Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #1

About the screws that hold the Pentax K-x together

Hi guys,
I broke the glass cover of the LCD in the back of my Pentax Kx.
Not a big deal fortunately: I ordered a new one from pentax for $4 + $0.6 for the double sticky tape and $8 shipping. Removing the broken glass was also not a big deal: just unscrew everything, lift a little bit the top (where the flash is) and remove the back cover.

The problem is... that I didn't realize all those little screws that hold everything together are in fact very different from each other. So, now putting things back is a pain in the neck.

Is anyone on this forum crazy enough to remove the screws from their Pentax Kx and tell me what goes where? Just removing the little screws w/o taking apart the camera is really easy peasy. Should not take longer than 10 minutes.

Thanks!

04-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where did you go to engineering school?

Test fit the screws before screwing the parts together, and make a diagram to know what goes where.
04-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Harsh...however I don't remember that class when I took engineering. (only horrible diffEQ's).

Anyway, normally it isn't too much trouble to test fit screws. Try a small paperclip to determine the hole length if you have multiple of the same bore with different lengths.

Remember a tech has to be able to do this so it can't be too hard.
04-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Harsh...however I don't remember that class when I took engineering. (only horrible diffEQ's).

Anyway, normally it isn't too much trouble to test fit screws. Try a small paperclip to determine the hole length if you have multiple of the same bore with different lengths.

Remember a tech has to be able to do this so it can't be too hard.

Remember an engineer had to design it so to be as simple as it he could envision it so it is probably impossible!

04-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well you could probably find a diagram of the screws and the number in which they go in, but if you ever have to do this again I would really recommend that you get a little container and put each different type of screw in different compartments.
04-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well you could probably find a diagram of the screws and the number in which they go in, but if you ever have to do this again I would really recommend that you get a little container and put each different type of screw in different compartments.
Yea, this is what I do when I take small items apart. If I don't do that I usually group the screws with the piece that came off so I remember that way.
04-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Where did you go to engineering school?
Test fit the screws before screwing the parts together, and make a diagram to know what goes where.
I didn't go to any engineering school.
It's quite difficult to test fits at this point. There are about 15 screws of 4-5 different kind. They are different enough to create trouble yet similar enough for me not to realized until I put things together.
04-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Have you got it back together yet?

I would just suggest putting them all in different sets for the sizes and trying each one until you find one that works there.

04-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

"Remember a tech has to be able to do this so it can't be too hard.".
Thank god for engineers, for there is steady employment for technicians.
I mean... ever see an engineer fix anything?, ROTF FLMAO.

Anyhow, good advice about measuring hole depth.

Cheers, Mike.
04-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
I tried to match screws and holes so that they wouldn't be too tight or too loose and I think I figured some of them but obviously something is still wrong because I end up with two empty holes, two screws but not match :/

I asked technical assistance if they have a PDF version of the service manual to send me.

Note to self: never again take a camera apart if you are in a hurry.
04-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crocowhile Quote
I tried to match screws and holes so that they wouldn't be too tight or too loose and I think I figured some of them but obviously something is still wrong because I end up with two empty holes, two screws but not match :/

I asked technical assistance if they have a PDF version of the service manual to send me.

Note to self: never again take a camera apart if you are in a hurry.
Well, you got most of it right. Now it is just test fitting 4 screws..'coz you got 2 that don't match the holes and 2 that was already screwed in the wrong place that should actually be there.
Process of elimination. Just take it apart again and keep track of things.
04-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
Alright, it was more than 2 that I got wrong but eventually I made it. Thanks everybody.
04-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Congratulations and it would have been great if you documented it the second time around for those who would want to take apart their K-x and replace something.
That would have been an invaluable info for the forums members.
04-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
"Remember a tech has to be able to do this so it can't be too hard.".
Thank god for engineers, for there is steady employment for technicians.
I mean... ever see an engineer fix anything?, ROTF FLMAO.

Anyhow, good advice about measuring hole depth.

Cheers, Mike.
Mike--you have no freaking idea. But I guess you do:

I'm in a work situation working with electrical and mechanical engineers (public agency), where if people knew what really went on, they would storm the building with pitchforks and torches.
04-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Congratulations and it would have been great if you documented it the second time around for those who would want to take apart their K-x and replace something.
That would have been an invaluable info for the forums members.
Yes, I will document the unmounting/mounting it when I will receive the glass from pentax.