Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-x with DA* 200mm f2.8

Anyone has used this combination? If so, can you post some photos taken close to or at wide-open with high ISO, up to 1600 or 3200 in appropriate conditions?

All the rave about K-x's capability to manage noise at high ISO got me wondering about the DA* 200 f2.8 to do candid portraits in low lights as well as night shots, with the possibility of using a 1.5 or even a 2.0 TC if appropriate.

Thanks.

04-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

the Kx is capable of high ISO whatever the focal length of lens so try it with f 5.6 (like using a 2x TC on a 2.8 lens) on any lens and see if you can get a steady shot and how it looks. IMO, 3200 ISO is only for emergency or "social" shots where the noise counts less, as long as one can recognize the actors in the respective scene )
04-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Kytra, do you have a K-x? I would put 6400 in the 'selective use' category, and probably only consider higher than that emergency use with the K-x.
04-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
All the rave about K-x's capability to manage noise at high ISO got me wondering about the DA* 200 f2.8 to do candid portraits in low lights as well as night shots, with the possibility of using a 1.5 or even a 2.0 TC if appropriate.

Thanks.
Are you a private-eye? Taking pictures of cheating spouses at night under street lights?
A Nikon will probably do better here due to its superior auto-focus, or at least a K-7 with the improved low-light auto-focus.

04-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanjo Quote
Are you a private-eye? Taking pictures of cheating spouses at night under street lights?
A Nikon will probably do better here due to its superior auto-focus, or at least a K-7 with the improved low-light auto-focus.
So you do expect a private-eye to admit that in a public forum, don't you? And spouses cheating under street lights? Where are these streets, I must have been definitely cruising the wrong streets
04-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
the Kx is capable of high ISO whatever the focal length of lens so try it with f 5.6 (like using a 2x TC on a 2.8 lens) on any lens and see if you can get a steady shot and how it looks. IMO, 3200 ISO is only for emergency or "social" shots where the noise counts less, as long as one can recognize the actors in the respective scene )
I was just playing around with the K-x earlier in our work parking garage with my DA 50-200 lens, not an ideal lens for such application but okay to test.

At f5.6, ISO 3200 and the lens extended to 200mm, the camera gave me shutter speeds around 1/25, which aren't obviously good enough thus the reason for my original post.
04-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With my K-x I normally use ISO100 to ISO400, and up to 2000 where I really need to. Which is quite flexible I think.
On my copy 3200 is Ok for small prints or where the subject is evenly lit (on mine the noise in darker areas of the image can be very invasive - although this may not be of concern to you).
Would imagine that low light focus might be an issue at distance - especially with a doubler!

04-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Forum Member

So you do expect a private-eye to admit that in a public forum, don't you? And spouses cheating under street lights? Where are these streets, I must have been definitely cruising the wrong streets
I mean to say "cheating spouses under street lights". Shagging in public is still illegal in the USA.
04-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Anyone has used this combination? If so, can you post some photos taken close to or at wide-open with high ISO, up to 1600 or 3200 in appropriate conditions?

Thanks.
Well I'm a huge fan of the DA*200mm but it struggles A LOT with any power zoom Teleconverter that allows SDM focus. The only TC option really would be the 1.7x AF. Also be warned it is one of the worst Pentax lenses for purple fringing - so you will need to correct that. Of course I don't think I have ever taken a picture with that lens that was not at F2.8 and PF problems are usually worse at wide apertures. These images were all taken at F2.8 - mostly with K-7 but not at super high ISO.

100% crop
04-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Holy crap! The 2nd photo is just awesome!
04-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
Well I'm a huge fan of the DA*200mm but it struggles A LOT with any power zoom Teleconverter that allows SDM focus. The only TC option really would be the 1.7x AF. Also be warned it is one of the worst Pentax lenses for purple fringing - so you will need to correct that. Of course I don't think I have ever taken a picture with that lens that was not at F2.8 and PF problems are usually worse at wide apertures. These images were all taken at F2.8 - mostly with K-7 but not at super high ISO.

Great shot here, it's always amazing to see a photo from this lens wide open as it really is stunning. I hope to pick one up sooner or later, but first I need to get a job so I can afford one.