Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
last time i did that, i killed a *ist DS....

i can't hear the nut rattling inside. seems fine to shoot with.
Haha..don't compound the problem by shooting it still since you might get a short and then you would not only have killed an *ist DS but a K-7 too!
Then you'll have to change your username to "assassin" or "butcher"! LOL

04-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My gut tells me that this is just a case of bad luck - ultimately strap lugs aren't new technology, and a lot of cameras use/have used them, so they're not new technology - they're proven, and should be more-or-less failproof... or at least the incidence of failure should be pretty low.

My money's on failed retaining washer, or bad peening job failed to keep the retaining washer on.

If we haven't seen a rash of these failures, I'd reckon it's a single bad peen, and not a systemic manufacturing failure.

At least I hope that's the case
04-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
If the camera is still under warranty, then it is better not to touch it since it would void the warranty, plus even if the OP was able to get the lug screwed back on, the weathersealing would not be the same.
If this is a production fault, Pentax might even replace your K-7 even after the 27K shutter count!
You might get a new K-7 (300+ shutter count)!
Pray that you will!

Your right.. The camera would have to be out of warranty before I would even attempt it. I thought I had made that clear. Guess not...

04-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

i can't hear the nut rattling inside. seems fine to shoot with.
Freaky. I wonder if there is even a nut, or if it's just glued in or a press fit. Didn't someone mention it was peened? Perhaps a bad peening?

04-15-2010, 06:08 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Freaky. I wonder if there is even a nut, or if it's just glued in or a press fit. Didn't someone mention it was peened? Perhaps a bad peening?
there is a nut. i can see it, but it doesn't rattle
04-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you can find a screw with the same thread (it's probably metric) and get hold of it. Pulll it back into place and then carefully thread the strap lug back in. May or may not work but certainly worth a try before sending it in. That is, Unless the strap lug broke Off of the nut ?? From your photo, the end of the lug looks pretty clean.

04-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If you try to attempt to fix it yourself then that is not the only "nut" you will recognize specially when the camera is still under warranty.
Don't let us tell you (when you screw it up).."we told you so"

04-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
If you try to attempt to fix it yourself then that is not the only "nut" you will recognize specially when the camera is still under warranty.
Don't let us tell you (when you screw it up).."we told you so"
+1, send it in. This is clearly a warranty problem. There is no sense compounding things by cracking the case open for a look if you can just send it in to Pentax for a warranty repair (and hopefully replacement). Good luck!
04-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
+1, send it in. This is clearly a warranty problem. There is no sense compounding things by cracking the case open for a look if you can just send it in to Pentax for a warranty repair (and hopefully replacement). Good luck!
Well said..