Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I think this diagram is for film since the only thing between the lens and the sensor nowadays (DSLR) is the mirror 'coz if you lock up the mirror, you will immediately see the sensor if you need to do some cleaning.
I don't believe the DSLRs have a physical shutter anymore..I think!?
The setup is the same.
DSLR's do have a mechanical shutter, the film is replaced by a sensor + SR system + AA filter, but that is not the point for showing this picture...
Follow the light path, and then eliminate the places that can be poluted by dust.

- Bert

04-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
what kind of photos come out well? I'd guess that the photos you're not pleased with have some common characteristics the are irrelevant to the good ones.

it would help if you posted some samples of you're good and not so good photographs
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to go with the screen theory for now. It just looks far too orderly to be dust or anything. Knowing that the screen should have a pattern would seem to make sense of what I'm looking at. The issues I'm looking at seem to be focus oriented but they never look like any sort of pattern.

I'll get into specifics once I have a better feel for the camera.

Besides... I am so unhappy with Newegg right now that I may send it all back and if I do that I will likely go with a K7. I bought the camera because of it's low-light reports but find it has no shutter release (what kind of low light camera has no shutter release, anyhow).

Thanks again for the replies and I'll consider it all.
04-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's not a "theory", it's a documented fact. Moden DSLR focus screens have a pattern of microlenses on them, and this forms a pattern you can see.

BTW, not sure what you mean by "shutter release", but if you mean a way to trigget the shutter remotely, the K-x certainly has that: via infrared remote. And unlike many other cameras, it can even be configured to work in bulb mode with one click to open the shutter and another to close it, rather than requiring the button to be held down.
04-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's not a "theory", it's a documented fact. Moden DSLR focus screens have a pattern of microlenses on them, and this forms a pattern you can see.

BTW, not sure what you mean by "shutter release", but if you mean a way to trigget the shutter remotely, the K-x certainly has that: via infrared remote. And unlike many other cameras, it can even be configured to work in bulb mode with one click to open the shutter and another to close it, rather than requiring the button to be held down.
Sorry... poor choice of words. I meant that of all the suggestions in the posts, I was going with your answer.

And, yes... I was refering to the lack of a shutter release cable. IR does not allow me to stand behind the camera and press half-way and then full. I do a fair amount of night and evening shooting and went gaga over this camera's HighISO reviews without ever checking to see if I could use it... my bad. I hope to get out with it again one evening early this week and see if I am steady enough to do it by hand on a tripod as the handheld efforts are not working. This, however, should be in another thread, I suppose.

Anyhowz... thanks for the replies!