Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #1

K7 Strap lug problem

so.. uh... has anyone else had this problem?

Don't know how it happened tbh. took photos at a beach, all fine. the week after (easter monday), took it out of my bag to take photos, it rattled a bit, then came off

Would love to send it in to Pentax australia/CR Kennedy, but i'm still unemployed, i still don't trust them to repair it properly (IE: look at my K200D ) and i'll need it at a convention this weekend

apart from the shutter count (27.6K), it doesn't really get abused. the straps shouldn't have torqued it out anyway. firstly cause i can't see a strap applying too much force to it, and secondly because my strap has turnbuckles to stop the strap twisting

(yup, that's the bit that came out of that hole... inb4"that's what she said")

right lug still feels solid.. but i'm a little skeptical... and i cant' find my Fastenr for my R-strap

04-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You had both ends of the strap attached to the same side?
04-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
You had both ends of the strap attached to the same side?
nope, though it looks like someone on another forum i posted this on does that.

I put normal keyrings on mine, and put the hook on the triangle rings so that i can remove and replace straps at will. All my cameras (K200D, K7, K1000, Nikon FM10) have that.
04-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh man, that looks bad. I carry heavy lenses like FA*80-200 quite often, and I always use shoulder strap, hope this won't happen to mine ...

Hope you can get it fixed soon.

04-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That looks really bad 'coz from the looks of it, the lug has some sort of washer nuts that attach it from the inside of the body.
It would seem like it loosened or unscrewed.
If that part of the lug is still inside, then it might cause problems if not with the electrical, with the mechanical function of the camera.
I would get it to repair fast if that where mine.
I'm guessing it has left the retaining nut inside the body and it would still rattle.
04-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Inactive Account

That lug normally has a washer over the stud. It is then peened to hold it in place.
I agree it should be serviced immediately.
04-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I second Gerryl, if a metal piece is loose inside the camera can cause a short and ruined the camera. Get it fix ASAP. Also it will be better done by pentax so the weather seal can be warranted just in case.

04-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera was released in June/July '09 so even this one should still be under warranty, No? You can't thread it back in? Or is the thread stripped? I can't really tell from your picture.

Short of either of those options, I would be tempted to take the camera apart myself to find the part that holds the strap lug to the camera or the part that has broken off.

Good luck with it..

04-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Banned

since I carry my k-7 by a leather wrist strap, the same lug is always being used and always taking the force and weight. this kind of scares me.
04-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have actually always wondered if this would happen while I was carrying my camera, because it just seems like the worst possible thing that could happen during every day use, to have your camera suddenly not be around your neck or shoulder anymore and instead on the ground in a ton of pieces.

Has anyone else ever had any of this stuff break? I would have expected the actual cloth strap to break before these, but looks like I was wrong.
04-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
nope, though it looks like someone on another forum i posted this on does that.

I put normal keyrings on mine, and put the hook on the triangle rings so that i can remove and replace straps at will. All my cameras (K200D, K7, K1000, Nikon FM10) have that.
I would send the camera and strap for services. CR Kennedy (Australian distributor of Pentax) has good reputation among Australian Pentaxians. I may even suggest to send them an email or call them in advance.
04-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow that's pretty scary, I just had to pull my K-7 out of the bag and check on it just now. I hope this won't ever happen to me, I always pull the camera out of the bag using the strap..
04-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That's freaky as hell.

Hmmm... Perhaps having the larger split rings on it allowed the pins to be pulled out similar to pulling a nail out with a claw hammer or a nail puller?

EDIT: Or perhaps it wasn't assembled correctly? This is going to weigh heavily on a lot of K7 users, me included... Is there anything rattling in the camera?

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 04-13-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Did not want to double post
04-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The camera was released in June/July '09 so even this one should still be under warranty, No?
bought in august. so yeah, still under warranty. i'll give them a call Thursday about it

You can't thread it back in? Or is the thread stripped? I can't really tell from your picture.
thread on lug hasn't been stripped. nut isn't behind the hole anymore so i cant' thread it back in.

Short of either of those options, I would be tempted to take the camera apart
last time i did that, i killed a *ist DS....

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Is there anything rattling in the camera?
i can't hear the nut rattling inside. seems fine to shoot with.
04-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I would be tempted to take the camera apart myself to find the part that holds the strap lug to the camera or the part that has broken off.

If the camera is still under warranty, then it is better not to touch it since it would void the warranty, plus even if the OP was able to get the lug screwed back on, the weathersealing would not be the same.
If this is a production fault, Pentax might even replace your K-7 even after the 27K shutter count!
You might get a new K-7 (300+ shutter count)!
Pray that you will!