Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bryan Peterson's

Hi Everyone,
I am curious if Bryan Peterson's 'Understanding Exposure' or 'Understanding Photography Field Guide'.

Is this a good explain how to use?

04-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Understaning Exposure is nearly a must read. It gives a good understanding on the how, whats and whys of exposing a frame for photography. Highly recommended.
04-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Banned

Understanding Exposure is in my opinion about the first book that should be in anyones library when starting out with 'serious' photography. An excellent book on the basics.

YMMV
04-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #4

I just bought that book, "Understanding Exposure Revise Edition" this weekend at Costco for $15.99. Awesome book if you ask. Very interesing read, explained in detail.

Last edited by Camgen; 04-13-2010 at 07:39 AM.
04-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am going to order it now. I try it. smile
04-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There have two seperate book. One for 'Understanding Exposure' and other book is 'Understanding Photography Field Guide'.
Do I need to buy two books???
04-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
There have two seperate book. One for 'Understanding Exposure' and other book is 'Understanding Photography Field Guide'.
Do I need to buy two books???
I have both books. The field guide is more of an overview of several of Peterson's books. "Understanding Exposure" is all about exposure and much more thorough.

04-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I have both books. The field guide is more of an overview of several of Peterson's books. "Understanding Exposure" is all about exposure and much more thorough.

I have the field guide and it's good, but I was wondering if it was worth purchasing his highly touted exposure book. Seems like it is.

Cool, that's just the info I've needed.

Thanks
04-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree that "Understanding Exposure" is a must-read, even for experienced photographers. I've been using 35mm SLR's and now a K10D dslr, since 1967, so I think I had the basics down, but I still found little nuggets of information in the book that I could use.

Peterson has two other books that I recommend, after you've read "Understanding Exposure". They are "Understanding Shutter Speed" and "Learning to See Creatively". The first is, in some ways, an extension of "Understanding Exposure", concentrating on what you can do with various shutter speeds.

The second is a good lesson in, well, seeing creatively. This is something that is very hard to teach. In a way, you either have it, or you don't. But, he relates some excercises he did when he was a beginner, such as shooting for a whole day, with a single, fixed-focal length lens, so you learn the possibilities of that lens. He also tells some of the things he thinks about, when he views a scene with the idea of photographing it, and how he can make an interesting image, rather than the techically correct, but boring, snapshot that many people would get.

Paul Noble