Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax product development roadmap - who/what is responsible?

Does anyone have any definitive answers regarding the Pentax product development process? Do they have usergroups to which they listen, or is it a relatively secretive, inaccessible, undefined 'product development' executive circle?

04-14-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have no definitive answers for you on this one. I have a lot of experience though with product development and have a general idea of how development cycles work as do many people on this board. But I'll sit back and watch this thread with intrest to see if anyone can provide any of the details you are looking for.
04-14-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I have a lot of experience though with product development and have a general idea of how development cycles work ...

Thank you
Russell
04-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Found this which relates to my question, albeit in a dated sort of way: Hoya Restructuring to Cut Pentax Jobs in Japan - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Likewise, I've been involved with product development, I'm just very curious since I havn't read anything about Pentax soliciting user feedback... anywhere... but then I wouldn't profess to have an especially thorough understanding of all things Pentax anyway...

What I've come across in industry is invites to big disti chains for periodic chats, get their feedback, find out what's hot in consumer land... take it from there... but I admit I'm shooting in the dark a little, as I don't have the first clue how Pentax/Hoya actually work

04-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

well Pentax/Hoya better get their act together.

Panasonic, Olympus and especially the newcomer Sony have been aggressive in their marketing and i do say their products deliver results.

we need to see start seeing cameramen with Pentax on their backs for major events.
04-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
What I've come across in industry is invites to big disti chains for periodic chats, get their feedback, find out what's hot in consumer land... take it from there...
I think most of that died with the economy. Product cycles are probably going to be longer, new products will be few if any, and most of the "new", for a while, will be repackaging or labelware. All the wrong moves to get people excited about spending money, but safe.

Thank you
Russell
04-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Well Nass, you could always fax them and ask.

81 3 3960 2063
04-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The problem we might see in this case is how widespread the customer base in question is. So while Pentax may not, to us, be openly soliciting customer feedback they may have a group of select users worldwide that they do use as VOC inputs for product development.

04-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The problem we might see in this case is how widespread the customer base in question is. So while Pentax may not, to us, be openly soliciting customer feedback they may have a group of select users worldwide that they do use as VOC inputs for product development.
Yes, that's my current guess as to how it works - so my next question (and reason for putting it out) was just how wrong my speculation probably actually was and does anyone know any actual facts =)
04-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

my next question (and reason for putting it out) was just how wrong my speculation probably actually was and does anyone know any actual facts =)
Those who know, don't talk.

Those who talk, don't know.

Ever was it so.

Anyway, shouldn't this be over in Rumours & Speculations & Purported News? Unless and until we can get some Pentoya defector to spill the beans about product development and the inner workings of the inscrutable corporation, we don't have an EV to look through, so to speak.

We wag our tongues and wave our hands blindly about, grasping at air and thinking we've almost grabbed something. Hey, I think I touched a K-EVIL-D! No, it's the K-FF-D! No, it's the K-RF-X! No, it's the k-m43d! No, it's the K-6x9-DF! No, it's an optical bionic implant, the K-Borg-D! No, it's swarms of flying microbots with nanolenses, networked to build inteferometric holographic imagery in infinite detail! No, it's a webcam!

We're in Aristotle's cave. Or is that Plato's cave? I'm lost.
04-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
We're in Aristotle's cave. Or is that Plato's cave? I'm lost.
Philosophically speaking the blind man wouldn't really know he was in a cave let alone whose cave it was right?
04-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Philosophically speaking the blind man wouldn't really know he was in a cave let alone whose cave it was right?
Can I give smart-ass answers? Well OK, then.

If blinded (or just blindfolded, please) and placed somewhere, I think I could judge with some accuracy if I was in a cave. Reverberation, dampness, stillness, smell, touch -- these are all good non-visual clues. Some cave creature pawing at or gnawing on me might be a clue. Bat guano would also be indicative.

And if I were to call out, "Is Plato here?" and a voice yelled back, "I'm Aristotle! Get the f*ck out of my cave, you barbarian!" then I'd have another clue. If no answer, but I hear a rumble getting louder, and felt certain structures under my feet, I might safely assume that I'm in a train or subway tunnel, not a cave, and that a hasty exit might be prudent.

Or maybe I'll meet a nice troglodyte girl...

But back to Pentax. No oncoming trains, no batsh!t, no Plato, no trog gals, just whispers and echoes. Or is that echoes and whispers? I forget. Where are those Pentoya defectors when we need them?
04-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, that's my current guess as to how it works - so my next question (and reason for putting it out) was just how wrong my speculation probably actually was and does anyone know any actual facts =)
There is a short Q&A interview with Yasuyuki Maekawa (Pentax Product Planning executive) at the end of this "first Impressions" write-up on the new 645D. (I suspect he's one of those who "know:")

Pentax 645D – Fiest Impressions & Interview

and an analysis of their stategy for Medium format here:

Pentax redefines medium-format camera landscape - Digital Cameras - Crave - CNET Asia

You'll still have to read between the lines but it gives a pretty strong impression of how Pentax intends to attack the Pro Market and that the medium format camera represents a major bet to capture a portion of the Pro shooter market.

Nothing here directly addresses how active they will be in or what direction they plan for the DSLR market (i.e those of us not planning on spending $10K for our next cameras). But it's easy to see how this medium format push will pull their focus/resources away from the DSLR market.

Regards,
-t
04-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I believe,this 645 is only the first of maybe 3 different Models.
I think the 645 is going to be a big success and let follow more variants.
I wish good luck