Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DSLR Features you'd like your Pentax to Have

I am using a Pentax K-X right now and enjoying it immensely. Although I'm having problems getting my M42 Auto Chinon 28mm f/2.8 to work with the catch-in-focus. While tinkering with the K-X, I cobbled up features I thought would make any Pentax DSLR amazing. Here's the article for the Top 20 features I'd like my Pentax K-x to have. There's a list below it were you could add features you think would be cool. Please add more features to the list. Let's see how many of them come true in a years time.

20 Features a Pentax must have

04-13-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

no more crippled mount.

select able focus point while doing old lenses. like K and M.

04-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Forum Member

AF Lamp. Absolutely hate having to pop up the flash to focus.
04-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
@shahmatt: I hear you. They should placed the lamp outside. :-)

04-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I can't speak of the Kx. What I'd like on my K20D and newer cams would be:

* Hot.filter removal switch (for IR work)
* Laser ranging, with DOF / hyperfocus indication
* Auto-bracket / HDR with interval shooting
* jack for manual shutter release cable
* Near-grainless ultra-low ISO, grayscale if necessary
* Option to set long-exposure NR off
* Selectable still aspects: 2:1, 3:2, 4:3, 5:4, 1:1
* Selectable focus points with all (old) lenses
* Full data / control and audio / video I/O
* Open-source firmware
04-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

- Option to set long-exposure NR off
04-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I can't speak of the Kx. What I'd like on my K20D and newer cams would be:

* Hot.filter removal switch (for IR work)
* Laser ranging, with DOF / hyperfocus indication
* Auto-bracket / HDR with interval shooting
* jack for manual shutter release cable
* Near-grainless ultra-low ISO, grayscale if necessary
* Option to set long-exposure NR off
* Selectable still aspects: 2:1, 3:2, 4:3, 5:4, 1:1
* Selectable focus points with all (old) lenses
* Full data / control and audio / video I/O
* Open-source firmware
Why would you want this when it already has an electronic jack for a remote cable?
Putting threads on the shutter button adds to the cost and maybe in bulk since they have to make the button thicker to accommodate a thread.
Anyway, this is just a wish list so anybody can dream, right?

04-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A lot of folks out there with a K-7 would love a K-x type sensor on the K-7.
So, maybe for the K-x, here's the one wish list: Place all the K-7 features on the K-x..since it already has the good sensor!
04-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in looking at the list, and I'll add a few here as well.

probable
- I would like to have a TTL flash sensor again, like the *istD and DS whcih support both TTL and P-TTL. THis is a level of support needed really for K mount and M42 lenses.
- modifyable metering curves with lenses. same as focusing
- an input for maximum aperture so green button metering with manual lenses could be correctly compensated.
- focal length / aperture correction for teleconverters
- tuneable SR, since each person is different the needs are also different.

improbable
- direct aperture coupling from K mount lenses but I won't hold my breath.
- open source firmware,
04-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Af Lamp, Faster AF
04-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You know, a super simple little thing that I'd like (you'll laugh) is a countdown timer for long exposures (say above 1 s). Ie a 30s exposure would count down on the top dial 30,29,28... etc.

I think if Pentax were at all smart they'd add some stuff that can only work with newer lenses. I bet they hate the fact that they lose so much revenue through -a and -m lenses. Ie inbuilt focus stackling is an obvious one that comes to mind.

Also GPS positioning would be handy
04-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'd like my K10D to have a flash sync jack, individual lens focus adjustment, more dynamic range with less noise, and better AF.

Wait, I guess I could have all those if I just upgraded my camera to a newer Pentax.
04-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I think if Pentax were at all smart they'd add some stuff that can only work with newer lenses. I bet they hate the fact that they lose so much revenue through -a and -m lenses.
They have lots of things that only work with newer lenses, AND MANY FORUM MEMBERS HATE THAT FACT

Just look at the forum threads and you will see this.
- only stopped down metering with K lenses, no Av mode
- no TTL flash with older lenses, or flashes that don't support P-TTL
- no program lines wit older lenses
- no screw drive option on HSM lenses

The simple fact is that backwards compatibility, such as it is, saved pentax. Are you now suggesting pentax abandon those who saved the company?

I think pentax has recognized that their efforts to attract their film customers over to digital were successful and are not to be terminated so simply.

As a result, what they need to add, the "stuff" as you put it, has to be something that simply is not possible AT ALL without a new lens. It should not take away any further from what you can do with an older lens, in that respect, pentax, in many people's opinion have gone too far already.

To support older hardware any less would put them in the same boat as canon and nikon. That is not a boat I want to be in,
04-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'd like a complete overhaul of the Pentax flash system. Start with a higher flash sync speed like 1/250 sec. then copy/reverse engineer everything that the Nikon Creative Lighting System is capable of. New more robust flash units with full wireless capability, higher GN and quicker recharging, dedicated macro flash units, an off-camera wireless transmitter (sorely missing) or radio flash triggers. If necessary, work in collaboration with a studio strobe company like say Elinchrom or Profoto for cross product compatibility (useful for the new 645D if used in studio or location shoots). Also a macro lens that goes beyond 1:1 like the Canon MP-E 65mm Macro Lens.
04-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'd like a complete overhaul of the Pentax flash system. Start with a higher flash sync speed like 1/250 sec. then copy/reverse engineer everything that the Nikon Creative Lighting System is capable of. New more robust flash units with full wireless capability, higher GN and quicker recharging, dedicated macro flash units, an off-camera wireless transmitter (sorely missing) or radio flash triggers. If necessary, work in collaboration with a studio strobe company like say Elinchrom or Profoto for cross product compatibility (useful for the new 645D if used in studio or location shoots). Also a macro lens that goes beyond 1:1 like the Canon MP-E 65mm Macro Lens.
in that case you should buy nikon.

I don't disagree that there are some new things that need design effort, but lets not run off and just copy nikon.

WIth respect to flash sync, that is not just the flash, but also the shutter mechanism. In addition, what would be nice is trailing curtain sync of 250 also, and this would require a shorter duration higher intensity flash.

This should be possible for an ASP-C sensor because we had 1/250 for flash sync on the PZ-1 covering a much larger frame area / travel distance.

Additional flash accessories would be useful, but I don't get the comment about flash power.

a GN of 54 meters is pretty good already. what do you want to achieve, bounc flash off the moon?

As for lenses, I am sure there are a lot of people out there with wish lists for lenses. Consider AF and HSM extension tubes, tele converters,,....

As for me, on the lens and accessory front, what about lens converters.

I have stopped down metering versions of nikon AI and Canon FD mount to K mount converters, which are optically corrected (essentually 1.25x TCs) that provide infinity focus. WHat about pentax putting their design team behind these, and adding aperture couplings, and contacts for aperture etc,. to accept and make functional metering and AF functions on the newer lenses as well.

I am not proud, I will use any lens.