Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
cant understand how pentax can tout backward compatibility,
and not offer a split-prism.
This sure had me thinking... yeah why not?

04-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
* jack for manual shutter release cable
Why would you want this when it already has an electronic jack for a remote cable?
Putting threads on the shutter button adds to the cost and maybe in bulk since they have to make the button thicker to accommodate a thread.
Why? Because I have an old shoulder-stock mount with a manual shutter release cable that I can't use with my K20D, can't use with my motor-advance ZX-M, can only use with my old manual-advance M42 bodies. That shoulder-stock mount makes handling long lenses MUCH easier, even if the rig rather resembles a grenade launcher. And I have an old bracket-mount hand grip with off-cam hotshoe, with a shutter button on the grip and a cable to manually fire the shutter. It puts the flash where I want it, but it's also only usable with my older SLR's and RF's.

The cable jack needn't be in the shutter button, needn't be a mechanical actuator. The jack could sit in the side panel next to the power, USB/vid and wired remote jacks. A manual cable affixed there would hit a switch to fire the shutter. Ah, maybe I'll have to kluge an interface: a threaded manual-cable socket soldered to a N-O switching jack wired to a 3.5mm plug, all that plugged into the wired remote jack. It would just be simpler for me if it was part of the camera. [whine bitch moan groan whine snivel]
04-14-2010, 12:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

At least 1080p video resolution. I'd love to get rid of my Canon 1080p HG21 camcorder and carry one less device when traveling, but both the the K-X and K7 are limited to 720p resolution. That would be only 15% of the pixels on my desktop and I just can't see myself going for a 720p recording device.

SDXC card slot - I would expect that on any new device nowadays, even some P&S have them.

The Canon 550D looks like one device that would fit all my requirements, but that would mean doing away with my K200D, the flash, accessories, and 2 lenses, and starting over in Canon DSLR world. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that.
04-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
cant understand how pentax can tout backward compatibility, and not offer a split-prism.
Yes that's a curious one.

I think they really only pay lip service to older lens users - understandable I guess given their dilemma I was outlining above. If they really really really wanted to support those, they could add additive custom lens settings into their menu somewhere. Imagine if there were 20 custom lens slots, which you could name and configure yourself. So for example for that old 400mm that was perhaps a little soft and/or lacking in contrast you configure it as one of the slots, which might bump up contrast and sharpness a little when it's attached and add a little backfocus value. Then when you take it off and mount another lens you'd just take it off that lens setting and add whatever preremembered settings you have for the next lens. That'd be so sweet.

Honestly, I think these dslr manufacturers could do a lot better job using computer technology for their consumer products. I think, for example, that the interface on these things are shocking, years out of date. If you consider the amount of processing and functionality an iphone can give you nowadays with all its bazillion apps, that's the sort of level and compactness of technology that camera companies should be aspiring to. I'd be utterly amazed if the big tie-ups in the next few years that camera companies make arn't with software/computer type companies for this exact reason.

And, you know, I appreciate that camera companies might not want to give away any visibility into the processing governing their dSLRs, but some sort of third party integration into cameras is an idea that must surely come in time. Imagine, for example, if Adobe developed a really cracking ND plugin, which allowed you to set it in camera and allowed you to even set it for only part of the frame. Like a soft grad ND, but in-camera, and completely configurable. That'd be so hot, I'd buy it tomorrow.

Last edited by Nass; 04-14-2010 at 02:22 AM.
04-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I want dual sd-card slots...

they've stuck the feature onto their new medium format camera so i envision they'll put it into their future APS-C cameras... or even their FF camera, if they ever make one.

And i just want it for convenience really - hate switching cards.

Sometimes i imagine how cool it would be if the sd-card holder in the battery grip actually functioned... oh well
04-14-2010, 04:40 AM   #36
Inactive Account

The reason Pentax does not offer a split screen?
It totally wipes out the use of spot metering.

RioRico,
I adapted a wired release to go on my shoulder stock. That way I can use either wired or old fashion cable.
04-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #37

Original Poster
As a programmer... open source firmware with an SDK bundled in would be, I don't know. A dream?

04-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #38
Forum Member

bluetooth will improve the connectivity!
04-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #39
Nubi

I want a camera with FF sensor that I can also shoot 135mm films with.
04-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Wait, why does everyone hate the wheel? I have never found anything bad about it, unless you mean how it can accidentally be turned while you're carrying the camera around your neck or something, but I think that Canon (I don't remember, it's been so long since I've had a camera with one) had some kind of auto locking mechanism on it.
04-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #41
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Continued use of WR lens and bodies.
And, please keep these on the smaller side for reasonable field use.
GR
04-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drogomoss Quote
As a programmer... open source firmware with an SDK bundled in would be, I don't know. A dream?
This would be a nightmare situation for any vendor to provide customer support for any appliance they manufacture, which uses possibly 3rd party firmware or custom code running/ruining it. The most anyone would do is provide scripting ability and still retain OS/firmware proprietary.
04-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I believe you are not right here.
Main problem is to isolate themselfs, so no user will be able to call for support.
Look at Canon, they have CHDK and ML.
ML is almost certainly based on information leakage (as Trammel do not agree to share any disassembler findings). For starters their encryption method and tables leaked few years ago.
CHDKt also have interesting history, it had very slow development without any good results and then bumped quite fast. Their developers are very good guys and they don't have any Canon connections, I believe, but from some point information leakage is not necessary anymore.

I don't believe Hoya or any other vendor are agains improvement of their products. They are just slow big corporations and this makes them hard to help here. Opening source for firmware after one or two years is a good option and I see no risks here as all of them use different sensors, processors, etc.

I believe we could make big petition here for Hoya and may be this could be precedent.
04-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Wow, you're back. A lot of people have been wondering about your work, myself included.

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
I believe you are not right here.
Main problem is to isolate themselfs, so no user will be able to call for support.
Look at Canon, they have CHDK and ML.
ML is almost certainly based on information leakage (as Trammel do not agree to share any disassembler findings). For starters their encryption method and tables leaked few years ago.
CHDKt also have interesting history, it had very slow development without any good results and then bumped quite fast. Their developers are very good guys and they don't have any Canon connections, I believe, but from some point information leakage is not necessary anymore.

I don't believe Hoya or any other vendor are agains improvement of their products. They are just slow big corporations and this makes them hard to help here. Opening source for firmware after one or two years is a good option and I see no risks here as all of them use different sensors, processors, etc.

I believe we could make big petition here for Hoya and may be this could be precedent.
04-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Turned evil now :-) Panasonic camp :-) GH1, you know.