixed in 30min

05-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just send to Pentax Service Center, they can get it fixed in 30min
Yeah well it just s*cks that you have to send in a brand new camera... I think I will try and have the place where I bought it send me a replacement... either way I have to wait for it to get fixed...
05-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #9

UPDATE:

It helped A LOT once I updated the firmware from 1.0.0 to 1.0.3

Now it might skip a step (1/3 of a f-stop) sometimes, but not nearly as often as earlier - this I might live with, but the thought keep eating at me "what if the frequent problem returns, then only a trip to service will help"
05-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrik Kristensen Quote
UPDATE:

It helped A LOT once I updated the firmware from 1.0.0 to 1.0.3

Now it might skip a step (1/3 of a f-stop) sometimes, but not nearly as often as earlier - this I might live with, but the thought keep eating at me "what if the frequent problem returns, then only a trip to service will help"

This was supposed to be one of the fixes from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2

"Improved stability for general performance such as with Battery Grip D-BG4, the rear e-dial may rarely become unstable in particular shooting condition."

Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
05-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #11

Yeah, I read that - only my problem was not with the Battery Grib (since I don't own one), but I figured it might help anyway
05-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a similar annoying problem with my k7. fortunately it was resolved without fuss, and I had a spare K-7 and a K10D for back-up cameras.