Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is there a way I can turn p-TTL off or manually override it in a mode other than M?

Hello,

Is there a way I can turn p-TTL off or manually override it in a mode other than M? Let me explain: In M (Manual mode), I can set the flash to 1/1 (Full power) 1/2... etc down to 1/64. I use it a lot, especially in 1/64 to trigger my strobes. But I'd like to have this capability in Av mode. Many times I want to shoot something and I want the exposure to be calculated for the scene without flash and add a hint of fill flash. But as soon as I go into Av mode the flash goes into p-TTL mode. The only walkaround I've found is (if I have the time) to meter in Av with the flash off and then switch to M mode, use the exposure values previously selected and turn on the flash.
I'm using a Sigma 530 DG Super in my K100DS.

Thanks,

04-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #2

Unfortunately, NO.

Very frustrating and I have no idea why Pentax decided to lock out manual flash control in all modes other than M.
04-14-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Use the flash with a PC cable or wireless trigger. Without the 5-pin PTTL connections the flash will work in the A mode so you can set the expected Aperture and ISO on the flash. The flash will then work completely independently of the camera and its own sensor will determine the "proper" output.
Obviously this does not work well behind an umbrella or soft box that obscures the flash sensor.

Alternatively, if you set up the flash in A or M mode while the camera is off, then turn on the camera, the flash will remain in A or M mode and can be used independently. I've had varying luck as something often eventually causes the flash to jump back into PTTL.
(I thought you had to have the camera in Manual, but I just did this in Av to test).
04-14-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
The only walkaround I've found is (if I have the time) to meter in Av with the flash off and then switch to M mode, use the exposure values previously selected and turn on the flash.
The green button could not help you here? In manual, it should set the speed to what it would have used in Av mode (if set right).

I don't have the K100d, but that's how it works on the K10/20/7/x.

04-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The Metz 48 AF-1 allows for manual flash in Av so it is flash dependent, not camera dependent.

Setting the flash mode to slow speed sync should help get you what you want with a Pentax flash in P-TTL and with the camera in Av. You need to set both the flash and the camera for this.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 04-14-2010 at 09:54 AM.
04-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ismael,

How about masking off the contacts on the hot shoe except the main center pin using some tape (like Scotch tape)? I presume that would force the flash into manual mode with no communication with the camera body. I don't have an auto flash to try this, or I would try it with my K100DS.

-Joe-
04-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
Unfortunately, NO.

Very frustrating and I have no idea why Pentax decided to lock out manual flash control in all modes other than M.
I can't figure out why the designed it so that the 360 flash will auto zoom in "Manual", but has to be manually zoomed in "Auto"

04-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I can't figure out why the designed it so that the 360 flash will auto zoom in "Manual", but has to be manually zoomed in "Auto"
Hysterical They have a comedian on staff in the flash design department at Pentax is the only explanation for it. I picked the Metz 48 over Pentax because of this sort of thing. As previously mentioned, manual can be selected on the Metz to get around p-ttl. It also works in ttl on my MZ-3.
04-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
The only walkaround I've found is (if I have the time) to meter in Av with the flash off and then switch to M mode, use the exposure values previously selected and turn on the flash.
Thanks,
You don't need to switch b/w modes to meter. When in M, the meter in the viewfinder tells you how much your current settings are off from the current exposure. You can adjust the speed until is reads "0.0".
04-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
:Hysterical: They have a comedian on staff in the flash design department at Pentax is the only explanation for it. I picked the Metz 48 over Pentax because of this sort of thing. As previously mentioned, manual can be selected on the Metz to get around p-ttl. It also works in ttl on my MZ-3.
Thanks, Blue. I have wandered if the Metz had the same quirk. As for the comedian on staff, that is one possibility, but I was thinking it may have been a former Shimano engineer.
04-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Both my Metz's and my Nikon have an auto mode. Use it much more often than P-TTL - a function that gives me unpredictable results.

Maybe it stands for "Peculiar Through The Lens" metering.

I can dial down the flash EV on all three units (SB-26, 54 AF, 58 AF).