Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I am assuming that it is a public observatory, built with public dollars, therefore you are entitled to access just as much as any other citizen.

I think the problem is that everyone should be alloted a reasonable time limit and others should respect this. I would contact the parks board about this (or join the board). Just because someone has 'superior equipment' it doesn't mean they are automatically entitled to their spot for the entire day.

What they did was clearly rude!
Unfortunately people don't think this way. Most people I run into on things like this actually believe they purchase the entitlement along with their lens, aside from the belief of superiority they already have because they shoot nikon or canon and not a lowly pentax

07-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #62

Right after I bought my DA 40mm Limited a couple of years ago, I took it out for a spin through Central Park. About midway through the day, I crossed over the Bow Bridge, which had about a dozen photographers trying to get shots of the birds. They all had the standard massive rigs. A couple of the guys and I sort of looked at each other's equipment and had a short chuckle. I said something like, "Yeah, I know this isn't quite as impressive as your's," to which one of them replied that they were jealous of my tiny pancake. It was a pretty entertaining.

Oh, and by the time I got to the other side of the bridge, I saw a flock of geese flying in, so I quickly swapped out to my lowly DA 50-200 and got a pretty good pic of one of the geese, even though it was overcast and February.

EDIT: managed to break the link when I updated the photo on flickr. See below for newer version.

Last edited by choffman; 07-13-2010 at 07:21 PM.
07-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #63
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by choffman Quote
Right after I bought my DA 40mm Limited a couple of years ago, I took it out for a spin through Central Park. About midway through the day, I crossed over the Bow Bridge, which had about a dozen photographers trying to get shots of the birds. They all had the standard massive rigs. A couple of the guys and I sort of looked at each other's equipment and had a short chuckle. I said something like, "Yeah, I know this isn't quite as impressive as your's," to which one of them replied that they were jealous of my tiny pancake. It was a pretty entertaining.

Oh, and by the time I got to the other side of the bridge, I saw a flock of geese flying in, so I quickly swapped out to my lowly DA 50-200 and got a pretty good pic of one of the geese, even though it was overcast and February.
AH! A very pleasant story story to tell with a special photograph with which to remember the day. Thank You so much for sharing that story. Put's a nice gentle spin to the general complaints.
Alan.
07-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Hi choffman, it's a bit difficult to judge as I'm on a laptop screen, but you might want to check the levels on your shot, it looks quite underexposed to me. Common issue with matrix metering shooting into the sky, if that's what you used.

07-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Hi choffman, it's a bit difficult to judge as I'm on a laptop screen, but you might want to check the levels on your shot, it looks quite underexposed to me. Common issue with matrix metering shooting into the sky, if that's what you used.
It was underexposed. When I first "developed" the photo in Lightroom 1.0, it got way too noisy when I tried to up the exposure (as I mentioned, it was a very overcast February afternoon). With the improved noise reduction in LR 3.0, it now looks much better.