Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #1

Kx sensor spots OK?

Hello,

I recently bought a Kx and alternately love it one moment and then just don't know what to think about it the next. Seems I get great shots one time and the next is poor with no obvious explaination. I am holding judgement until I've used it more as I may just need to get used to it as everything about it seems different from what I'm used tol

What I do want to know, though, is this:

When I look in the viewfinder and zoom (regardless of lense choice) I see a pattern of a bazillion tiny spots or noise or something that appear to be in the sensor or mirror or somewhere. They cover the entire viewer and almost seem to be in a pattern. I've never noticed this in a camera before and wondered if it is normal for this unit.

I have controlled the situation by looking for it and then shooting a shot at full zoom and accomplished a sharp shot and other times gotten a noisey/blurry one. It is always there regardless of shot quality.

I'm not knocking the Kx. I am not used to the mechanics enough to make a judgement, yet (only about 1000 frames) and want to be patient. I just need to know if this is normal or if I need to send it back as my 30 day period ends soon and that would be faster than going through repairs, I'd guess.

If this is normal... then I forget about it and continue working with the camera to see what I can do with it. I did the firmware deal right after getting it but have not changed more than a few settings from defaults yet as I thought it better to get used to the feel of the thing and it's controls first. I have also run dust removal even though there is definately a pattern to it that would suggest it not something like dust.

Does anyone else notice this when they zoom a Kx?

Thanks for any input!

04-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can't see the sensor through your viewfinder. So if you see it in the viewfinder, it isn't on the sensor. What you're seeing is the texture of the focus screen. It's that way on purpose; without that texture, there would be nothing to form an image (like a movie projector trying to display an image on a window). All SLR's have some form of texture; the K-x' just happens to be more prominent than some. It actually helps with focusing.
04-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You can't see the sensor through your viewfinder. So if you see it in the viewfinder, it isn't on the sensor. What you're seeing is the texture of the focus screen. It's that way on purpose; without that texture, there would be nothing to form an image (like a movie projector trying to display an image on a window). All SLR's have some form of texture; the K-x' just happens to be more prominent than some. It actually helps with focusing.
OK... thanks. It does look very much like a planned pattern, I guess I have just never noticed it before because I've never looked so closely.

Now to see why I am having such mixed results...

Thanks again!!!
04-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums 62mm.
Does it turn up on the photos?
If it does maybe you can post some..but as Marc has said it may be the "fresnel like" pattern (I don't really know how to call it) that is on the screen to aid in focus.
It becomes sharper or disappears entirely when you are in focus and should be blurred when the subject is out of focus.

04-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #5

I noticed this when I first used my kx, their very obvious when you're shooting on a very bright day but figured their there for a reason so I never really ask the question if there is something wrong with my viewfinder.

62mm, if you're noobie like me it's normal to get mixed results, so be patient.
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You may have dirt in your camera: on the mirror itself and/or the focus screen, or on the eye piece glass.
As said before it is not on the sensor, that would only show up on the pictures.

Have a close look at the mirror and the focus screen, gently blow (preferably with a rocket blower) against them and see if the amount of dust or the placing changes.
If so, you need to clean the camera.

- Bert
04-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think it might be some stray sunlight coming through too, that can sometimes have an effect on your viewfinder. I doubt that it's dust though if you say that it's coming through at a certain pattern.

04-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bet you have dirt or dust on the glass of your viewfinder. My friend had this happen with his canon when he changed lenses on a windy day and a gust of wind blew some dirt into his camera.

The sensor wasn't that bad after a good cleaning but his viewfinder was a mess. I would first try and blow it out with blower and if that doesn't work I would send it to pentax because I don't think that something like this should be normal.
04-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Inactive Account

aren't the focusing screens in the kx user changeable?
if there is dirt in the focusing screen, you should be able to flip it out and clean it.

there was a link a while back on how to do this on a k100 i think.
04-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Its the viewfinder, not dust or light streaks. The typical dust problem is not a "bazillion" specks in a "pattern".

No mention of spots on the image itself, which if the camera was so dusty on the finder, at least some specks would be on the sensor.
04-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Its the viewfinder, not dust or light streaks. The typical dust problem is not a "bazillion" specks in a "pattern".

No mention of spots on the image itself, which if the camera was so dusty on the finder, at least some specks would be on the sensor.
No, not necessarily.
The sensor is protected by the shutter, which is in front of the sensor and separates it from the mirror box.
Also in front of the sensor there is an AA filter that is cleaned by ultrasonic movement of the filter at startup, combined with a non static, anti dust coating.
If not the glas of the VF is dirty, it is dirt on the mirror or the focus screen.

See the diagram and look for (blow for) dirt at:
  • The viewfinder
  • Translucent screen
  • Mirror

Good luck, Bert
04-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 62mm Quote
OK... thanks. It does look very much like a planned pattern, I guess I have just never noticed it before because I've never looked so closely.

Now to see why I am having such mixed results...

Thanks again!!!
what kind of photos come out well? I'd guess that the photos you're not pleased with have some common characteristics the are irrelevant to the good ones.

it would help if you posted some samples of you're good and not so good photographs
04-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
No, not necessarily.
The sensor is protected by the shutter, which is in front of the sensor and separates it from the mirror box.
Also in front of the sensor there is an AA filter that is cleaned by ultrasonic movement of the filter at startup, combined with a non static, anti dust coating.
If not the glas of the VF is dirty, it is dirt on the mirror or the focus screen.

See the diagram and look for (blow for) dirt at:
  • The viewfinder
  • Translucent screen
  • Mirror

Good luck, Bert
I think this diagram is for film since the only thing between the lens and the sensor nowadays (DSLR) is the mirror 'coz if you lock up the mirror, you will immediately see the sensor if you need to do some cleaning.
I don't believe the DSLRs have a physical shutter anymore..I think!?
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes, DSLR's have a physical shutter.
04-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes, DSLR's have a physical shutter.
Thanks for this 'coz with film, you open up the back and you see the shutter. Wind it up and trip the shutter and you see the shutter curtain opening and closing depending on speed.
With the DSLR..you can't see nothing! Just the mirror flippin up and down..hehe.