Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Pentax k7 battery pack????

I did not see a forum about this so here it goes, what battery pack/grip would people recommend? I know there are some on eBay that go for like one hundred bucks less then the pentax one on there web site. Or is there another option all together? Like a bower adapter? Lol

04-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
eBay and other third party batteries may be just fine or may be awful, even from the same source. The problem is that copycat manufacturers just don't maintain the quality control that Pentax or other quality camera makers do.

I bought several spare batteries for my K20D as I do a lot of long exposure shooting and can go through batteries in a few shots. One of three off brand batteries gives me as almost as good a time as the one that came with the camera. One is pretty close and one lasts about a quarter as long. So I have 2 good battery's worth of power out of 3 for about the cost of 1 1/2 times what OEM batteries would have cost. As a pure value proposition that's not too bad. As a convenience issue it sucks. I won't do that again. I paid for a quality camera. I won't junk it up again with bargain basement add-ons.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend A City in Photographs 365
04-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the battery pack only that gives you connections to 2 batteries. Then there's the grip that also gives you duplicate shutter and wheel controls for easy vertical shooting. If this interests you, make sure the battery pack/grip has the extra controls.
04-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah it would be nice to have a vertical grip... hmmmm

04-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Well, that's a well thought out and inaccurate answer. I don't know what bargain basement batteries you bought but I've used nothing but third party batteries as spares in all 3 of my cameras, K10/K20/K7 and they last just as long if not longer than the supplied originals. My expernience with them is not unique. Pentax QC, Bullshit. Sell that line to all the people with failed SDM or the ones who have done everything right and had their cameras freeze in the middle of a firmware update. I'm of reasonable belief that these are all the same battery with a different sticker and package.

That said, He wasn't asking about batteries, but the battery Grip. I have the Pentax BDG-4 for my K7. All I can say after using it for awhile is that using the camera without it is now uncomfortable. The camera will operate with either the body or the grip battery for a power source. The grip comes with 2 separate battery controls, one for the proprietary battery and the other for 6x AA batteries. With both options in normal use, you're easily good for over 1000 shots or more. As for third party ones, there's a couple threads here that dive into it. I chose to spend the money when I bought the camera (or shortly after) so I cannot really comment on the aftermarkets.

04-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks jeffJS! Yeah Did it come with the two internal batteries? how much was it?
04-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I own the Pentax brand grip. It works well and can't really comment on the off brand grips. It is nice -- just seems to complete the camera and makes it really comfortable to use. It is weather sealed. I got a couple of off brand batteries from Deal Extreme. As I recall, I paid 195 for the grip and 12 dollars for the batteries.

The added benefit is that the grip can take AA batteries so that you can keep shooting in a pinch.
04-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by leadguitarest Quote
Thanks jeffJS! Yeah Did it come with the two internal batteries? how much was it?
I paid $175 for mine and it did not come with batteries. I bought spare batteries and a third party charger before I even ordered the camera so I didn't need the grip to come with them. Actually the same day but the battery order was placed first. There are $200 range ones on ebay that do come with batteries and other stuff though.

With the grip, the camera will run without the body battery (the grip has to be removed to change the body battery) and the grip doesn't have to be turned on for that type of use. The battery (or AA batteries) fits in a tray that goes in from the side. With the proprietary battery tray, there is a space for spare SD card. No such space on the AA tray because it's packed with batteries. One thing I'm reading about the AA option however. Like the Kx and other AA cameras, you have to be mindful of the voltage of the batteries. LanceB set up a post discussing this where the wrong types caused problems for him. The batteries I use for the AA option are the same Energizer 2500mAh NiMh I use in my flash. They seem to last a good while in there but I couldn't give you a photo capacity because I took them out to put back in the flash.

The ONE thing that you may find annoying with the grip is that the tripod mount is off center. Why they felt the need to do that, I have no idea. It doesn't bother me but to some, it's an issue. The trade off in my mind is huge however. With the grip I gain much better control over the camera with longer (heavier) lenses. I was on the verge of selling my 300mm because I just couldn't get comfortable using it. The grip changed that for me.

Is it worth the investment? I think so. Is the Pentax branded one $100 better than the third party? I don't know. No need for me to find out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-D-BG4-Battery-Grip-For-Pentax-K-7_W0QQitemZ200461...item2eac695579

I think this one has been discussed here in the forums. Don't know if it's genuine Pentax. They claim it is..

Last edited by JeffJS; 04-13-2010 at 10:17 AM.
04-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Wow that appears to be a genuine for 55 bucks, I would totally grab that if I had money in my bank. It ships from NY, has enough positive ratings, and claims to be genuine with warranty.
04-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
I know right! I am confused because it says it holds 2 li-ion batteries but then a bit further down it says 1 li-ion battery.. hmmm... But he has good history
04-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I know right! I am confused because it says it holds 2 li-ion batteries but then a bit further down it says 1 li-ion battery.. hmmm... But he has good history
It doesn't say it holds two li-ion batteries, it says that this grip "allows" you to use "two" li-ion batteries. But someone already bought it, I'm almost certain it's genuine. The seller probably got fooled trying to price-match all the replica grips, but didn't know it.
04-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Inactive Account

It holds only one battery.

04-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #13

Original Poster
That still isn't that bad.. Does it work pretty well? and is it weather proof as well?
04-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I just received my knock-off grip from DealExtreme, all the way from China. It took about 2 1/2 weeks. Paid $54 and some change. I really just wanted to see how I liked handling the K7 with a grip. First off, the grip wouldn't snug up to the body because the alignment pins (metal) on the opposite corners were misaligned. I had to knock one of the pins off with a screwdriver and hammer. Snugged up fine after that. All controls seem to work fine. Power switch seems to rotate a little too easily. I switched it off accidentally. Plastic construction quality seems a step or two below that of Pentax (I have a Pentax grip for my K10). It says in the manual that it is dust proof and water resistant but I probably wouldn't test that. Overall I'd have to say that it's pretty impressive for the price. In the end, though, I've decided that I don't really care for the feel of the K-7 with the grip. I love the size of the camera as-is and will only use the grip when I have my Sigma 100-300 f/4 attached, when it does make things feel better balanced. I'm glad I didn't spend $200 bucks for something I won't use that much!

Last edited by DogLover; 04-28-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: clarification
08-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I recently met someone with a Nikon D300. His camera had an extended battery grip such as the one that fits the K-7. He told me these extra batteries increased the speed of his camera. Has anyone had the same experience with any Pentax battery grips?